IGNORED

Time to stop riding

Highway41

Sold the RT yesterday - first time bike-less since ’95.

Rode Triumphs in the 60s and 70s, Hondas in the 70s, Harleys in the 90s, and BMWs in the 20s.  At least 300K miles with 220K on three RTs.  The RT is the best bike ever, Camhead the best RT!

Highlights were lots of miles chasing Bernie  and others at pace all over the Southeast and out west; 17 rides west of the Big Muddy; many rides to GA/NC/AL/TN/KY/VA.  Especially western NC, my favorite place.

One major get-off at speed - will forever be grateful to Bernie and George in that time of need.

Enjoyed being on the ST Board.  Learned a lot, met a lot of nice folks, made new friends, encountered just one AH.

While bike riding is over, there is a consolation prize - Bride bought me a 2011 335i with 11K miles.  Same color as the RT.  She is happy.  I’m happy.

Best of luck.

• Like 7

The next chapter is always better than the last.  It seems like you had a great read, so far.   

Wishing you well in your future!

Cheers,

30 minutes ago, Highway41 said:

Sold the RT yesterday - first time bike-less since ’95.

Rode Triumphs in the 60s and 70s, Hondas in the 70s, Harleys in the 90s, and BMWs in the 20s.  At least 300K miles with 220K on three RTs.  The RT is the best bike ever, Camhead the best RT!

Highlights were lots of miles chasing Bernie  and others at pace all over the Southeast and out west; 17 rides west of the Big Muddy; many rides to GA/NC/AL/TN/KY/VA.  Especially western NC, my favorite place.

One major get-off at speed - will forever be grateful to Bernie and George in that time of need.

Enjoyed being on the ST Board.  Learned a lot, met a lot of nice folks, made new friends, encountered just one AH.

While bike riding is over, there is a consolation prize - Bride bought me a 2011 335i with 11K miles.  Same color as the RT.  She is happy.  I’m happy.

Best of luck.

Ronald Reagan liked to ride horses.  He was riding with Caspar Weinberger, when he announced it would be his last horse ride.  He never rode again.  I know that I have a last motorcycle ride in the future, but I also hope I have the good fortune to replace it with something else just as satisfying.  The BMW sounds pretty nice.  :-)

57 minutes ago, Highway41 said:

encountered just one AH.

Sorry Bill. :D 

It’s been said a thousand times, if you like the group you can still participate. ;) Bill F. has a cool “Cars” thread going on in other Topics. :clap:

Good to know when it's time versus finding out you stayed one too long.  I hung up my flying in June of 2020 and haven't looked back.  After 40 years of flying with a lot of it in hazardous operations....I don't miss it at all.  As wbw6cos said...wbThe next chapter is always better than the last.  It has been for me and it will be for you.

Good on you for knowing.  I'm hoping when it's my time, I can quit gracefully and that the C-8 Corvettes with be a little more easier to get.  

• Like 2

Stay in touch my friend and I think you will enjoy that 335i almost as much as your CamHead.

You can always lower the roof and wear your helmet if you miss the wind in your face. 

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 1
12 hours ago, dba said:

Good on you for knowing.  I'm hoping when it's my time, I can quit gracefully and that the C-8 Corvettes with be a little more easier to get.  

Congrats on a long and safe riding life. 

As to the C-8, they might be easier to get but will become harder to get in and out off. :27:

• Like 1
MichiganBob

Desiderata ... "Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth." 

Kenny Rogers ... "You gotta know when to hold them, know when to show them, know when to walk away, know when to run."

That's it, I'm out of pithy quotes ... Good health and fortune to you.

MichiganBob

I bailed out two years ago. Time was right for me. I have the photos, and the memories, but mostly I have the friends.... 

Keep on reading this site... and enjoy the ride and use your experiences to tell stories and to make hints.

1 hour ago, Knobby10 said:

If you don't mind, what contributing factor(s) led you to that decision?

Age, heart attack, stents, closed carotid, colon cancer, hip replacement, cataract surgery, fused T5 and plated collarbone. Am deep in the red zone of bad statistics.

Thanks for the information, I'm bordering on 76 and most of my riding buddies have quit or went to 3 wheelers. So I'm looking at alternatives as well. 

Good luck with the Beemer, I love those cars as well. Take care and be well...

3 hours ago, Highway41 said:

Age, heart attack, stents, closed carotid, colon cancer, hip replacement, cataract surgery, fused T5 and plated collarbone. Am deep in the red zone of bad statistics.

What the hell is left? ;) If you walked through all of that you’re good for another hundred thousand, easy! :classic_biggrin: :thumbsup: 

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Highway41 said:

I salute you.  You persevered through challenges and beyond.  Best of fortune and happiness in your new adventures. 

All of us will face the same decision, and I hope I make mine with the same clear-eyed resolve.

• Like 2