IGNORED

MotoGP Silly Season

chrisolson

chrisolson

Well, its summer break and with Vinales quitting Yamaha its definitely going to make  2022 a different season.

This graphic below (courtesy of MotoGP web site) shows the current outlook for next year .... lots of interesting possibilities... will Franco move to the factory team to replace Vinales or just move to Rossi's factory bike within Petronas if Rossi retires ?

Either way who will be the second rider at Petronas  ?  ... given Rossi's pretty sure retirement

Or, if Franco stays with Petronas with Rossi's Factory bike, who will slot in beside Quartararo in the Yamaha Factory Team ?

Will Vinales actually go to Aprilia ?  What about Lorenzo ?  Who fills both slots on Rossi's new team (outside of Luca or is Luca actually a given) ?  

Who slots along site Remy at Tech3 KTM?

For the remainder of this year, will Marquez regain his old domination?

So many questions ... so few answers .... :90:

879286828_ScreenShot2021-07-01at7_26_06PM.thumb.png.b3f31118ff3928ef747a0e59eb433339.png

Bill_Walker

It wouldn't be at all surprising if Raul Fernandez joined Gardner at Tech3, given his performance in Moto2, albeit as a rookie.

And speaking of stellar rookies, has anybody signed Acosta for Moto2 next year?  Given the colors on his bike, I could see him getting Gardner's ride.  Otherwise, I suppose he might be stuck under contract.  Or perhaps they feel he needs further seasoning, despite his amazing performance.

• Like 1
chrisolson
2 hours ago, Bill_Walker said:

And speaking of stellar rookies, has anybody signed Acosta for Moto2 next year? 

The one thing he needs is to consistently qualify better ... don't think he can count on coming through the pack in  Moto2 or eventually MotoGP like he has in  Moto3  ....

Or maybe he IS that good :14: ... he seems to be able to push and control the front tire like Marquez of old

Bill_Walker
On 7/4/2021 at 9:44 PM, chrisolson said:

The one thing he needs is to consistently qualify better ... don't think he can count on coming through the pack in  Moto2 or eventually MotoGP like he has in  Moto3  ....

True.  Although there are some in both classes known as "Sunday men", who always do better on Sunday than they did in qualifying.

I still can't believe Acosta won a race he started from the pit lane.

I noticed, especially in the last race, that it's clear he's starting to think more about winning the championship than winning the race.  Being just that little bit more conservative, especially toward the end of the race, and maybe being willing to settle for less than a podium.  In any event, he's clearly one to watch!

I just noticed some schedule changes.  Australia's been dropped, Malaysia's been moved up a week, and another race at Algarve has been tacked on before Valencia.

• Like 1
chrisolson
20 minutes ago, Bill_Walker said:

I just noticed some schedule changes.  Australia's been dropped, Malaysia's been moved up a week, and another race at Algarve has been tacked on before Valencia.

Yep ... although the US (mostly) has put the pandemic on the back burner ... its still a major concern internationally causing the schedule balancing.

Yeeha Stephen
20 hours ago, chrisolson said:

Yep ... although the US (mostly) has put the pandemic on the back burner ... 

Sort of. Just announced that the American GP will have no General Admission tickets this year. Gotta buy a reserved seat ticket. 

I guess that COVID limits the # of people they are letting in.

Upgrade Your Viewing Experience! General Admission tickets will not be offered this year, but fans will still be able to explore the Circuit and enjoy their favorite GA areas by purchasing a reserved seat ticket at a comparable price.

• Sad 1

Glad I have my reserve tickets since pre-pandemic.  Honestly I hope it keeps the crowd down some as it has become overcrowded and hard to get around....I've been to everyone since they started in Austin.

Yeeha Stephen

And for those that already had GA tickets.... This email just came out.

MotoGP Rides Again

Important Ticket Information

Saddle up! The MotoGP Red Bull Grand Prix of the Americas returns to Circuit of The Americas on October 1-3, 2021, and you're all set with your existing ticket package.
We appreciate your flexibility over the past year, so we've upgraded your General Admission tickets to Reserved Seat tickets! You'll now have the chance to explore your favorite GA areas or watch the race from your designated seat.

To access and manage your tickets, log into your Ticketmaster Account Manager. Once you're logged in, you'll see your tickets and designated bleacher and seat number.

We look forward to seeing you at #AmericasGP this fall!

Well that’s good and bad. Those of us who paid a lot for reserve seTs 18 months ago aren’t thrilled…hmm reminds me of student loan forgiveness. 

1 hour ago, Whip said:

What about Dovi?

Yamaha?

Aprilia?

Is Zarco gonna get a full factory Duc ride?

All unknown so far . 

Gonna be interesting with both Dovi and Vinales being talked about for that seat at Aprillia.  Wonder if Aprillia will buy out Salvidori?

Will Yamaha still provide a factory spec bike to Petronas if/when Rossi retires.

• 3 weeks later...

Not unexpected ... but still sad.  The end of an era ...always a threat until the last couple of years, he was/is genuinely respected by fans and competitors, a tireless and marvelous talent , with a flair for showmanship many tried to emulate, but could never really match the innovation and exuberance Rossi demonstrated.  A great spokesperson  for the sport.

