IGNORED

R12RT Tires Wearing too fast

h2000fb

Rear tire on my R1200RT is about gone w/only 3,000 miles. ME880 Mitzelers were recommended for better milage but I don't see a 180/55 ZR 17 in the lineup - at least not from Dennis Kirk. While I will look elsewhere for this Metzeler size, what have any of you had luck with? Front and Back... cool.gif

Why do you need Z rated tires on an RT they are for continuous 150mph?And they wear out faster than H or V rated tires.

I had mitchlin pilot roads on R1200RT, got 13,200mi out of them, kept air at 42rear, 36front. I put conti road attacks on bike, wanted to try them.

Sorry it took so long to respond. The bike came with Dunlap 220 rated ZR (?) on front and back. While the front is not too bad, the back is rapidly becoming worn.

With no saddle bags, stripped, Front 32-33lbs, Rear 36-37lbs R. W/Bags, 36lbs Front, 42lbs Rear. Maybe start running more in rear?

Your air pressure looks fine. Riding style has so much to do with how tires wear, it's hard to recommend anything. If you accelerate or brake hard, your tires will wear more quickly. Oh, and stop the burnouts! clap.gif

Gotta Ask...

1. How much weight do you have on the bike? (rider, Passenger? luggage?)

2. How many of the 13,200 miles were spent on a trailer? grin.gif

All kidding aside- I have run 3 sets of Metzler Z6 Roadtech and have averaged 4000 miles per....

Am looking hard at the Michelins again and am leaning toward a set of 'Roads on my 1150RT...Am curious as to handling and mileage longevity on this tire...

Help?

Dave Grinsel

Dunlop 220's lasted 3300 miles on my ST. I went to Conti Road Attacks and got 7700 miles. I am know on Avon Azaro's which where the longest lasting on my R1100S - about 9,000 - 10,000 miles.

tom collins

also, in some areas of the country, the roads are made of very coarse compounds that are very abrasive to motorcycle tires. could be where you live.

tom collins

also, in some areas of the country, the roads are made of very coarse compounds that are very abrasive to motorcycle tires. could be where you live.

tom collins

Having lived in Texas for too long, I agree. Chip and seal sucks for tires.

MooreDriven

Tom, I too have the Dunlops on my RT. I have 4,700 miles, and the rear is shot. I am replacing with Pilot Roads. Several people I have talked to in Texas agree its a great tire, with excellent tread wear. Some of our roads are very course which eat the tire up. Especially if your tire pressure is low.

My HD has Dunlops, and they ride and wear fine. On the RT, they just don't hold up regardless of where or how you ride. Hopefully the Pilot Roads last 10k miles like others have posted.

Try running 38 psi front and 40 psi rear, one-up no luggage. Made a big differnce for me. I'm 200+ lbs.without luggage.

Quite a few posts over the last year about short life on the D220s, mine included.

Have Z6s on my bike now - quieter, better handling, and appear to be lasting somewhat longer.

Good luck!

The D220 rear tire is known for this. It seems to wear well at first, then quickly goes away.

Try Michelin Pilot Roads, Metzeler ME880, or the Avon Azaro if you want mileage first and stick second. The ME880 will probably last the longest here.

Try the Z6 or MEZ4 if you want stick first and mileage second.

My recommendations only, others will most likely disagree.

My R12RT came with the Conti Road Attack tires. The rear was shot at 3,200 miles, and the front was 80% gone. Replaced them both with Z6's, hope to get at least 6k out of the front and 4k - 5k out of the rear.

My R12RT came with the Conti Road Attack tires. The rear was shot at 3,200 miles, and the front was 80% gone. Replaced them both with Z6's, hope to get at least 6k out of the front and 4k - 5k out of the rear.

Interesting......I have the Road Attacks, too. Just about 6k miles, and still plenty of life. What pressures were you running?

Mike

Paul Mihalka

Gentlemen, let's stop comparing tire mileages from bike to bike, from rider to rider, from one part of the country to another. It is completely meaningless. The only somewhat meaningful comparison is if the same rider, same bike, same environment, does check the mileage on one tire to another. Even things like newness of bike to rider make a big difference. With a new bike most everybody rides slower/more careful than later on.

Archived