IGNORED

Million Dollar Highway

Eagle Rock Rider

Eagle Rock Rider

We are headed to Colorado later this month and plan to ride from Ouray to Silverton on the Million Dollar Hwy.

Any tips from fellow Riders that have done it before? I know the road is not for the timid!

many thanks!!

John Ranalletta
12 minutes ago, Eagle Rock Rider said:

We are headed to Colorado later this month and plan to ride from Ouray to Silverton on the Million Dollar Hwy.

Any tips from fellow Riders that have done it before? I know the road is not for the timid!

many thanks!!

It's been too long ago for tips, but a memory...

I was new to riding as we traveled to the 1st Gunnison Unrally.  We rode the MDH from south to north.  As I locked my sight on the inside ROW, I heard my wife ask, "Did you see that deer?"  I asked, "What deer?".  She replied, "The one on the cliff side of the road."  I didn't see it as I assiduously avoided looking over the drop offs.

I'd certainly ride it again but as a novice rider, it was a thrill.

Beautiful ride. Be careful enjoying the scenery. One needs to pay attention to the road. Your passenger gets to see all the views. Stop often and take it all in. 

I hope you get to ride some other areas while you’re there. Hwy149 N from Southfork to Gunnison is especially nice. Hwy 50W to Hwy 92 to Delta is one of my favorites. Be aware, there was road construction on Hwy 50 near Gunnison. I don’t know if it is ongoing. 

Watch for sand/gravel in the corners.  Saw one airhead that had low sided in the Red Mountain Mining District.  It doesn't just happen in winter.  I think it's because of trailers getting off the pavement on the inside of the corners and kicking up debris onto the paved road surface.  

Mike C

Be prepare to go slow and enjoy the scenery when you get behind the RVs and other tourists.  It is an amazing highway, but really not suited for spirited riding.

roadscholar

I had a pretty good video of it but it wouldn’t load so this will have to do, it’s a great road.

image.thumb.jpeg.399be83883dd58858a29c2ebd9aaf1b6.jpeg

• Like 1
John Ranalletta
25 minutes ago, Jake said:

I'm still traumatized.

@Jake I remember talking to you before and after your ride, though with your riding prowess, it probably was a walk in the park!

I live just north of there, and I take that road from Ridgway (just north of Ouray) all the way to Durango, then over to Cortez and up CO-145 over Lizard Head Pass (i.e. Telluride) and back to Ridgway.  BTW, the ride to Silverton is easy.  It gets much tighter after that.

Pretty much everything you're hearing is right on.  The speed limits are slow, so tell your passenger to keep their movements to a minimum, as balance will be critical and in some areas there's no Armco barrier.  Just cliff.

As for the scenery, it's beautiful.  You'll cherish the ride.

Have fun.

roadscholar

Another botched attempt at a video, so a bit  further down the road. 

IMG_1806.JPG

got a little lost, took a wrong turn.

IMG_1845.JPG

no ride is complete without some requisite shenannigans.

IMG_1851.JPG

found our way back to Silverton for lunch (I just like this pic : )

IMG_1881.JPG

kinda like this one too..

IMG_1882.JPG

• Like 3
Wayne Johnson

Just did this along with 65 and 92 on the way down from the rally last week wonderful riding did the MDH early in the morning to avoid traffic 46 degrees at the top. Rumble strips between lanes makes you behave a little instead of trying to get too spirited! Seeing what's under the pavement on a few corners taper inward at times make you wonder how in stays in place!  Highway 50 is a mess still with a LONG wait for construction still nearly an hour with two lengthy stops

Eagle Rock Rider

Thanks Wayne and to all that have replied!

it’s good to get pre-ride info from those that have done it!! 

We've ridden it regularly.  Sometimes you luck out and get a clear, traffic free run.  Other times, not so much.  It can be a sporty road when conditions and traffic allow. 

Gravel can be from rockfall, vehicles tracking it in as Mike says, and also from sanding/road salting operations as freezing can occur overnight at any time of year.  But, generally, gravel is minimal and avoidable.  Enjoy!  

