Arizona Al's Favorite Shade Tree

Yeeha Stephen

Yeeha Stephen

Lord knows I'm not ten foot tall and bullet proof anymore. And I know we don't live forever.

But by-God the passing of friends is really starting to get too me. I think none more so lately than the passing of The Ear Plug Guy.

I hit the Top of the Rockies rally again this year and really missed Al's ear plug making setup under his favorite shade tree.

Forever, I looked forward to seeing  Al at the Paonia rally,  hanging with him all weekend, and helping him run the local convenience store out of Coors Light. (we actually did that 4 years ago with the help of some of his other friends too)

He didn't attend when he got ill... last year's rally got COVID cancelled... and this year, well, he's just gone.

Am I weird? Every time I walked by "his" spot, I kept looking over. I knew he wasn't there, but I looked anyway.

Ugh. I borrowed a laptop, printed off some pictures from this site, stripped off some Gorilla tape and plastered a makeshift memorial to the fence in front of that shade tree.

I miss that "Yeeha!" yell across the Chuck Wagon's gravel parking. I miss that "Yeeha!" yell across the sea of tents at the Sipapu and Paonia camping rallies. I miss that grin and the annual "Hey buddy, how's Miss Vicki?" questionnaire.

Damn. I was really feeling it this weekend.

Hey buddy, RIP ....

SS

Al 1.jpg

Al 2.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

This is so... well.. first of all... True. Second it was only yesterday I had a chat with some one about Arizona Al... (small world thing I guess) Yes, Al was always one of the most enjoyable things for my wife and I when we came to the Torry gatherings, which we did for many years. Those days are gone now, for us, since I sold the last bike a year or so ago. I still have contacts with many riders and still have great memories. Thanks for yours!

IMG_0016.jpg

Yeeha Stephen

One more thing.... I miss Al's homemade jerky!

There was a jerky vendor next to that blue canopy in the picture. Didn't hold a candle to Al's.

SS

P.S. That Honda project lasted about One Month. What a P.O.S. fixed a few obvious things then dumped it like a hot potato... never again... (made a few bucks though)