IGNORED

ESA working or not

legarem

Hello

I acquired my R1200RT 2012 last year. I love it

As I ride. often with my wife I adjust the ESA shock for two peoples. Sometimes when I ride alone I forget to use the ESA for 1 people. I don't feel there's a big difference between preload for one or two peoples. I took out the seat and actuated the ESA position control to see if we see something happen when using different preload settings. I don't see any spring compression changing position when the setting is placed for two peoples on the bike. Should I see something moving (spring compression) or hear shock motor noise when I play with the ESA preload position ?

I see the changes on the dash but I'm not sure everything works as it should.

Thanks

With the wheels on the ground, you should be able to see the rear of the bike rise and lower when you adjust preload.  Engine should be running, bike stopped in neutral.

Or, on the center stand, watch the area just above the  top of the spring:

Damping mode (comfort, normal, sports) can be changed while moving.

Evening  legarem

Was the engine running?  It needs to be.

Could you see any changes on the dash LCD? 

See manual info below.

camhead ESA 1.JPG

Camhead ESA.JPG

Hello

Yes, the engine is running and I see damping and preload changes in the LCD dash. 

I don't see the rear rising when playing with the control.

I looked at the video and I don't see the top of the shock rising or lowering when I use the ESA control.

As everything seems correct with the LCD when I use the ESA push button, can I assume the shock electric motor to be dead ?

Seized motor or mechanism ?

Never carried a pillion, but loaded up with luggage, I'd change the pre-load.  Sitting on the bike, idling in neutral, I can feel the bike rise or fall per my choice.

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, legarem said:

Hello

Yes, the engine is running and I see damping and preload changes in the LCD dash. 

I don't see the rear rising when playing with the control.

Morning legarem

If you see the preload change on the dash then it is probably working as that dash change info comes from the actual displacement of the rear strut upper spring seat. 

Sit on the motorcycle with engine running in neutral, side stand up then change the rear preload, then with your feet on the ground, then see if you can feel the rear raise or fall slightly  (depends on what preload you have commanded). 

Best bet is to get a GS-911 on that motorcycle to view the ESA data, & faults.  You can even do an ESA calibration.

As for seeing the rear top-of-shock move?-- You won't see that as only the top spring seat moves,  on the camhead that spring seat is fully shrouded by a surrounding shield. You have to look up inside that shield to see the spring seat move (not easy). 

Check your messages on this site as I sent you a picture__ 

Thanks DR

I looked again and I don't feel the rear of the bike is lowering or goes higher when I use the ESA control for one or two peoples.

This is the first time I work in this bike and this is a nightmare to unscrew so many screws to go where you want. I thought my R1150RT was not funny to work on but the 1200RT seems worse. Anyway, I finished to disconnect the shock motor wire and I will apply voltage to make the shock motor work up and down. More on that later.

This may be no help but for some time I could not get the shock preload to move up or down because I was too impatient. I expected it to move when I pressed the button and it didnt and impatiently I kept pressing. I eventually learned that there is a delay after a press of the button of about 2 seconds. 

Motor is now tested. It works correctly on standard position and in reversed polarity position. Finally, everything is supposed to be ok. I conclude that this system don't add as much preload as my previous hydraulic R1150RT did. 

30 minutes ago, legarem said:

Motor is now tested. It works correctly on standard position and in reversed polarity position. Finally, everything is supposed to be ok. I conclude that this system don't add as much preload as my previous hydraulic R1150RT did. 

Afternoon  legarem

If you get very little movement you might want to get someone with a GS-911 to calibrate the ESA system.  Your ESA system works from proper sensor feedback from the strut sensor so if the calibration is off the travel is probably also off. 

Either a dealer computer or a GS-911 can re-calibrate it, even possibly the cheaper MotoScan might also do it.