IGNORED

Shoei Hornet X2 Helmet with Transitions Face Shield Review

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

Shoei Hornet X2 Helmet with Transitions Face Shield Review

This intermediate-oval, dual-sport/ADV-style lid is packed with the best features for in-helmet safety, comfort and visibility. Coming from the well-known Japanese manufacturer founded in 1959, the Shoei Hornet X2 does not disappoint; especially when mated to a Shoei Transitions Photochromic Shield.

Shoei HornetX2 FBTW

The Photochromic Shield replaces the stock version that comes with the lid. It’s activated when placed under UV light and takes less than a minute to react and darken.

As far as venting, there are three closable vents: one in the area of the upper lip, another on the center of the forehead, and the last atop the helmet. For exhaust ports, there are two vertical, parallel two-inch strips at the downslope near the back of the skull and one horizontal at the lower back of the helmet. I purposely chose not to install the supplied Pinlock EVO lens to see how well the supplied breath guard prevented the face shield fogging. To my surprise, it worked well.

The helmet also comes with a chin curtain that I chose not to use and got along without. Perhaps if you were to be riding in cooler temps, the chin curtain would come in handy by keeping cold air from getting through.

This DOT- and SNELL-approved helmet feels light and weighs in at ~4 lb. for large and a little more for XL (sizes are from XS–XXL). There are five solid colors and three graphic designs from Sovereign TC.

Like previous Hornet X2 models, the beak or face shield can be removed. The inner pads can also be removed and are washable.

Matthias Beier, Shoei’s Marketing Coordinator, told me that they’ve discontinued the Transitions Photochromic Shield for this helmet due to quality control issues. At the same time he assured me that those still available are in proper working condition.

One thing I wish they’d do is make the chin strap a ratchet-style system versus the old-school D-ring. Other than that, it’s a great choice for the discerning rider. Shoei’s Hornet X2 is on the pricier side but is worth the dough with all the built-in safety and comfort technology features.

Shoei-Helmets.com

MSRP: $599.99−$719.99 | CNS-2 Transitions Photochromic Shield (discontinued)—$209.99

Shoei HornetX2 FBTW2

• PROS:

• Awesome Transitions Photochromic Shield
  • All-day riding comfort
  • Good venting
  • Both SNELL and DOT approved

• CONS:

• Expensive
  • Needs ratchet-style chin strap
http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/AdvmotoReviewsRss/~4/tL3panFiG9I

View the full article