IGNORED

2011 Rt- Rear Wheel Sensor Faults

Lester V

Advice needed please.

I have 4 faults showing for my Rear Wheel Sensor.

1.Signal implausible

2. pulse encoder periodic monitoring

3.startup detection speed comparison.

4. long term monitoring of ABS control phases. 

Plus a brake failure light that stays on the dash.

My plan tomorrow is to remove the sensor, clean it and install a new o ring. -after I change the rear drive oil.

Is it possible that the sensor is dirty (because of the oil?) or there is a worn through wire etc?

Anyone else experienced this or other sensor problems and fixed it before getting rid of the codes, or should I just order a new sensor now?

11 hours ago, Lester V said:

Advice needed please.

I have 4 faults showing for my Rear Wheel Sensor.

1.Signal implausible

2. pulse encoder periodic monitoring

3.startup detection speed comparison.

4. long term monitoring of ABS control phases. 

Plus a brake failure light that stays on the dash.

My plan tomorrow is to remove the sensor, clean it and install a new o ring. -after I change the rear drive oil.

Is it possible that the sensor is dirty (because of the oil?) or there is a worn through wire etc?

Anyone else experienced this or other sensor problems and fixed it before getting rid of the codes, or should I just order a new sensor now?

Morning   Lester V

What code reader are you using? GS-911 or other? 

Start by clearing the faults, then key-on & do another fault test. See what faults come back right at key-on (or won't clear). 

If they all come back then probably an open in the wiring or a open sensor. (you might have to use an ohm meter to check for sensor resistance or open)

If only one or 2 faults come back then ride the motorcycle & see if they all come back.

You can probably monitor the rear speed on your code scanner by spinning the rear wheel (key-on rear wheel off the ground) to see if the speed signal is actually being output. 

It won't hurt to clean the sensor or to see if it is covered with metallic gook. 

6 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning   Lester V

Start by clearing the faults, then key-on & do another fault test. See what faults come back right at key-on (or won't clear). 

If they all come back then probably an open in the wiring or a open sensor. (you might have to use an ohm meter to check for sensor resistance or open)

If only one or 2 faults come back then ride the motorcycle & see if they all come back.

You can probably monitor the rear speed on your code scanner under (real-time values) then (display values)  by spinning the rear wheel (key-on rear wheel off the ground) to see if the speed signal is actually being output. 

It won't hurt to clean the sensor or to see if it is covered with metallic gook. 

5 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning   Lester V

You can probably monitor the rear speed on your code scanner by spinning the rear wheel (key-on rear wheel off the ground) to see if the speed signal is actually being output. 

Thanks for the feedback Dirtrider.  I'll follow your advice. 

I am using the GS-911.