IGNORED

Mosko Moto’s Rak Pullover Review

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

Mosko Moto Rak Pullover Review intro

Applying the “less is more” mantra of the adventure riding game to Mosko Moto’s new offering seems perfectly appropriate. The Rak Pullover reflects Mosko Moto’s general philosophy: moving light and fast while staying warm and dry. Don’t let the simplicity of this jacket fool you— it’s feature-rich, overtly capable. Let’s break down the features hidden in this weatherproof shell.

MoskoMoto Rak Jacket Review FB

The Rak is a pullover-style jacket with a zipper running along the left side for easy entry. It is made entirely of durable, light eVent Expedition three-layer fabric with Direct Venting technology. eVent Expedition is widely used in active sports industries from high-altitude mountaineering expeditions to hunting, trekking to cycling, but is new to motorcycle adventure riding. The three layers include a Durable Water Repellent (DWR) treated fabric, proprietary Direct Venting membrane, and backer fabric. This primary feature is important because it allows sweat and body heat that build up in the jacket to move through the Direct Vent membrane while the DWR fabric keeps you dry and comfortable.

MoskoMoto Rak Jacket Review eVent

Also keeping the elements at bay are YKK waterproof VISLON AquaGuard zippers, which are commonly used in outdoor and tactical gear. This practically waterproof zipper offers smooth operation with great strength, which will allow you to quickly deploy this cloak of invisibility.

Keeping with the tight design cues, use of Cohaesive embedded cinch hem and collar, gusseted adjustable Velcro closure cuffs, and full taped seam construction add to the clean, slim, articulated anatomical fit of this jacket and allow you to comfortably fit armor underneath. Donning the Rak can be a bit challenging, however, depending on your armor choice, even with the side and neck zippers fully opened. Removing can be equally testing. Once on, the fit is perfect, especially in the aggressive riding position.

I spent three days in the Moab area covering a mixture of trails on a 2016 KTM 690 Enduro R. With morning temps in the low 40s F I’d throw on a Klim base layer, Dainese chest armor, Mosko jersey and the Rak Pullover. But with an average ride time of 30–40 minutes on the highway, temps would dip well into the 30s due to windchill. With the open, enduro-style cockpit of the 690 the Rak Pullover kept me warm and comfortable while commuting to the trail. This would not be considered a cold weather riding jacket but it did an excellent job of shielding me from the biting wind.

MoskoMoto Rak Jacket Review modeling

The Rak rolled away neatly into my camera pack without taking up much space. Its slender profile can fit in most packs or be strapped down to an exterior rack with a couple of pieces of webbing for quick deployment in case the weather takes a rapid turn for the worse. Although the conditions were fair during the three days riding in Moab, the final day did cool off heading into Onion Creek, where I encountered numerous creek crossings of various depths. In one creek crossing I decided to test the mettle of this jacket by crossing the creek with some aggression, purposely causing water to spray in all directions. The Rak held its own, no water ever penetrated its fortifications—my upper body remained dry and comfortable—my boots, however, did manage to take on quite a bit of water. In another instance, I crossed over fast enough to have that chocolate-color creek water splash on my face shield then down the front of the jacket, which certainly would have caused water damage to my phone, but after unzipping the YKK waterproof VISLON AquaGuard, upon inspection, I was relieved to find it unscathed.

MoskoMoto Rak Jacket Review Riding

When it comes down to it, the Mosko Moto Rak Pullover did the job it was intended for. With all the right ingredients of material choice, simple styling, easy comfortable fit for all-day wear, it shielded me from the elements then packed down when the riding got heated. It’s a welcome piece for both wet and cool conditions. Until now, I’ve veered away from the half-zip/pullover/anorak-styled jackets due to the hassle of pulling them on/off, but the Rak is comfortable to wear and I quickly got over any further apprehension. The Rak Pullover is well worth the investment. Durable, simple clean lines will serve you well for many years to come, with subtle styling that won’t grow old after the riding season.

MoskoMoto.com

MSRP: $349

PROS:

• Simple clean styling
  • Excellent fit (may feel slim for some)
  • Will keep you warm and dry

CONS:

• Pulling on/off may feel cumbersome
http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/AdvmotoReviewsRss/~4/Ac_GHRyViPQ

View the full article