IGNORED

Oh, You Know, Oil.....

Twisties

Yes, I've contacted the manufacturer (no response yet), but since it's oil, I can't resist.  Here goes:

It's a 2011 Encore Prowler 61" Zero Turn Mower.  The specification for the hydraulic system is 20w50 CD engine oil.  CD is obsolete.  API says CH-4 and CI-4 can be used in place of CD.  But, CJ-4 and CK-4 may not.  But I think they are thinking in terms of engines, not hydraulics.

So, then there is reality.  Most diesel oils out there have multiple ratings.   Shell Rotella T4 is rated CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CI-4, and CH-4.  So it has grades that may, and grades that may not, be substituted for CD.  As well, it's not available in 20w50, but rather 15w40.  Indeed the closest I can find in any diesel oil at both O'Rielly and Autozone, who happen to have decent online search and local stores here in the boonies, is 15w50, but that is rated only CI-4 Plus...  which I guess is still a CI-4 oil but API is not saying what the difference is.  Are we clear, yet? 

I think the prior owner used a high zinc 20w50 motorcycle oil.

What should I put in my mower?  At this point, the Rotella T4 15-40 is widely available and cheap....   

API Diesel Classifications