IGNORED

THANK YOU to the members who have helped me with my first BMW bike and a cool video

Kilohertz

I would like to thank all of the members who have helped me understand and get to know my first BMW, the 1999 R1100S. I still have lots to learn but I am very happy with the way it runs and rides now, it gets more and more relaxing every ride. I would especially like to thank Lowndes who sent me a set of bar backs to try to help with my hand numbness, they arrived yesterday and I mounted them successfully and I will be able to have a good long ride this weekend.  This is the help thread I am referring to.

Buying my first BMW bike, now an R1100S

The new handle bar pics below, but first....my son who is 19 and just starting out a photography/videography business, while also going to university, made this video as a test for some of his new gear, I think it turned out amazing for his first attempt. It's me on my new bike, on our rural road in southern BC.

Cheers

My sons video of my '99 R1100S

_MW15170.thumb.jpg.1fe9f1f43a39fe3afbc26cd009e517e1.jpg

IMG_0291.thumb.JPG.6bc379683c725a9a66aa8f3ccdd9ace1.JPG

IMG_0292.thumb.JPG.abd1f19eb3e13d349d1276a30f4ce6c8.JPG

• Like 1

Looks great. What's the knob in front of the gas tank for? I thought it funny that you wore a full face helmet, armored jacket but shorts!

Miguel

40 minutes ago, Kilohertz said:

1999 R1100S

Glad you got it sorted because its a great model ... but then I'm a bit biased.  

my '99 at Dante's View, Death Valley.  I also have the same barbacks. I know you've reviewed Master Yoda's Riding Position a bit, and I can assure you it will help in riding comfort on the S.

R1100SDV2013.jpg.89e4b1b3a63410795fd9204116385ce7.jpg

szurszewski
1 hour ago, Miguel! said:

What's the knob in front of the gas tank for?

It’s a steering damper - just like on a Ural!

No - just kidding. It’s an adjuster for the front suspension. 

Well the tennis shoes and shorts were supposed to be kind of funny, so we succeeded, but it was darn hot that day and was on our dead end country road..only hit 60kph on a few shots. 

Which reminds me I need to finish reading the Yoda article, I fell asleep the first attempt. :facepalm:

The smoke from all the wildfires is way too thick to ride in, so a long ride will have to wait. 

Cheers

_MW15199.thumb.jpg.5e69821089a18f2df8655a50763dd574.jpg

22 minutes ago, Kilohertz said:

I fell asleep the first attempt.

Yeah, the original is a bit of a struggle to get through ...  :4296:

And even then, it will take practice before it seems "normal" ... but it will be worth it.

Our member Dennis Andress summed it up pretty well somewhere around the top of page three of that epic thread.

At its simplest, MYRP comes down to four things:

0.) Bend at the hips, not with your spine

1.) Press down with your feet

2.) Lift up with your abs and thighs to keep your weight off the bars

3.) Lean forward so your elbows are bent and relaxed

You know you've got it right when your hands are lightly resting on the grips.

The video was well done! A little tension, a little artistry, a little bad-assery, and some comic relief. Nice!

• Like 1
12 hours ago, chrisolson said:

Glad you got it sorted because its a great model ... but then I'm a bit biased.  

my '99 at Dante's View, Death Valley.  I also have the same barbacks. I know you've reviewed Master Yoda's Riding Position a bit, and I can assure you it will help in riding comfort on the S.

R1100SDV2013.jpg.89e4b1b3a63410795fd9204116385ce7.jpg

Beautiful bike! Is that a stock color scheme? I can't recall seeing it before, nice.

Well this is TOO funny, I had originally wanted an R1100RT but couldn't find one locally and when I found the S I bought it as the price was right and it was in beautiful shape....tonight I got an email from a want ad I posted a month ago and a very nice looking black 2001 R1100RT has been offered to me. It's quite a ways away, would be an all day trip to go get it..but it has 60,000km and new tires and just waiting to hear back if any major service work has been done, probably not at 60,000 km.  If it is as nice as it looks, I may have to expand my BMW collection. :yes:

Cheers

IMG_6293.thumb.JPG.22660a19447883f817e17f18bd656c19.JPG

R1100RT.thumb.jpg.2b6fba4f5988b10892ac7b08dc5ff3e5.jpg

szurszewski

@Kilohertz

yes - that’s a stock scheme. There were a few variations of the madarin/silver over the years; I think that was the first and most modest. I had, briefly in 2020, a 2001 in the same color. 

image.jpeg.4b79950009afac739150d50fbc142244.jpeg

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Kilohertz said:

Well this is TOO funny, I had originally wanted an R1100RT but couldn't find one locally and when I found the S I bought it as the price was right and it was in beautiful shape....tonight I got an email from a want ad I posted a month ago and a very nice looking black 2001 R1100RT has been offered to me. It's quite a ways away, would be an all day trip to go get it..but it has 60,000km and new tires and just waiting to hear back if any major service work has been done, probably not at 60,000 km.  If it is as nice as it looks, I may have to expand my BMW collection. :yes:

Cheers

IMG_6293.thumb.JPG.22660a19447883f817e17f18bd656c19.JPG

R1100RT.thumb.jpg.2b6fba4f5988b10892ac7b08dc5ff3e5.jpg

Kilohertz,

GO GET IT!! 

If you don't you will always regret it.  On the otherhand, if you decide you don't want it you could sell it for a profit.

3 hours ago, Lowndes said:

Kilohertz,

GO GET IT!! 

If you don't you will always regret it.  On the otherhand, if you decide you don't want it you could sell it for a profit.

Alright already, I'll go get another bike, :5210:  that will make 4 in the garage :4316:...plus the '49 Ford F1 and the '68 Firebird ragtop....going to have to make a decision before winter, it's only 830 sq. ft. Will probably sell one of the Viragos. 

Cheers

szurszewski
9 hours ago, Kilohertz said:

Alright already, I'll go get another bike, :5210:  that will make 4 in the garage :4316:...plus the '49 Ford F1 and the '68 Firebird ragtop....going to have to make a decision before winter, it's only 830 sq. ft. Will probably sell one of the Viragos. 

Cheers

Moving the F1 to my garage will free up way more space for you than selling one tiny Virago. I don’t charge much and I’ll even exercise it for you. 

15 minutes ago, szurszewski said:

Moving the F1 to my garage will free up way more space for you than selling one tiny Virago. I don’t charge much and I’ll even exercise it for you. 

I certainly appreciate the offer, but after the bikes are all sorted this summer, it will return as my winter project, still needs some work. :whistle:

cheers

DSC_7987.thumb.JPG.3dce080ac0a777ec82d4030654181f65.JPG

DSC_7833.thumb.JPG.9381dda60f5392c1949084d6ad326b37.JPG

szurszewski
1 hour ago, Lowndes said:

The ceiling looks empty.

??

right? 

my first thought was, oh - you just need a lift! ...but since I’d already posted one smart ass reply, I didn’t say it. Until now. 

• Like 1

Yes. yuck yuck yuck...I have been planning to build shelves around the perimeter to store totes and such, not enough room for a bike. I have a 2 post hoist, just haven't installed it yet.

I received Grip Puppies and LED headlights today and installed both...will do a quick check light check tonight then go for a ride to test the GPs tomorrow once the soapy water dries.

Probably going to get the R1100RT on the weekend....just working out the details.

cheers

1 hour ago, Lowndes said:

Did you get it??

Not yet, logistics didn't work out for last weekend...hopefully this weekend. :5210:

Cheers