IGNORED

07 R1200RT Fork Inteference

Jamesey

Hi all - newbie on the board (but not to RT's). My 07 has a very peculiar problem - I normally search to see if a problem has been discussed, but I wouldn't even know what to search for. Basically, after I've been on the road for a while (maybe half an hour?), there's some chunky piece of black plastic on the left side that moves into a position that interferes with the fork when you turn left. After it's sat for a while, it returns to normal. The local dealer (Lakeville, MN) hadn't heard of anything like this, but before I have them tear it apart, I thought I'd check with you wise ones. It's down low and very difficult to reach from either above or below, but when I can it doesn't budge. And without taking everything apart, I don't even know what it's a part of. I'd be very grateful for any insight! Thank you - James, Minneapolis

On 7/19/2021 at 11:02 PM, Jamesey said:

Hi all - newbie on the board (but not to RT's). My 07 has a very peculiar problem - I normally search to see if a problem has been discussed, but I wouldn't even know what to search for. Basically, after I've been on the road for a while (maybe half an hour?), there's some chunky piece of black plastic on the left side that moves into a position that interferes with the fork when you turn left. After it's sat for a while, it returns to normal. The local dealer (Lakeville, MN) hadn't heard of anything like this, but before I have them tear it apart, I thought I'd check with you wise ones. It's down low and very difficult to reach from either above or below, but when I can it doesn't budge. And without taking everything apart, I don't even know what it's a part of. I'd be very grateful for any insight! Thank you - James, Minneapolis

Morning Jamesey

Unless you have something coming down that was added at one time there really isn't much to drop down to interfere with the fork movement  in that area. (at least something that would extend after riding then retract when cool)

It is possible for the black plastic L/H side fuel tank wing to expand with heat & pressure, or distort with heat & vacuum,  then get real close to the fork.

You saying it appears after riding then disappears some time later after riding (ie after cool down) does sort of point to the fuel tank wing expanding (or contracting/deforming) from internal fuel tank pressure (or internal vacuum). 

After your next ride get to a quiet place then open the fuel filler cap & listen for air pressure escaping (or air entering). If you hear that, or the  tank wing (drop down plastic) gets smaller then you probably have a plugged emission Evap canister.   (or a plugged fuel tank vent line). Something not allowing fuel tank pressure to escape. Or even possibly a vacuum (negative pressure) issue. 

2 hours ago, dirtrider said:

It is possible for the black plastic L/H side fuel tank wing to expand with heat & pressure then get real close to the fork.

That seems most likely - great suggestion. And yes, I'll post a pic as soon as I can. Thank you!

This happened to me. Pop the gas cap next time; I bet the tank is under vacuum. For me it happened after I repaired a hose at the charcoal canister. I ripped that whole system out after that…

Thank you. I haven't taken a long ride yet - it doesn't seem to do it when I'm just around town for shorter rides. But I did notice a little hiss when I opened the gas tank - not sure if it's more than normal. I guess the main question is - do I need to do something about it, or can I just vent the tank through the top regularly? 

Mine was pretty severe, with the tank sucking down and interfering with the left fork leg within a couple of miles of my house. It was initiating turn to the right, whether I wanted it to or not. I guess you have to judge for yourself, but for me it was straight-up dangerous.  That's not really something you want to have to allocate brain power to while you're riding…

22 minutes ago, Jamesey said:

Thank you. I haven't taken a long ride yet - it doesn't seem to do it when I'm just around town for shorter rides. But I did notice a little hiss when I opened the gas tank - not sure if it's more than normal. I guess the main question is - do I need to do something about it, or can I just vent the tank through the top regularly? 

Afternoon Jamesey

It takes a while riding to cause the fuel tank to deform. So local rides probably won't show it.

You probably have a plugged emission Evap canister (round black can on the right side in front of the fuel tank).

You can bypass the evap can by unplugging the fuel tank vent line then running it to under the motorcycle.

Or just leave the evap can in place then install a Tee in the hose coming from the top front of the fuel tank to the Evap can, then run a hose from that Tee to somewhere below the engine. 

If you unplug then remove the Evap can that will set some tank-vent fault codes, doesn't mean much but they will be there if your vehicle is checked for emission compliance.

I'm not sure what country your are in but in the U.S. here used  bmw 1200 evap canisters go for pretty cheap on E-Bay. 

Personally I try to have an active Evap can as those REALLY help raw hydrocarbon capture then burn them in the engine  (raw hydrocarbons are BIG BIG factor in air pollution)

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, all, for the insights. Finally went for a longer ride, and it seems for all the world like the canister problem - gas tank distends like blalor described, though it doesn't quite push on the fork - just interferes with left turn. And I got a huge pop when I opened it up while it was still distended, and gas went all over. I've been looking into the intense debate about whether to remove the evap canister or not - passions run high on this one! I thought it would be best just to replace it and then be better about filling up the tank (I've been guilty of filling it all the way up, not realizing the consequences of that). I ordered a used one on eBay, so now I'll be looking for instructions for replacing it. Haven't found them for the R1200RT per se - anyone have any good links? 

Again, many thanks. 

• Like 1
On 7/21/2021 at 4:07 PM, dirtrider said:

It takes a while riding to cause the fuel tank to deform. So local rides probably won't show it.

Mine did it within 2 miles of my house, fwiw.

14 minutes ago, Jamesey said:

gas tank distends like blalor described

Yay! I knew a thing! 😆 Glad you're getting closer to a solution, @Jamesey!

Ok, so as I'm waiting for the replacement evap canister, I'm planning a trip for this weekend; in spite of all the talk about this issue in various forums, I've yet to find a really clear illustration of how to bypass the canister (temporarily for me) - it's unclear which hoses go where. If anyone has a moment, could you please share any ideas of how to do a temporary bypass? I've included a couple pics - it looks like there are two hoses on top of the canister (first pic), and two on the side (second pic); then there are two hoses that come out near the footpeg (third pic), which I presume are the same as two of the ones coming from the canister - but which? 

Many thanks!

IMG_1023.jpeg

IMG_1024.jpeg

IMG_1025.jpeg

1 hour ago, Jamesey said:

Ok, so as I'm waiting for the replacement evap canister, I'm planning a trip for this weekend; in spite of all the talk about this issue in various forums, I've yet to find a really clear illustration of how to bypass the canister (temporarily for me) - it's unclear which hoses go where. If anyone has a moment, could you please share any ideas of how to do a temporary bypass? I've included a couple pics - it looks like there are two hoses on top of the canister (first pic), and two on the side (second pic); then there are two hoses that come out near the footpeg (third pic), which I presume are the same as two of the ones coming from the canister - but which? 

Afternoon  Jamesey

Just disconnect hose (A) from evap canister fitting then use a connector or piece of tubbing to connect it hose (B) after removing hose (B) from lower evap can fitting.  

(basically hook hose A &B together after disconnecting.

2.jpeg.JPG

• Like 2

The bypass worked great - no issues on a 300-miler. Still planning on putting a new/used one in. Thanks again for all the help.