IGNORED

Rt start up

alanrt

My 2015 1200rt  (original battery) often won't turn over at first attempt to start, but starts normally second attempt. I thought I had solved this issue by cleaning and tightening battery connections, but after a week or so two attempts to start is usually required. I would appreciate input from anyone who has had similar experience as I question weather this is a battery issue or starter issue.

My 2016 rt starts on the first try 80 % of the time and for the remaining 20 % its two times. This topic has been on the board before  and some suggest it's a timing issue.  I've learned to ignore it and ride on.  Bike has nearly 40, 000 on it and I just returned from the Montana rally.  For me thats 5300 miles roundtrip.  Starting was mostly first try. 

John

I did read similar thread (start up hesitation), however that situation seemed to involve engine turning over but more difficult to start.

In my case, bike won't turn over at all during first attempt then starts normally on second. This left me wondering if the source of my issue was something different.

I have owned this bike since new, (45,000 miles). I have only noticed this starting issue this riding season.

Ah, misread your note.  Sorry 'bout that.  I haven't experienced your issue at all.  Maybe the switch????

You might want to install a new battery to confirm.   On my R1200C (yeah, I know it is not an RT, but.....) I did have a starter drag down a new battery, so there is that.  I replaced the starter and the issue went away.  I never cleaned and inspected the starter

6 years is a pretty good run for a motorcycle battery, but how often are you firing the bike up to cause starter issues?   I got about 14 years out of my starter  (riding M-F commuting - starting it roughly 11 times per week) and I averaged about 5 years for batteries on that bike.

That battery is 6 years old, and is suspect.

You can try jumping it and see if it starts better, that would point to a battery issue. 

If you have a meter, test standing voltage, starting voltage, and running voltage.

RandyShields

3-4 years with a battery is a good service life. With a 6 year old battery you are temping fate to leave you stranded out in the boonies somewhere. Time to replace it.

I agree with general consensus that 6 years is a pretty good life for the battery. I will start with battery replacement.

Thanks to all for your input.

After you've eliminated battery issues, next likely cause is cam chain timing.  I've had my RT go in twice for valve check and cam chain timing check.  Valves came in at spec.  But both times cam chain timing was off.

Before the chain adjustment, the bike would take 2 cranks to start sometimes.  Often when the temps are 90+ and bike was cold.  After chain adjustment, it cured it.

Bill_Walker

Note that your owner's manual recommends opening the throttle slightly for cold starts.  Others have reported this fixes the issue.  I keep forgetting to try it.

Interesting Bill, I was not aware of that.  Mine has acted pretty well so far, I just find that I let off the starter button a touch early sometimes.  I'm used to my XR where just a very short push of the start button and it springs to life.

I do notice a bit of white smoke/steam out of the RT's exhaust after she sits for a couple of weeks or more, even on a hot day.  Just 2,500 miles total on the clock, so I guess that's normal....

• 2 weeks later...

FYI - The battery replacement resolved my intermittent starting issue. Bike once again fires up at first touch of starter button.

• Like 1

I recently had the exact same issue with my 2015 rt. original battery. One of the guys on this forum suggested it might be time for a new battery. A six year old battery may not be putting out the cranking amps needed.  I switched out the battery and all is well again with start up. I got a good deal on a decent battery from Battery Mart. (Mega Crank) MTX-14 AGM.  $65 free delivery- easy to install, Perfect fit. Good luck. There may be other problems but this is a good starting point. 

Alan,

Remember to keep that new battery on a good battery tender.  It will keep the battery topped-off and the chemistry inside the battery balanced.  Ride safe!

• Thanks 1
On 7/22/2021 at 1:08 PM, Forester said:

Alan,

Remember to keep that new battery on a good battery tender.  It will keep the battery topped-off and the chemistry inside the battery balanced.  Ride safe!

If you ride the bike enough this should be completely unnecessary.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, alegerlotz said:

If you ride the bike enough this should be completely unnecessary.

Some of us have an involuntary layup period and yes an AGM compatible battery tender keeps the battery in good shape until our next ride.

Snow plow armada

3 minutes ago, Paul De said:

Some of us have an involuntary layup period and yes an AGM compatible battery tender keeps the battery in good shape until our next ride.

Snow plow armada

I really hate that involuntary layup! I've got two tenders now and tossed a few others over the years because of it.

17 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

I really hate that involuntary layup!

Haha yup!

When I was young and believed that I was indestructible I would ride in the winter on a rat bike....Way too dangerous for mortal me these days so the bikes are on a tender.

Tangent alert

Have some friends that still stud up tires on their dirt bikes and go ice racing.  Sort of missed having that option last winter as the hard freeze came without snow for over a month and the glare iced over lake was calling to back it into turns in top gear WFO!

I do get out occasionally in the winter, roads need to be decent and below freezing (warm weather causes thaw and road spray, no good). My bike has been salted pretty well a few times (certainly no rat bike, unfortunately), but we do what we have to do when we live in these climates and get a little punchy in winter!

I've not been ice racing on motorcycles, though it gets me going every time I watch it, but have been a few times in cars, an absolute riot. A subject for another thread...

3 hours ago, Paul De said:

<pic removed to save space>

Completely understood (and agreed with) regarding winter.

I have seen people on this (and the bmw moa and bmwlt) forum mention keeping their bike on a battery tender whenever they're not riding it...  In other words, ride into the garage and hook it up immediately.

The bike can sit for days or weeks and start right up.  I've had a couple of occasions where life or health got in the way and I didn't ride for a month or more and I put the battery tender on it.  Within 2 minutes of connecting it, the status light was back to green - meaning that it had a full charge.  The tender did nothing at all other than evaluate that the batter was fully charged.

3 hours ago, BrianM said:

My tender gets used all year.

Winter on my bike.

Rest of the year on my car.

Also my boat battery in winter (and the spare all year) and like you, my truck battery in the summer. It's rare my tenders (yes, plural) are not plugged into something. I even occasionally top the battery in my wife's car, as it is often only used sporadically for short shopping trips.

Geez I own a lot of batteries!