IGNORED

Hikari H7 conversion???

bulletbill

Got a 2011 R1200RT would like to do the H7 LED conversion. I was given a pair of the Hikari H7's. Anybody have experience with this setup?? Ideas, suggestions??

Bullitbill,

Like TSConver above, I've installed the Cyclops.  They are VERY good bulbs, MUCH brighter and longer lasting that the cheapo eBay bulbs, and more $, but worth it, IMHO.

I've done the complete LED conversions on several BMW's but not yours.  The main thing is clearance for the cooling fan behind the bulb. 

My '99 RT was a bit of a pain with a close fitting rubber dust boot.  I ended up cutting a hole in the dust boot and installing the bulb thru the hole into the "socket on the flange".  It has been working very well, knock on wood. 

Two other BMW's had hard covers but the fans fit inside.  EZPZ.

There are usually small "power converter" boxes on the pigtail that can be mounted inside or outside the cover.  Outside is preferable, for cooling.

Most of these new LED bulbs have a removable base that is a real help in installing.  It is a 1/4 turn twist and lock type that lets the manufacturer make one bulb and just change the flange mount to create a H7 or any other type bulb.  With the spring wire clips holding the mounting flange in the socket in the reflector that some of these bikes have, the fan conflicts with getting the clips to lock in.  The EASY way to do this is 1) remove the base from the bulb, 2) mount the base in the reflector with the spring wire clips, 3) insert the LED bulb into the base and twist-lock it in.

If your bulb is "hard to get to", stick your phone up in there and take a BUNCH of pics of those spring wire clips BEFORE you remove the OEM bulb.  They can be VERY fiddley on some bikes.  You can see it, or you can touch it, but you can't do both at the same time.

This is an H7 with the base removed and the power converter:

image.png.00906dda6bf829fce0a50d5312aa62f3.png   image.png.a472485f0c5b092a70893deb4f2e2367.png

This is the RT with the bulb thru the rubber dust cover:

image.png.24b7aa09c843c07ad4f3332815089a55.png

DON'T even bother with the "FANLESS" or "HEATSINK" type LED bulbs.  They have lower lumen output (lower light) and very short-lived (not enough air flow to cool properly is my guess).  The bulb with the fan is still going strong.  Went thru a pair of "FANLESS" in a couple of weeks.  I think the real meaning of "FANLESS" is that nobody likes them.

image.thumb.png.ee7640f9218e562cebbf2461bcbcf3a0.png

It looks like your RT has a twist -on hard cover for your bulb, from the parts diagram.  That's good, looks like there is room under the cover.

This is wbw6cos's 2019 RT headlight in the parking lot of the hotel in Newport, TN, last last year at FART.  It was VERY FIDDLEY just to get another regular bulb installed.  I think an LED would have been MUCH easier.

You can see that infernal spring clip wire that hinges down from the top.

image.png.b95a6aeac0cd256c68d5ca88f5be3563.png

image.png

16 minutes ago, Lowndes said:

It looks like your RT has a twist -on hard cover for your bulb, from the parts diagram.  That's good, looks like there is room under the cover.

This is wbw6cos's 2019 RT headlight in the parking lot of the hotel in Newport, TN, last last year at FART.  It was VERY FIDDLEY just to get another regular bulb installed.  I think an LED would have been MUCH easier.

The cyclops will fit under the factory covers. Takes some work to get all the wires stuffed in the lamp.

But in my defense Lowndes, I should have disconnected the harness first, THEN fiddle with the spring clips.  :ohboy:  I have that bent tab straightened out now.   Waiting for the next one to blow.  HA