IGNORED

Anyone Been To the Isle of Man TT

MichiganBob

I'm working on my bucket list and wondering if anyone has been to the Isle of Man TT? If so, what was it like? Do you have any advice or suggestions?

Thanks.

MichiganBob

Laura and I took a holiday with her aunt, uncle, and cousin two weeks prior to the races one year.   We drove the course in a car, but I hope to someday ride that on a motorbike.  :bike:  (At speed. Well, my speed anyway.)

Maybe be there for viewing the races, too.

Quite the views for specators.  Wow.

Pat, I belive that was baby talk for vroom, vroom, .............vrooooooooooom!

• Like 2

I went in 2009 and it was well worth it.    Lots to see on the island in addition to the races.   

Pre-Book your ferry crossing ticket.   Ferries can be full up during race season.

Book your lodging well ahead of time.   I always booked months ahead to be sure.  I stayed at the Rutland Hotel on the waterfront in Douglas.   Nice place with breakfast and a good dining room.

Bring your rain suit.

Get there a few days early so you can ride the “track” a few times.   When I was there we did several runs over the full course and the police were very tolerant once you were out of townVisit the various motorcycle museums.  Really excellent collections.

058Start copy.jpg

1757Racers copy 3.jpg

• Like 2
MichiganBob

Thanks for the good advice. Did you rent a car or a motorcycle on the island? Is one needed or can you get around okay walking and public transportation?

MB

I don't think you can rent bikes on the Island (car's maybe).   Personal opinion is that you need wheels.   There's a lot to see even though it's a small island.   There are several companies who run bike tours (from the UK) to the Isle of Man races.    Alaska riders (MotoQuest) is one.   They ride through Wales on the way back and that in itself makes a good riding holiday.   If you check out "Things to do on the Isle of Man" on Trip Advisor you might find some Island tour/rental agencies.    As far as the races go, if you stay in Douglas you should be able to walk to the Start/Finish location.   Having said that, the best places to view the races are a bit far for a walk.   Each lap of the race is about 38 miles long, so it's not a race where you can sit in the grandstand and see anything of the real race.

Also, keep in mind that there is more than one annual motorcycle race on the Island.   There's the Tourist Trophy (the biggest) but also a Classic TT/Vintage race, much more interesting in my opinion because of the variety of bikes, not only in the race, but on the streets of Douglas (I've included a Norton parked in front of our Hotel - the guy rode it down from Sweden).   In terms of booking a tour to the island, it's wise to pick a tour operator who has been doing it for some years.   Many new companies have ended up cancelling when they ran into difficulties getting to the island and finding accommodation.  Sadly, they haven't notified their signed up tour member until the last minute so a lot of people get bumped too late to sign up with anyone else.   This is more true of the TT races which attract real crowds.   

1610Norton copy 3.jpg

035 WaterWheel copy.jpg

0078 CASTLE copy.jpg

• Like 2
MichiganBob

I'm thinking that it might be time to book a tour. The idea of someone else taking care of everything is more appealing in my old age. Sorry kids, there will be a little less for you but remember I earned it.

MB

• Like 1
  • Haha 1