IGNORED

Icon Raiden Jacket and Pants Review

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

Icon Raiden Jacket and Pants intro

Since its introduction, Icon’s Raiden gear has been a staple underdog in the adventure gear market. Now in its third iteration, the Raiden jacket and pants have been refined into a reliable option with a more mature and subtle style.

Icon RaidenJacketPants FB

Both jacket and pants start with a Supplex three-layer waterproof/breathable nylon shell, complete with seam taping. Impact areas are reinforced with sturdy 500D Cordura, and the inseam of the pants has Supplex Kevlar for protection from heat and extra wear, such as contact with the bike or a road slide. All zippers are YKK waterproof units with storm flaps or gussets where needed. Additionally, the pants have an inner gaiter at the ankle to help prevent water ingress. Safety-wise, both pieces feature blacked-out reflective striping for a low-key look in daylight and good visibility at night. The jacket and pants come with a full complement of D3O CE Level 1 armor—elbows, shoulders, back, hips, and knees.

Icon built a few smart features into this kit. The jacket has chest vents and hooks with elastic loops to hold the collar open. Cargo pockets on both legs sit on the front instead of the legs’ sides, so they’re just as accessible when seated or standing. Both belt loops and suspenders are included to accommodate your preference.

Icon RaidenJacketPants chest

Fit between the two pieces differs slightly; I’d describe the jacket as a fitted cut. Large fits me as it should but isn’t quite as roomy in the mid-section as previous Raiden jackets. Included is a full liner with mesh panels in the armpits to allow the jacket vents to work if needed; the liner is nicely finished, and I wear it off the bike as a light jacket, too. A couple of Velcro straps provide adjustment on the sides, elastics and hooks on the biceps, and a bungee at the neck. The pants are designed as overpants and are quite roomy and relaxed. Full-length zippers on the inseam of the legs allow for easy donning of the pants over boots. Unfortunately, the relaxed fit leaves the knee armor a bit loose for my taste; however, there is plenty of room to accommodate any knee protection you desire. Velcro provides fit adjustment on the pants at the waist and ankle.

Icon RaidenJacketPants pants 2

Weather resistance of the Raiden kit is overall quite good. I stress-tested it as Hurricane Laura rolled through my area. It held up to several hours of on/off moderate rain but did leak in the crotch/seat area after an hour of extremely heavy rain at highway speeds. In all “normal” rain or mist conditions, I stayed perfectly dry, but if I were to wear this suit on a long trip, I’d likely still carry a rain suit for extra protection, just in case.

Icon RaidenJacketPants test

Venting is a mix of direct and indirect vents on the jacket, and the pants have direct vents on the outside of the legs. The direct armpit vents, double-sided cuff zippers, and collar stays do the bulk of the work for you up top, and the leg vents let in a little air to help. I was initially disappointed that the jacket’s chest vents don’t vent directly inside, but I think the extra water resistance is a good trade-off after wearing it for a while. With everything open, it’s not quite enough airflow for mid-Atlantic hot and humid summer weather; even Icon states this gear wasn’t necessarily intended to be worn in hot weather, with ideal climates indicated as being from cold to mild temps. I’ve found it most comfortable between 45° and 80°F; below this range, you’ll want to bring some good base and mid-layers to the party.

Icon has done well with the most recent iteration in the Raiden lineup, living up to the reputation of prior generations as well as making improvements to provide solid, well-rounded protection for your adventures.

Icon RaidenJacketPants last

RideIcon.com

MSRP: Jacket $495–$525 | Pants $375–$395

Colors: Grey/Hi-Viz or Blue

PROS:

• Full suite of D3O armor
  • Jacket liner works on and off the bike
  • Great mix of features and style

CONS:

• Too warm for year-round use
  • Knee armor too loose when worn alone

Where to Buy: