IGNORED

Livewire, new price, same bike.

fourteenfour

fourteenfour

They cut the price dramatically, down to $21,999, and taken the Harley name off the tank. Still the same otherwise meaning no true L2 charging and lack of real luggage to carry anything. Though Harley's CEO used a fair dose of hyperbole when he said there was no market for a three to four hundred mile range tour bike, well none of their current bikes can put that many miles down before they have to gas up.

Livewire, do over

42 minutes ago, fourteenfour said:

They cut the price dramatically, down to $21,999, and taken the Harley name off the tank. Still the same otherwise meaning no true L2 charging and lack of real luggage to carry anything. Though Harley's CEO used a fair dose of hyperbole when he said there was no market for a three to four hundred mile range tour bike, well none of their current bikes can put that many miles down before they have to gas up.

I think there is no market for a Har(d)ley Electric! :3:

They should of just listened to me ;) in the beginning. I said the price was going to be it’s downfall from the get-go. :90:

• Like 3

Two local HD dealerships finally ended up selling their one Livewire each to one of their salesmen probably at a huge markdown. 

• 1 month later...

Who is the target customer for these things? Heavy, not a lot of range, and expensive. Not a good touring bike, not a great city bike. I think it’s good that HD is trying to do things like this, but the market for this bike has to be tiny. 

fourteenfour

posers who want to show off at their local bar or coffee shop?

What I found hilarious is their CEO exaggerating what people would expect from a touring EV motorcycle so he could justify not making one, namely he claimed people would not accept one with less than three hundred miles range between charge which pretty much ignores man tour models don't crack 250 miles per tank and that many riders do stop a bit more

• 2 months later...

Real-world range of their new Sportster S is around 100 miles, so HD doesn't really care about that. Zeitz (CEO) spun off LiveWire to get it off HD's books. He's a numbers guy, not a bike guy, and has been doing everything he can first as a board member and now as CEO to keep the numbers looking good. Look at all the stock buybacks within the last 5 years. If LiveWire makes money (hint, it isn't) they'll re-acquire it, but until then they're keeping it at arm's length.

On 8/15/2021 at 7:12 AM, fourteenfour said:

posers who want to show off at their local bar or coffee shop?

What I found hilarious is their CEO exaggerating what people would expect from a touring EV motorcycle so he could justify not making one, namely he claimed people would not accept one with less than three hundred miles range between charge which pretty much ignores man tour models don't crack 250 miles per tank and that many riders do stop a bit more

While many touring bikes may have only a 250 mile fuel range, they can refuel in minutes not hours.

• Thanks 1

I do stop more than every 250 miles, but I don't want to be forced to stop more frequently, and I don't want all my stops to be at refueling points.  Purchasing a bike with high gearing, good economy, and a large tank did not happen by accident.  I've toured on a bike with a 170 mile range, spending way too much time wondering if/when I'd find gas. Even with a 300+ mile range, range anxiety can still be a real thing. I could consider a 250 mile range an acceptable minimum, if I could be back on the road with a full charge 20 minutes after I pulled into the station.   I don't think I'll see that happen in the next twenty years. 

Part of the problem of course is no back road charging stations yet, usually plenty of gas stations available on the back roads, locals need fuel too.

17 hours ago, Red said:

While many touring bikes may have only a 250 mile fuel range, they can refuel in minutes not hours.

DC Fast charging would reduce that to twenty to thirty minutes but of that will require liquid cooling both batteries and motor as is done with cars.

Hours is what you do when you are at home or at your destination.