IGNORED

Lowering footpegs R1200GS - clearance issues?

Peter H.

I am trying to find a way to lower the footpegs on my R1200GS. On longer rides, I could really use a a bit more room for my 34" inseam. Suburban Machinery makes a great looking footpeg kit - they claim the pegs end up being 1.4" lower. I am worried that kind of drop could cause some clearance issues on tight cornering (pegs and toes!).

Anybody using the Suburban Machinery pegs? I'd love to hear your comments. Any other alternatives to consider?

Thanks,

Peter

I'd be really uncomfortable lowering the pegs that much. They scrape enough already.

With that inseam, why not just use a seat pad or a higher seat?

Maybe the Fastway Evolution pegs in the low setting? According to H. Marc Lewis' site (www.r1200gs.info), he hasn't scraped his. I just ordered a set because I've got the same inseam, and I'd like more room without swapping out my Sargent saddle or paying more to have it re-worked. OTOH, my riding style (if you could call it that) generally doesn't induce scraping.

Paul Mihalka

On the R1200GS, is your seat in the high position? Also, a extra high seat is available from BMW. OTOH, scraping footpegs in turns is a matter of how you ride. Yes, lowering footpegs will decrease your cornering clearance. But with good lines, good body positioning, slow in/fast out riding style you'll probably do allright. I had the lowering kits on my R1100RT and now I have them on my R1150R. All I have to remember is to pull up my toes (it's good riding practice anyways) on a twisting road.

OTOH, scraping footpegs in turns is a matter of how you ride. Yes, lowering footpegs will decrease your cornering clearance. But with good lines, good body positioning, slow in/fast out riding style you'll probably do allright. I had the lowering kits on my R1100RT and now I have them on my R1150R. All I have to remember is to pull up my toes (it's good riding practice anyways) on a twisting road.

Paul, you can do all those things really well and still scrape on the 12GS quite easily. I just want to point out that "scraping pegs" doesn't really mean anything. It could be really bad technique...or it could be really good technique executed aggressively, or on a road with a bad cambered turn, or whatever. smile.gif

I am trying to find a way to lower the footpegs on my R1200GS. On longer rides, I could really use a a bit more room for my 34" inseam. Suburban Machinery makes a great looking footpeg kit - they claim the pegs end up being 1.4" lower. I am worried that kind of drop could cause some clearance issues on tight cornering (pegs and toes!).

Anybody using the Suburban Machinery pegs? I'd love to hear your comments. Any other alternatives to consider?

Thanks,

Peter

I thought the Suburban ones were too expensive ($179.00?) so I decided to try the Fastway pegs. They don't lower your feet as much, but they do provide a little more room, and are nicely made. Got mine from Andrew at http://www.adventurersworkshop.com/

Hmmm . . . I hadn't though of a higher seat. That may be the answer.

I haven't scraped the pegs yet but I did rough up the toe of my boot last weekend on a sharp turn (my fault - bad foot position). Based on that one experience, I am really not sure I want to drop the pegs any lower.

Thanks for the help.

Peter

Archived