IGNORED

New to me 2013 90 Jahre

Jharpphoto

After reluctantly selling my GSA last year I have been on the hunt for a low mileage RT.  I missed out on several bikes that were in the sub $10K range due to my hesitation. Yesterday however I found a local to me 2013 BMW RT 90 Jahre. I was unfamiliar  with this particular model so I was delighted to see that it was in excellent condition and had the unusual cosmetic touches of the 90 Jahre model.  The seller is an older gentleman and had the bike listed at $8500 w/ a Seargent saddle, auxillary lighting and Nav installed as well as a BMW tank bag.  I feel like that is a great price on a bike with only 9K miles on it.  I'm picking up the bike next week but was quick to give the seller a deposit to hold the bike.  I'm pretty excited to be back in the 2 wheeled game.  Is there anything I should know about '13 model RT's or the Jahre models?  I've owned a 2011 and 2012 RT previously.  There is a little "dial" on the left of the bike just above the power outlet that I'm unclear on it's purpose. The current owner wasn't sure what it is either. Does anyone here know what that could be. It might be a little hard to see in the photo.

RT 4.jpeg

rt 1.jpeg

rt 2.jpeg

Rt3.jpeg

• Like 1

Nice find. I have the same bike but with a radio and that’s where the radio controls are. Your knob looks aftermarket and like a gerbing heated gear knob.  Look under the seat for the wire that would plug into a jacket. 

Ah, interesting.  I'll check that out.  I guess if that is what the knob is I should start looking for a heated jacket eh?

Looks nice, same as mine but I also have the radio/audio controls on the left side.  I wonder if that control knob might be a dimmer control switch for the aux. lights?

I turned on the aux lights and watched them as the dial was rotated and didn't see an variation in the light output. 

@Jharpphoto: Where did you see that listed? I just put an ad up on mine (same 90th anniv version) for about the same price and am looking for more places to advertise it.

• Not sure what year GS you had but the one thing to watch for is clutch slippage due to the reservoir being too full. The clutch hydraulics cause the fluid level to increase in the reservoir as it wears. If you don't drain it occasionally it will cause a hydraulic lock-like situation and it will start slipping. I go a year or more between drains so it's not something you need to check every day, just something to know since it's contra intuitive.
  • There are two recalls that need to be done: 1 is for one or both switch clusters and the other one is a new fuel pump recall. I just had mine done. Your local BMW dealer should be able to check using your VIN whether they have been done.
  • Get GT-spec tires. This is a big machine and needs the stiffness they provide. I had non-GT tires one when I bought it used and they wore in about 6k miles. I'm running Battlax T31 GTs for the last 11k miles and they both look like they have several thousand more to go.

I truly believe the later Camheads like hours are the very pinnacle of BMW boxers. No issues, just gas and go.

hey, Thanks for your feedback.  I found the bike on cycletrader.  I'll check the VIN on the recall.  thanks again and stay safe.

2 hours ago, Jharpphoto said:

I turned on the aux lights and watched them as the dial was rotated and didn't see an variation in the light output. 

On 8/1/2021 at 6:29 AM, DaveCinNO said:

a gerbing heated gear knob.

I think Dave called it ... sure does look like a permanent gerbings controller knob, and its in the right location for one .... I've installed 2 over the years , very nice vs the mobile controller

Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 7.11.03 AM.png

Congratulations:18:You found what many believe to be the best of the oil cooled RT's!! The 90 Jahre is the only one I would swap out my 2011 for.....:5185:

14 minutes ago, Jharpphoto said:

that looks exactly right.  Thanks guys.  I think I'll need shop for a Gerbing heated jacket now right?

I'd confirm the wiring  all the way back to the battery first ... ya never know :cool:.

That short coax should be connected to the knob assembly right under the panel and then the longer one plugs in and runs back to the battery.  If it was installed correctly, there should also be single led bulb protruding from the panel  right next to the knob... its on the end of the wire right next to the knob in the picture.  Given the angle of the picture, it has to be to the right of the knob.  Its the heat level indicator ... blink frequency shows level.  If the led is not actually installed and just under the panel, the controller will still work, you just have to guess (by warmth) the level and the amount of turn on the knob.

7 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

Congratulations:18:You found what many believe to be the best of the oil cooled RT's!! The 90 Jahre is the only one I would swap out my 2011 for.....:5185:

Mine is for sale. Just saying...$8,700, low suspension, fully farkled, meticulously maintained. :4296:

On 8/1/2021 at 9:06 AM, Jharpphoto said:

Ah, interesting.  I'll check that out.  I guess if that is what the knob is I should start looking for a heated jacket eh?

If you ride in chilly conditions, or downright cold, yes, you should get an electric jacket. You will never be without one again!

13 hours ago, Pappy35 said:

Mine is for sale

The low suspension won't work for me, otherwise a trip to Tennessee sounds good! Good luck with the sale:18:

• Like 1
On 8/2/2021 at 10:33 AM, 9Mary7 said:

Is there a VIN decoder that I could check out the new to me RT?  

Any BMW Motorrad dealer can give you a printout of the build sheet for your bike. This will include the options that came on it, any dealer installed extras and the ordering dealer when it was new.

I picked up the 2013 RT 90 Jahre yesterday!!! And signed an employment contract for a new job.  Needless to say, pretty big day for me.   I took the bike out for a short spin around dusk last night on one of my usual 30 min loops.  I really missed being on the bike and it felt like an old friend, albeit a very fast, nimble and exhilarating friend.

• Like 2