IGNORED

Adding accessories to battery

BobW03

When I purchased my 2016 it already had Clearwater lights and the leads are direct to the battery. I also added a lead to recharge the battery and another for heated gear. THat makes 3 additional connections stacked on each post. A couple months ago I found the negative terminal was a bit loose.

When I owned an 03 I had a fuse block with a relay for additional powered devices.

Is anyone using a fuse block or some other device on a wethead? Not sure I really need the Denali can bus add-on. And I would need to keep the lead for my Battery Minder attached directly.

If I add a fuse block or other device I still have 2 additional wires directly connected to the battery;  am I overthinking this?

Prolly a little, but a fuse block would clean up the connection at the battery.  I am assuming each of your leads have some type of fuse or breaker and if not the the fuse block would be a great improvement.

I have taken a similar approach  with only one fused accessory line connected directly to the battery from a HEX ezCAN which has 4 assignable power ports for lights, horn, and usb devices.  It can be programmed for many uses including max load, how long the port stays open on power off and the like.  Nice unit, but does cost more than a old school fused power block.

I think HEX makes Clearwater ’s CANBus controller, but I am not certain how much flexibly the Clearwater controller has to be be assigned for other uses, but it could be exactly the same thing

2 hours ago, BobW03 said:

When I purchased my 2016 it already had Clearwater lights and the leads are direct to the battery. I also added a lead to recharge the battery and another for heated gear. THat makes 3 additional connections stacked on each post. A couple months ago I found the negative terminal was a bit loose.

When I owned an 03 I had a fuse block with a relay for additional powered devices.

Is anyone using a fuse block or some other device on a wethead? Not sure I really need the Denali can bus add-on. And I would need to keep the lead for my Battery Minder attached directly.

If I add a fuse block or other device I still have 2 additional wires directly connected to the battery;  am I overthinking this?

Evening  BobW03

Personally I'm not a big fan of add-on fuse boxes unless absolutely necessary (like needing ignition controlled battery direct circuits). Those fuse boxes just use up space that I have allocated for other more important things.

I like the individual (water proof) sealed fuses as they can be easily packaged. When I install more than one stand alone fuse I just cut the eye rings off of all of them then use a single eye ring with all the wires crimped then soldered into that one eye ring (makes installation neater, more secure, & easier to deal with.  Same with the ground side, I just crimp then solder all the ground wires into a single eye ring. 

• Like 1

I wanted to respond, but I don't know which bike you own.  I went to your profile and couldn't find it there either.

M