IGNORED

Ordered a Gizmo

Francois_Dumas

Francois_Dumas

After a 'wrong move' at tennis some 6 weeks ago I have this painful ligament in my right thumb. Oh, and perhaps RSI from my 16-hour days at the PC mouse also have something to do with it.

Anyways, it is really troublesome when riding, especially longer distances. Now, some of you may remember the playful jests I had with Sir Eric over his love for the Throttle Rocker.... a plastic thingy put on the throttle bar to ease your 'grip' on it.

It didn't work for me, and a few times I caught it in my sleeve, resulting in a sudden closing of the throttle and causing scratches on my windscreen (from my head bumping into it smirk.gif

Now with two LONG trips (well, for me) coming up, I decided I'd better invest in some hardware to make it a little easier.. so I bought the Wunderlich 'cruise control' ( http://www.wunderlich.de/shop.php?rubrik...349a6ad0f5139a5 ).

I hope it works better than the Rocker.... it costs about 12 times a smuch, so it better !! wink.gif

..... and I was really drooling over the R1200RT's electronic cruise control at the dealers the other day bncry.gif )

I have a similar fitting to my RT and GS. It really does reduce wrist fatigue on the highway. It's the poor man's cruise control.

Rottweiler

I have a Throttlemeister which is very much like your new gizmo and a Throttle Rocker too. I use the Throttlemeister only on long trips or if I need my right hand for more than a few seconds which accounts for about 1% of my riding. I use the Throttle Rocker the other 99% of my riding time and love it. It has to be the best $15 I've spent on any accessory. From other threads on this board you will see that the Throttle Rocker is one of those things that you either love or hate, there doesn't seem to be a middle ground. To each his or her own. thumbsup.gif

Knighthawk

Francois,

I have been eyeing this gadget myself, post a pic when you have it installed, and I will be curious as to your thoughts on it after you have had a chance to use it.

Francois_Dumas
It's the poor man's cruise control.

That description fits me perfectly ! grin.gif

@ Rottweiler

(my grandpa had one ! A Rottweiler I mean)... I gave the Trhottle Rocker away now. I am one of the 'could not find peace with it' ones.

@ Brian

Hope to have it installed before riding to Normandy.... that is 7 hours slabbing ! Will report back ! wave.gif

Jerry_75_Guy

Hi Francois,

I also have a friction lock; the Throttle Meister. It was installed by the previous owner of my beloved RT, and I feel that it is worth it's weight in gold. I don't know whether it's poor technique, anatomic anomaly or the result of an injury (I had my thumb pulled back to my wrist by a patient in a mental healthcare facility I used to work in; long story) and the subsequent surgery, but without the 'TM' my hand would be numb within 1/2 hour on any ride regardless of how lightly I held the throttle or how I placed my hand on the grip.

It is such a 'must have' item that I recently installed one on my VFR, and it works excellently in that application as well, despite my more 'sporting' use of the throttle with that bike smile.gif

It may be a 'cheat', but it also helps smooth out my throttle control during all phases of the ride, regardless of the length. I use it at all times, not just on longer legs.

Assuming that the Wunderlich unit functions the same way, I think you will be very satisfied with it, and given the price differential, I think it's a better solution than an electronic cruise control (especially if there's a new bike attached to it crazy.gif), that is unless you're looking for ammunition to justify the purchase of a new bike wink.gif

beemer2000

You might want to consider the Vista Cruise throttle control for about $17. They are not specifically made to fit a BMW but are easily adaptable. I installed one on an Airhead and now have one on my Oilhead.

I considered the Throttlemeister but it seemed awkward to engage/disengage. The Vista Cruise engages with a down flip of the thumb without moving your hand at all. To disengage you simply flip it back up. I, too, experience numb hand after only a few miles and use mine all the time, even on short rides. Once you get used to a device like this you can't ride without it.

The install on my Oilhead was very simple.

..... and I was really drooling over the R1200RT's electronic cruise control at the dealers the other day bncry.gif )

You could do that. wink.gif The cruise control works great. I still put on a Throttle Rocker just to provide a little respite for my right hand.

