IGNORED

Top Case Maintenance

bmw_keith

I have an r1200rt with a bmw top case 71607681701 (basically this one https://www.bmw-motorrad-bohling.com/bmw-top-case-with-28-liter-inner-space-for-different-bmw-motorcycles.html

It's going on ~15 years old now and the lock is getting difficult to push in. I have to do it with the key just right. Also the top doesn't close easy anymore, I have to wiggle it a bit to get it down. 

So after all this time, it probably needs some TLC. is it just some lubrication? what type? can it be done from the outside or do I need to disassemble?

I have the same issue and believe it is wear on the internal latch components. I took mine apart last winter and found that all was clean and well lubricated. It is a little tricky to get back together correctly..........

I push the latch handle in slightly as I push the lock button and it releases easily....... and then a little wiggle as I close the lid and it seats properly.

I figure with all the opening and closing over 15 years it deserves a little TLC.:dontknow: