IGNORED

Trans-Ga Rally

roadscholar

We know there isn't a lot of interest in off road riding on a sport touring forum but there may be some, particularly a ride reaching into the mountainous regions of the Southeast. It starts in N. Florida and culminates with a day loop into the Carolinas but it's possible to join in along the route if desired. Some will be tent camping at the two Ga State Parks but there are motels relatively close by at each and possibly cabins onsite but they usually don't last too long.

The route is all new this year comprised of maintained dirt roads (some better than others) with pavement connectors thru some surprisingly scenic parts of Eastern Ga. and the Carolinas with emphasis on ease of travel by the large adventure bikes. There are also points of historical interest on route including the 1785 (haunted?) Rock House, the original Callaway Plantation and grounds also from 1785, the childhood homesite of Meriwether Lewis, and gravesite of blues pioneer Blind Willie McTell. How irresistable is that : ) so pack that sleeping bag (or credit card/toothbrush) and join the fun.. 

https://advrider.com/f/threads/2021-trans-georgia-rally.1510914/

[IMG]

3A330EEB-1A64-421E-BDB1-C4DBE32456B0.thumb.jpeg.18093100ec49e6e660e87a5fcf580abc.jpeg

AA4E3FB4-C186-42E0-B5D6-387F03D039D8.thumb.jpeg.b11e3958b42035cbbe8d97cbeed3cfd0.jpeg

9E89769F-0D95-4B75-B407-434B21DEEA8A.thumb.jpeg.e0c0816bf4f8d5802f6184069f2f4d79.jpeg

• Like 2
roadscholar
31 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Is that Banks Lake NWR?

Interesting, I hadn't heard of Banks Lake but no this is the lake at George L Smith SP,  some of the campsites are along the shore and make for a nice view in the morning.

Ga Dualsport 051.JPG

older pics 094.jpg

https://www.destinationwildlife.com/blog/2017-11-17/george-l-smith-state-park

William, if some of you locals have an appreciation of Georgia history and back road beauty it's a great way to take some of it in. 

The Cypress trees had me thinking that was it.   Back in 1994, I did a scenic photography workshop with Craig M. Tanner at Banks Lake, NWR Lakeland, GA.  Also, we did some photos at Reed Bingham State Park, near Adel.  Color slide film, pushed.   Good times.

As I look at those places on the map, I realize that I need a ride soon.   

That Rally looks like fun.  I am about 4 years away from retirement and a GS, so I will keep this in mind.  :thumbsup:

Thanks!

• Like 2

I rode dirt from my pre-teens to about my mid thirties. I told the wife that I am going to look for a dual sport this fall . After seeing Pats and Bills rides ,I am really chompin on the bit.

• Like 2

Yeah, Pat is quite the salesman, isn't he? 

He has been luring me to the dirty side of Sport Touring ever since I logged on to this forum.  There are others trying as well.   Just sayin'

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
terryofperry
1 hour ago, wbw6cos said:

He has been luring me to the dirty side of Sport Touring ever since I logged on to this forum.  There are others trying as well.   Just sayin'

Resistance is futile William.

Terry

• Smile 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

Credit where credit is due, I’ve learned the craft from the scholar of the road! ;) :grin: PS..I had a grand time exploring the backroads of Vermont last week. :wave: And, you looked damn good on that GS at the BMW riding school. :thumbsup: And and, wives really dig a man with muddy boots! :thumbsup::thumbsup: And and and, you’re gonna make the dude driving the minivan at Starbucks really hate himself! :rofl:

• Smile 1
  • Haha 2
roadscholar
1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

Credit where credit is due, I’ve learned the craft from the scholar of the road! ;) :grin:

Whaat, never! And you gotta admit it was a concerted and calculated effort (yours and lcb's assistance) pulling off this deed the evening before but on the other hand I don't remember anybody complaining : )

IMG_3061.JPG

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

I didn't hear anybody complaining : )

I really enjoyed it ...  once I actually found everyone :classic_blush:

• Like 1
roadscholar
2 hours ago, Lowndes said:

Looks kinda like an Indy Dave route.  He'll be chomping at the bit if he sees this.

From the pics I've seen it would be right up his alley, there's even a couple water crossings, now if we could just get Bernie onboard. Doubtful.. :)   

• Like 1
  • Smile 1

I heard Indy Dave rides with SCUBA tanks on his bike now.  Got to be where he just couldn't hold his breath long enough for his favorite crossings.  Said it's supposed to look like a water bottle.

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, roadscholar said:

From the pics I've seen it would be right up his alley, there's even a couple water crossings, now if we could just get Bernie onboard. Doubtful.. :)   

Bernie would love to go.  He'll just meet you on the other side, and will be there before Indy Dave gets there.

• Thinking 1