Incidentally, I noticed some surging on my commute last night. Just for fun, I tried the cruise control on a long stretch of 45 mph road. The CC didn't seem to be able to decide the exact speed--it seemed to be hunting around for the "right" amount of throttle.

This is not a problem at freeway speeds at all.

Couchrocket

Francois,

Look here for a great alternative to the "paddle" type throttle rocker. It is called a "throttle boss" and straps on snugly and stays put wherever you put it. It is smaller and you can adjust it so that it just rests in the palm of your hand. Won't get caught in your sleeves, and is just GREAT. I've owned one for a long time and it lives in my bike's radio box compartment for use on long trips. For $9 -- give it a shot -- you'll thank me.

6126251.jpg

Just FYI, I also had a beautiful throttlemeister put on my RT and I never use it. Works fine, but is a pain in the butt to use since the only time I use such a device is at highway speeds, and the RT's 6th gear is too tall to just leave the throttle "locked" for any distance unless the terrain is absolutely flat as the proverbial pancake.

I adjust my little "rubber ducky" throttle boss so that it fits right in the palm of my hand, and it works really well, is unobtrusive, doesn't "carve up" the grips like the hard plastic paddle type rockers, and is way easy to put on and take off.

As I said, get one and you'll owe me for the idea.... so beers around the next time you're in the USA or I'm in Europe!

Jerry_75_Guy

Just FYI, I also had a beautiful throttlemeister put on my RT and I never use it. Works fine, but is a pain in the butt to use since the only time I use such a device is at highway speeds, and the RT's 6th gear is too tall to just leave the throttle "locked" for any distance unless the terrain is absolutely flat as the proverbial pancake.

Actually, you don't have to have the 'TM' lock fully engaged to work; just dial it to the degree of friction required to just hold the throttle where it is, or maybe even a bit less, and you are good to go, just make minor throttle adjustments as needed. Twist the lock a bit tighter for more throttle stability and 'hands off' operation, if that's needed for a moment or two.

But whatever you use, if it works for you and you're happy with it, 'it's all good!' thumbsup.gif

You might want to consider the Vista Cruise throttle control for about $17. They are not specifically made to fit a BMW but are easily adaptable. I installed one on an Airhead and now have one on my Oilhead.

I considered the Throttlemeister but it seemed awkward to engage/disengage. The Vista Cruise engages with a down flip of the thumb without moving your hand at all. To disengage you simply flip it back up. I, too, experience numb hand after only a few miles and use mine all the time, even on short rides. Once you get used to a device like this you can't ride without it.

The install on my Oilhead was very simple.

I agree. I used to have one on a previous bike and loved it. I'm not that fond of the TM. Other than it's looks. It does, however, relieve my numb hand when needed....NOW if they could make something like that to relieve my numb butt! dopeslap.gif

Couchrocket

just dial it to the degree of friction required to just hold the throttle where it is, or maybe even a bit less, and you are good to go, just make minor throttle adjustments as needed

Thanks for that.... I'll give it a go on June 2, as I have a pretty much "all day" slab ride down the I-5 to Santa Nella, and then over to Monterey. The I-5 from Redding to Santa Nella is BORING . . . be a good place to practice the "not all the way locked up" technique with the "meister."

Thanks again . . .

Sorry the Throttle Rocker didn't work for you. I made sure to install it as far out on the throttle as possible so that I have room to bring my hand inward and not have it interfere when not needed. Otherwise, I slide my hand out, on to it and love it!

I follow the link. It takes me to PHAT Products. The gizmo is $8.95. Cheapest shipping is just under $7.00. Outrageous.

It's about a buck-seventy five sent First Class in a padded

envelope. Good grief.

d

dopeslap.gif

Couchrocket

WOW.... what a rip off. I merely surfed on "Universal Throttle Boss" and linked that site because of the nice photo. Google the thing and I'm sure there are places that can ship for much less than that! Sorry for the "bad pick" on an example web site for purchase.

I got mine originally from "Wing Things" up in Washington state.

Archived