IGNORED

Continuing to tune my R1100S, angry bees are living in my engine, what to do.

Kilohertz

I am continuing to tweak my '99 R1100S and still have a few things to do/figure out. I just finished reading the Riders Manual and now realize I have a rear shock damping screw to setup, but I can't get at it because of the Z-Technic exhaust so I need to make up a tool to make any adjustments. I also finally got the courage to rev past 4000 RPM and when I got to about 4500 and up, I am getting a pretty good buzz, like 100's of angry bees in the engine, I wouldn't call it dangerously vibrating but it definitely isn't as smooth as it is at 3000.  I also got to ride a friends '04 R1150RT-P on the weekend and in the first 30 seconds had it at 6000 RPM and didn't realize it , it was that smooth, which has now prompted me to determine what is wrong with mine. The difference is like one had rubber engine mounts, mine didn't, it was that noticeable.

One of the things on my to do list is either clean or replace the injectors, I have read the R1200GS are the go-to injectors??  If they are not quite balanced I would imagine that could cause the imbalance buzz?  The manometer shows it balanced at 4500, and at idle. I have new 3923 plugs in it also. One other thing I notice is that I get fairly consistent decel popping, most noticeable on downshifts. I'm not concerned about it but between that and the borderline too lean that BMW has tuned into the Motronic I am wondering if I may start looking at tuning the CHIP, ie copying the PROM and then modifying it and programming onto an EPROM. I have all the equipment to do it...anyone here played with that level of tuning? Know what the PROM is? I'll research on my own as well. I know the easy way out is to install the AFX-ied but by the time it gets here it will be $300. For me it would be more fun retuning the MAPS in the Motronic. :4322:

I found the page in the manual where it shows the helmet lock but I can't find it on the bike. :facepalm:  Could someone tell me exactly where it is, or post a pic? I feel kinda stupid but...

Going out for a quick ride tonight to try a couple of new jackets...more later.

Cheers 

1 hour ago, Kilohertz said:

which has now prompted me to determine to determine what is wrong with mine.

also finally got the courage to rev past 4000 RPM and when I got to about 4500 and up, I am getting a pretty good buzz, like 100's of angry bees in the engine, I wouldn't call it dangerously vibrating but it definitely isn't as smooth as it is at 3000. 

You be babying the poor thing ... it needs to occasionally (and potentially more often than that :))   see 7-8 grand .  Its never gonna be super smooth perfection regardless of injectors or mapping - although it may help.  Also hard to compare the engine on the 04 1150 to the 99 1100S 

Sorry to say (in my opinion) you are most likely chasing something you will never achieve ....but if you run it out you might be surprised on how much better it will run overall later..... and yeah, 4000 to 4500 is pretty much the worst place to be steady state RPM.

szurszewski

The helmet lock is just a little loop of “wire” welded onto the frame. There should be two, I think, on your bike - one on each side. You have to remove the seat, loop your d-ring over the wire and then latch the seat. A hassle if you have the cowl in place. 

I will snap a pic for you tomorrow if no one has posted one. 

It’s nice here, but for S specific stuff like tuning you should really head over to the pelican parts 1100s forum. You’ll have to wade through a lot of chaff, but the good stuff is there too. 

Oh - and I thought the same as mr. Olson. If you’re not riding the bike over 4K rpm you’re not really riding it at all. It’s happiest starting about 5k. The only time I’m traveling below that is cruising on a boring highway. 

2 hours ago, chrisolson said:

You be babying the poor thing ... it needs to occasionally (and potentially more often than that :))   see 7-8 grand 

Sorry to say (in my opinion) you are most likely chasing something you will never achieve ....but if you run it out you might be surprised on how much better it will run overall later..... and yeah, 4000 to 4500 is pretty much the worst place to be steady state RPM.

Well shoot, that's pretty much my personality and the way I operate all my machinery. I run the excavator and Bobcat at about 1/2- 3/4 throttle, never red line my cars...maybe I should start "living" and get a little more feisty.  :bike: Hell the only thing I run wide open is my lawnmower.