Weekday closures on US-50 run for two years.  Check the schedule.  The location is just west of the intersection with CO-92.  

I-70 has been experiencing unscheduled closures in Glenwood Canyon due to mudslides in last year's burn scars.

Eagle Rock Rider
12 minutes ago, Twisties said:

Weekday closures on US-50 run for two years.  Check the schedule.  The location is just west of the intersection with CO-92.  

I-70 has been experiencing unscheduled closures in Glenwood Canyon due to mudslides in last year's burn scars.

roadscholar
5 hours ago, Twisties said:

@roadscholar  I still think this is the best ride tale ever written, even if I did write it myself.  :-)

Good stuff Jan, great to revisit. I remember thinking about halfway up that first day, those guys knew if it was drizzling in town it was snowing up top, flatlanders just don't think that way : ) Here's a few shots from day 1, Danny was pretty impressive on the old tired airhead but Bullet was downright amazing on the XT. 

IMG_1692.JPG 

It got worse before it got better.

IMG_1717.JPG

IMG_1716.JPG

A few of the offenders gloating in their choice of vehicles.

IMG_1699.JPG

And not to completely derail the thread another shot of MDH.

IMG_1746.JPG

Janet and I were mountain biking a bit lower so we had VERY cold rain.  After getting throughly soaked I worked my way out of the forest.and made a dash for the condo. I was so cold I fell when I stopped.  My hands and legs weren't cooperating.  

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
John Ranalletta
On 7/5/2021 at 8:35 AM, Eagle Rock Rider said:

many thanks!!

Here's a YouTube video of cars on the MDH.  

• Like 1
Eagle Rock Rider

August 2, 2021

Finishing a 10-day tour of Colorado with my wife today and hate for it to end! Every day was a new experience of great roads and amazing beauty!Million Dollar Hwy. was FANTASTIC!! Almost emotional for me at the end when we pulled into Silverton to have lunch at Handlebars Saloon! Thanks to all of you who gave advice for us earlier!!

earlier in the month 

357B1410-6B83-467D-B553-61C20170B549.jpeg

• Like 1

Try not to get too excited and slow your roll into Silverton, unless you want to contribute to their Fireworks fund as I did .... 😊

image.thumb.png.d7ee29a4b063f74551162e90c0ffc163.png

lawnchairboy

when you are dropping down into Ouray from the south look to your left often and carefully.   

John Ranalletta

If that's the stretch of no guard rail I remember, good advice.

En route to the first Unrally at Gunnison, I was a nooby rider on our '97 RT.  Earlier that day, we'd almost gone down in mud in road construction.  I was a tad unsettled.  Having a fear of heights, that road (MDH) scared the shite out of me.  I was focusing on the right road edge, oblivious to all else.

Suddenly, I hear Ruth ask, "Did you see that deer?"  I replied, "What deer?"  She said, "The one on the edge of the cliff."  Nope.  Didn't see it.. 

Had a similar experience on the Old Spiral Highway north of Lewiston.

Few years ago we were following a big Dodge truck out of Ouray and suddenly a huge rock (~2ft diameter) came tumbling down the hillside right behind the truck and tumbled on down the other side. It was immediately followed by a large mountain goat traveling equally fast that proceeds down the other side at an amazing clip.  A lasting memory to be sure. As a side note when you get to some of the really high passes it’s not unusual to see people seeming to struggle for their breath.  A local told me occasionally  you see them looking like Papa Smurf, so make sure your bike AND you are in shape for enjoying beautiful Colorado, amazing roads and sights. 

Thanks Bill.  Even watching that video, I could sense the edge of that road and felt some anxiety.  Oh, my.   Cannot wait to ride something like that someday.  carefully.

• Like 1

I know, I told him “how can you not buy this bike”!  :dontknow: He’s got family out in Colorado so the bike will roll out there once again. :thumbsup:

• Like 1