IGNORED

Spare Key Questions

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta

Got all dressed for a ride this afternoon and remembered the FOB is in the tow car.

Found the spare (plastic) key, held it under the back fender, pressed the on button and all's well.  A few blocks into the ride, I stopped for gas.  I thought I'd stop the engine but leave the electronics on only to realize the gas tank lid will not open unless the bike is de-energized.

After refueling, I could get the bike energized, but it would not turnover, i.e., the starter would not engage as if trying to start the bike in gear with the side stand down.  I made sure the trans was in neutral, etc.  

After 5 minutes or so of turning the bike on/off/on, the starter finally kicked over, but there was a warning light on the dash.  Don't know what that was about.

Anyone with suggestions or insights appreciated.

On 7/2/2021 at 5:04 PM, John Ranalletta said:

Got all dressed for a ride this afternoon and remembered the FOB is in the tow car.

Found the spare (plastic) key, held it under the back fender, pressed the on button and all's well.  A few blocks into the ride, I stopped for gas.  I thought I'd stop the engine but leave the electronics on only to realize the gas tank lid will not open unless the bike is de-energized.

After refueling, I could get the bike energized, but it would not turnover, i.e., the starter would not engage as if trying to start the bike in gear with the side stand down.  I made sure the trans was in neutral, etc.  

After 5 minutes or so of turning the bike on/off/on, the starter finally kicked over, but there was a warning light on the dash.  Don't know what that was about.

Anyone with suggestions or insights appreciated.

Afternoon John

Was there any warning (other than the light) showing something like EWS? 

Do you have access to a GS-911?, if so then see if you can read the stored codes. 

John Ranalletta

DR, I do not have a GS-911.  This was the first time I used the spare key.  Simply, after shutting down to refuel, the GS system would awake but pressing the starter button did nothing.  The GS was in neutral and on the center stand with the side stand up.  After about 5 minutes, all was well on a restart but a warning light appeared.  I've ridden subsequently using the fob and no warnings were issued.

15 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

DR, I do not have a GS-911.  This was the first time I used the spare key.  Simply, after shutting down to refuel, the GS system would awake but pressing the starter button did nothing.  The GS was in neutral and on the center stand with the side stand up.  After about 5 minutes, all was well on a restart but a warning light appeared.  I've ridden subsequently using the fob and no warnings were issued.

Afternoon John

Without an error code or seeing anything spelled out on the dash it is  strictly a guessing game.

If the spare key works OK now & worked OK in other places then my guess is that there was some kind or RFI interference at that gas station. 

If your motorcycle is still under factory warranty then you might have them write it up as a no-start then see what they can find as far as stored error codes go. 

John Ranalletta

On the 15 GS you hold the key between the rear tire and under tail/rear fender toward the rider seat. Holding it in just the “right” spot while pushing the on button on the dash is a stretch. 

Haha, I guess BMW figures that is you have an sufficient inseam to straddle a GS, you'll also have the wingspan to do the spare key to starter stretch

• Like 1
Dave Stephens
On 7/8/2021 at 8:19 PM, 92Merc said:

I thought the spare key had to be close to the dash, like in the gap, before the bike would start.

Correct

55 minutes ago, Dave Stephens said:

Correct

Evening Dave

Not correct for John's 2015 GS__ See below from GS riders manual (last paragraph).

xvyN4gR.jpg

• Like 1
Dave Stephens
On 7/13/2021 at 4:44 PM, dirtrider said:

Evening Dave

Not correct for John's 2015 GS__ See below from GS riders manual (last paragraph).

xvyN4gR.jpg

Thanks for the correction!  I incorrectly assumed it was an RT.  Not sure why the engineers thought that a better spot than the dash.