I'll go for another ride tomorrow and give her a little more willie...Remember I also come from a Virago cruiser background...It's going to take a while to shake that...

1 hour ago, szurszewski said:

The helmet lock is just a little loop of “wire” welded onto the frame. There should be two, I think, on your bike - one on each side. You have to remove the seat, loop your d-ring over the wire and then latch the seat. A hassle if you have the cowl in place. 

I will snap a pic for you tomorrow if no one has posted one. 

It’s nice here, but for S specific stuff like tuning you should really head over to the pelican parts 1100s forum. You’ll have to wade through a lot of chaff, but the good stuff is there too. 

Oh - and I thought the same as mr. Olson. If you’re not riding the bike over 4K rpm you’re not really riding it at all. It’s happiest starting about 5k. The only time I’m traveling below that is cruising on a boring highway. 

Thanks, I'll look again tomorrow under the seat, I was looking outside of the seat area, like most other bikes, for a loop with a key lock. Yes, I found the Pelican forum ripe with techy topics...maybe I'll give that a try as well, thanks.

Okay so riding above 5K tomorrow is on the agenda...oh boy...keep my hands inside the car at all times...:revit:  

Jeez, you guys are going to make a bike rider out of me eventually...over 5K RPM, leaning over in corners...what next??!!  Scraping the foot pegs?? #$%!... going to have to get the lowering pegs to make that easier. ha ha ...I LOVE IT!!

Cheers

Remember I also come from a Virago cruiser background...It's going to take a while to shake that...

:3:

I also finally got the courage to rev past 4000 RPM and when I got to about 4500 and up, I am getting a pretty good buzz, like 100's of angry bees in the engine, I wouldn't call it dangerously vibrating but it definitely isn't as smooth as it is at 3000.  I also got to ride a friends '04 R1150RT-P on the weekend and in the first 30 seconds had it at 6000 RPM and didn't realize it , it was that smooth, which has now prompted me to determine what is wrong with mine. The difference is like one had rubber engine mounts, mine didn't, it was that noticeable.

Morning Kilohertz

That 3800-4800  RPM up engine "buzz" is pretty well normal. They ALL do that!

That is too high of an RPM for it to be fueling or spark, in THAT RPM range it is almost all mechanical.   

The BMW 1100/1150 engines are inherently balanced (statically)  but the pistons go in & out opposed SO they can not be directly across from each other therefore you get a "rocking couple" type higher RPM buzz.

Some are worse than others, some motorcycle designs handle the high RPM buzz differently due to handlebar placement, foot peg placement, exhaust design & mounting, etc.

About all you can do to effect that buzz is to make darn sure ALL the engine,  chassis, accessory, handlebar  bolts are tight, the exhaust is stock & is not grounding out or buzzing, etc.

You really can't eliminate the higher RPM BOXER engine buzz but you can work with handlebar end weight, handlebar mounting, foot peg tuning, exhaust types, to get it somewhat acceptable.   Keep in mind that when comparing to other BMW boxer  bikes final drive ratios, handlebar design differences, seating position, exhaust design / mounting, etc can have a big  effect.

Also something to consider__   Some riders have reported a stronger mid to high RPM engine buzz due to a high oil level in the crankcase (I haven't ever been able to confirm this) but you might try lowering the oil level to just above minimum as a test. 

I also have a service bulletin on a run of 1100S motorcycles having incorrect (mismatched) pistons but I believe that was only  for the later 2004 era 1100S bikes. 

szurszewski
10 hours ago, Kilohertz said:

Okay so riding above 5K tomorrow is on the agenda...oh boy...keep my hands inside the car at all times...:revit:

You don’t necessarily have to be going fast - just run up the rpms a bit higher before you shift. You’ll find the bike much more sensitive to throttle inputs at 5k than at 3.5k - it’s a lot more fun, but you’re still not riding a twitchy sport bike,

so you’re not going to throw the front wheel into the air on accident. Probably. ;)

szurszewski
15 hours ago, Kilohertz said:

Thanks, I'll look again tomorrow under the seat, I was looking outside of the seat area, like most other bikes, for a loop with a key lock.

