IGNORED

Oil Change?

Wilinfla

I just returned from a trip on m y 2016 1200RT, the oil was changed by the dealer at at the 12k service before I left, I am now 1500 miles short of the 18k service. Would you change the oil  now, or wait? I had some long days 10+ hours at 70 to 85 mph. I did add maybe an 1/8 of a quart during the trip. I would always change the oil on my previous bikes after a trip, but this is my first BMW, just wondering what some opinions may be. Thanks

Will

Unless your oil looks burnt...I would do it at my leisure but before 19,000 miles.  Long runs help burn off the accumulation of water and other things that accumulate. It might be a good time after a good run like that to send an oil sample to Blackstone and get a baseline of how your engine is doing regards to producing metal.  Those runs you made are really of no concern IMHO.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Skywagon said:

Unless your oil looks burnt...I would do it at my leisure but before 19,000 miles.  Long runs help burn off the accumulation of water and other things that accumulate. It might be a good time after a good run like that to send an oil sample to Blackstone and get a baseline of how your engine is doing regards to producing metal.  Those runs you made are really of no concern IMHO.

Oil looks good, I should put the 1500 miles on pretty quick.

Unless you are going to park the bike for a few month or are leaving on another long trip, you should be fine to wait until you have ridden 6,000 miles between oil changes. You most likely can go longer than that .

'06 RT is about 2k overdue, I've done well over 10k on the RT before a change, engine seems to be fine at 140k. 

Here's a clip from my maintenance log

image.png.389a022d4b57c59372c3b0f845c83d69.png

Bikes still going strong, ugly, but still ridden every other week (GSA one week, RT the next week)