IGNORED

2017 R1200RT Failing Start / Stop Switch?

OD1

Greetings all. I've searched the forum and could not find a recent discussion on this. My '17 RT is 3.5 years old with just over 15K on it. My clutch switch went recently and I let that go for a bit.  I was dealing with just starting the bike in neutral til I got a new switch. Now within the last few weeks or so I have this intermittent issue where I press the (Red) start / stop button and nothing happens. The bike does not start. The kickstand is up, bike in neutral. After turning the bike off then back on it may start again. The electrical system all comes up when I press the ignition button. The little information I could find so far folks have said it's the (red) starter switch going bad and needs to be replaced before it completely.  Does this sound right? TIA.

23 minutes ago, OD1 said:

Greetings all. I've searched the forum and could not find a recent discussion on this. My '17 RT is 3.5 years old with just over 15K on it. My clutch switch went recently and I let that go for a bit.  I was dealing with just starting the bike in neutral til I got a new switch. Now within the last few weeks or so I have this intermittent issue where I press the (Red) start / stop button and nothing happens. The bike does not start. The kickstand is up, bike in neutral. After turning the bike off then back on it may start again. The electrical system all comes up when I press the ignition button. The little information I could find so far folks have said it's the (red) starter switch going bad and needs to be replaced before it completely.  Does this sound right? TIA.

Morning OD1

The start switch could be going bad with the key word being COULD. 

BMW was warrantying those combination switches quite often so that sure is a possibility.

About the only way to know for sure is to use GS-911 or dealer computer to look at things.  

Does the problem only happen when hot (or when motorcycle sits out in the hot sun?). If so then next time it happens try pouring a bottle of cold water on/over the start switch area, THEN see if it will start, if that helps it to start then it probably points to the start switch going bad.    

• Like 1

Pretty good idea to cool the switch to see if it is expansion causing a short.  You could try a rag and WD 40 to cool it also to see if you may flush some crude out.  It is cheap and will do no harm except flush and cool.

Clutch switch causing more/another issue?

Side stand switch acting up?