Nothing so fancy on most bmws - I mean, do you have any idea how much that would cost? No way bmw could include those and maintain the low prices for which they are famous!

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, dirtrider said:

The BMW 1100/1150 engines are inherently balanced (statically)  but the pistons go in & out opposed SO they can not be directly across form each other therefore you get a "rocking couple" type higher RPM buzz.

Yup the Beemer Buz and as the displacement goes up it tends to be more pronounced, as oilheads and earlier motors have no counterbalancer to  tame it. The R50 airheads were the smoothest, but still had it.  By the time the R90 and R100 came out it was quite notable.  Haha, to help get over it, find someone with a vintage Brit bike, or a Hawg with a solid mounted motor, and you'll experience some real vision blurring vibes!  Back in the 80's I was riding a R75/5 and complained that at 4K rpms I had trouble making out the make of cars in my rea rview, my friend who rode a solid mounted motor Hawg, commented "You can see your mirrors?"

• Haha 1

I've always found the R1100S to be a little buzzier than the more tame models. There's a theory that riding at higher rpm eventually smooths out the engine. It may be that it vibrates so much at 8000 rpm that 5000 rpm sounds downright peaceful. That being said, it's kind of a sportbike. it can go to red line all day long, every day, for years.

• Like 1

Kilohertz,

I was afraid to reve mine at first, too.  Now the rev limiter is my shift point, most all gears.  Don't worry, the ECU won't let you get any higher.  First time I hit it I hought I'd dropped a valve.  Had to stop and get the portable paddles out.  

Let those Angry Bees OUTA that ENGINE!!

Thanks guys for all the helpful and witty comments, it made my afternoon.  :clap: I'm not getting email notifications again so I had no idea of all the replies.

Well we are socked right with wildfire smoke right now and it is too uncomfortable to be outside for too long so the ride will have to be postponed.  

I'm not bothered by the buzzing, I was more concerned that something was amiss but as this is normal, I won't worry about it anymore. I have the bar backs and grip puppies installed now and riding is much more comfortable, my hands haven't gone to sleep in over 2 weeks. Yesterday I ticked over 1,000 KM ridden since I bought it,  yeah! I just about lost it in a corner on the last leg of my twisty ride, came into a curve and there two  strips of gravel on the road with just a little clear patch in the middle, some "oh shxt" moments and careful slowing and steering got me thru it....gotta love the handling.

Anyway, still want to play with possible new injectors and tuning the Ma2.4....all in good time.

Cheers

3 minutes ago, Kilohertz said:

I'm not getting email notifications again

Have you verified your "Notification Settings" ?  Click on Account Settings to get there ...

Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 5.29.02 PM.png

Then ...Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 5.33.02 PM.png

When I first got my R1100RT a few years ago, I too worried about the vibe in the grips. DR told me about the Beemer buzz and recommended I give it a years or so. Said it will still be there but you won't feel it any longer. He was right. I didn't and still don't feel it. So give it time.

Miguel

Thanks all,

Email fixed...it was my server...46 emails arrived all at once, bloody hell. Still better than paper mail. :-)

Cheers

When I was Selling BMW's to cruiser riders it almost always invoked a lugging of the boxer.

Shift too low.

Despite telling them not to before the test ride.

Try riding the bike as intended, and enjoy it.

The bike will thank you.

Best wishes.

• Like 2

I can tell you from experience that the rev limiter on an R1150RT-P works as a quick shifter when you pre-load the shifter and pin the throttle...... :revit:

• Thanks 1

RPM's are your friend on a Boxer. Had my R90s out last night and hit redline a few times just to keep things running smoothly. You're not abusing it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1