IGNORED

New Battery

hmeiseles

So Today I replace the BMW battery in my 03 K1200RS with an Odyssey PC680. It fits nicely. On my old r1100rt when you replaced the battery you had to reinitalize the computer and the fuel injection. Do I have to reinitalize the K1200RS and if I do what is the process?

Thanks

Disconnect battery, connect battery, ignition on, engine off open and close the throttle 3 times slowly. Ignition off.

Start engine normally.

HTH,

Mick

i hAVE yet to replace my battery but I asked my tech about the Odyssey dry cell technology and he stated that at least on my "K" bike - that I should stick with the BMW OEM battery. He reasons were that many non-OEM battery's have a different level of volts or something - and they won't supply enough power due to the ABS etc.

I trust him - hec, I was trying to convince him that the Odyssey was my top pick - but he quenched that wick immediately, and forcefully.

I must be confused since in electical terms the all 12 volt batteries have the about the same voltage so I wonder what you tech was talking about? So far the battery works fine.

Howard

i hAVE yet to replace my battery but I asked my tech about the Odyssey dry cell technology and he stated that at least on my "K" bike - that I should stick with the BMW OEM battery. He reasons were that many non-OEM battery's have a different level of volts or something - and they won't supply enough power due to the ABS etc.

I trust him - hec, I was trying to convince him that the Odyssey was my top pick - but he quenched that wick immediately, and forcefully.

Most of them don't understand elecricity. : ))

I use the Panasonic AGM batteries in all three bikes. I replace them every 4 years and have only had ONE fail in service but that was after 6 years when I forgot to replace it on my normal schedule.

The one for K-Bikes is the LC-X1220P 20AH vs 16 for the odyssey and 275 CCA vs 220 for the odyssey. $47 from Digikey.com with free shipping.

Mick

i'LL hAVE tO beat on him next time I'm down to KC at Engle's...I'll find out why he said what he said..

Most of them don't understand elecricity. : ))

Exactly. He's talking through his hat.

Bob.

Paul Mihalka

"Odyssey battery won't supply enough power due to ABS" - that, to say it printable, is bovine manure. The BMW R1100 oilheads are famous for having ABS faults at startup because of lack of cranking power. The well known fix is a Odyssey battery.

bONE, Mick is spot on. I found the Panasonic batteries, and Laney found them on Digikey (the best possible price anywhere)... Heck, way back in '02. grin.gif

Seriously, we've been using them successfully, and long lived for several years. I still don't think there's anything better, even at the higher prices. And that's really for folks who are in fact OEMing the Panasonic unit.

See you down the road, brother.

• 3 months later...

Hey guys, question here, as I was about to pay over $100 for an OEM gel unit to replace the 'wet' battery on my '03.

Is it the same size as stock? For some reason, that Panasonic looks taller than stock on the photo, and might be a problem if I want to carry the took kit (which I do).

And it's a drop-in replacement from stock (no drilling, no adapters, etc) from what I read, right? It shows '0' available at Digikey, by the way. Have to find out what's the lead time.

Thanks for your help.

JC, stay away from the GEL. Mick

Hey Mick, are they still problematic? Thought the problems when they came out were over.

So the Panasonic then, huh?

He's wrong. Odysseys work very well indeed. Besides, they are NOT "dry cells". They are "AGM" batteries (AKA "valve regulated"). They are very wet indeed inside; each cell is just sealed by a pressure relief valve.

An AGM battery requires a little higher voltage for a final charge, but all this means is that the battery will reach (perhaps) the 95% charge level instead of 100%. So what! Because of the use of basically pure lead plates (instead of lead alloyed with antimony or calcium for stiffness), the Odyssey has lower resistance, and therefore higher cranking power than a "normal" lead acid battery.

JC, stay away from the GEL. Mick

Hey Mick, are they still problematic? Thought the problems when they came out were over.

So the Panasonic then, huh?

Yes,

The GEL is still a poor choice for a battery on a motorcycle. dopeslap.gif

Mick

Thanks for the heads up gentlemen; will stay away from the gel then.

Called Digikey, and they won't have our battery until October (darn!). Since I have a weeklong trip to CO on Sep 24, and would like to have a new battery, I'll probably have to get it from another place... at TWICE the price (geez). But still cheaper than a BMW gel. Thanks for your help again.

Hey Mick, thanks a lot for the recommendation buddy, but they were one of the many vendors I already tried. And yes, like most, they also showed the battery 'in stock', when indeed it wasn't.

I tried every vendor who popped up on Google, even if the price was twice as much ($85 is still a good deal compared to OEM), but nobody had one.

I guess I'll take my chances with the OEM; still working perfectly after 4 years, but didn't want to risk failure for $80. At least I tried dopeslap.gif. Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to this post, I sourced a new Panasonic battery for my '02 RT. I ordered it from DigiKey, as they claimed to handle all the US --> Canada details for the delivery.

Wow - what great service. I ordered the battery at 3pm on Thursday. It was at my house when I got back from work on Friday at 5pm! They shipped with purolater, and covered the Canadian customs clearance which can often hold things up. All this and a price of $68 Canadian with the GST.

Anyone out there looking for a new battery I highly recomend this source.thumbsup.gif

Great news Stephen. Remember to fully charge it before using it; that extends its life considerably.

I'm supposed to get mine today clap.gif. Nobody had a Panasonic available before my CO tour, and really wanted that one, so took my chances with the stock battery, and fortunately, no issues.

Digikey just got a shipment of 300+ batteries last week, so ordered mine on Thursday: $60 delivered. A bargain, if you ask me. Hope no alterations are necessary, but worst care scenario is enlarging holes; no biggie. Take care.

Digikey just got a shipment of 300+ batteries last week, so ordered mine on Thursday:

Well that sux. Since Digikey had been out of stock on them for a while, I ended up springing for a Yuasa, as I couldn't wait any longer (cranking was starting to seem labored on cold mornings).

Oh well, maybe in another four years... grin.gif

Archived