Hope he's able to transfer some of that energy, fun and accumulated knowledge to his new MotoGP Team

• Like 3
roadscholar

Well said Chris, when you're at the pinnacle of your sport for so long it's tough to know when to quit. Like Mario who was a rolling chicane and near hazard the last couple years he raced, and A.J. getting out of the car in the Indy 500 and throwing tools around : ) You can't stay young forever and some recognize it better than others, it's like there's a fight between the ego and the intellect, and if there's one thing Valentino's always been is smart.  

As a subscriber, I can't test this ... but according to MotoGP this should be a free link for anyone to view  the "top 10  victories of of Rossi's career" .

So, if your a Rossi / MotoGP fan, you might check it out.  These look to be full race replays, not just highlights.  You're in for a treat if it works :cool:

https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2021/08/05/free-top-10-victories-from-valentino-rossi-s-career/382377

So Viñales ' strange MotoGP journey continues.  After erratic performances, requesting release from his Yamaha contract with an unknown future, expressing displeasure with Yamaha management then walking it back  ..... he's been suspended from racing  in this weekend’s Austrian MotoGP™ ....  due to an "irregular operation of the motorcycle "

from MotoGP

Yamaha’s conclusion is that the rider’s actions could have potentially caused significant damage to the engine of his YZR-M1 bike which could have caused serious risks to the rider himself and possibly posed a danger to all other riders in the MotoGP™ race. 

Continuing the Yamaha drama, Viñales is confirmed now to Aprilia and Morbidelli is moved to the factory team.  

What of Petronas ? Its dropped support for the Sepang Racing Team ( no longer "Petronas SRT" ) for MotoGP ,  Moto2 and Moto3 and the two lesser teams will apparently fold. 

And now the SRT MotoGP team has no riders for 2022  as well as no sponsor ?  :dontknow:

So that leaves Yamaha with only the factory 2 bike team.  What a blow to Yamaha

And still no confirmation from Rossi as to who will be the two riders for his Aramco VR46 teaM.

I saw some of this on Crashnet  I'm a bit surprised Petronas 2-3 gone.  I thought Aprilla would sign Maverick even with his tantrums.  Too good a rider to let get away....if they can harness his personality.  I don't think his implosion is a a big mystery.  I think when Fabio proved to be better, he just couldn't handle.  After all he was supposed to be the Rossi replacement and all eyes on him.

On 8/12/2021 at 7:55 AM, chrisolson said:

"irregular operation of the motorcycle "

They posted on board from his last two laps on the factory Yam.......... huge temper taking it out on the bike......

• 4 weeks later...

So while Morbidelli moves to the factory team with Fabio ... Dovi will finish out this year with Petronas on the 2019 bike ...

But has been guaranteed a 2022 factory spec bike next year. :5210:

The big question is what sponsor replaces Petronas and who will partner with Dovi on that team (who will most likely only have an older spec bike) ???  

Inquiring minds want to know ....  :cool:

20 hours ago, chrisolson said:

The big question is what sponsor replaces Petronas and who will partner with Dovi on that team (who will most likely only have an older spec bike) ???  

The speculation I've see is that it will be Darryn Binder, but jumping straight from Moto3 to MotoGP seems like a big jump to me.

27 minutes ago, Bill_Walker said:

The speculation I've see is that it will be Darryn Binder, but jumping straight from Moto3 to MotoGP seems like a big jump to me.

Yeah, Moto3 straight to MotoGP,  even on a satellite bike .... gotta be crazy or stupidly brave :16:and/or the team has to have a lot of patience to expect results as Dixon is proving even coming with  Superbike and Moto2 credentials .

Still no confirmation on the complete makeup of Rossi's team for 2021 either.

2021 should prove to be interesting

17 hours ago, chrisolson said:

Yeah, Moto3 straight to MotoGP,  even on a satellite bike .... gotta be crazy or stupidly brave

Or, I'm reminded by a search, be Jack Miller, who made that move in 2015.  But he finished second in the Moto3 championship to Alex Marquez in 2014.  Binder's highest championship finish has been 8th, in last year's shortened season, which featured his only race win and four DNFs.  Miller's 2014 Moto3 season included six wins, 10 podiums, and only 2 DNFs.

This isn't exactly a "silly season" topic, but since this is the MotoGP thread we've got going, I thought I'd wonder here:  MotoGP says the race in Austin is going forward, which means teams would be arriving a week from today, or less.  But there's NO ICU space in Austin area hospitals, because they're full of COVID patients.  If a rider gets seriously hurt, that could be big trouble.  And then there's the issue that crowds will be allowed in, even though COVID is surging (though cases have declined slightly in the last few days).  I'm really surprised they're going ahead with it, and won't be surprised if they cancel at the last minute.  But then there's a lot of money involved.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/no-room-austin-area-icus-totally-full-despite-drop-in-covid-19-cases/

On 9/22/2021 at 4:49 PM, Bill_Walker said:

This isn't exactly a "silly season" topic,

Yep, this sorta has become a general MotoGP topic...so in that spirit :

This is supposed to be free to view... from the MotoGP site

Can't verify it since I have a subscription ... but worth a try

USA: watch five of the best GPs for free!

To get yourselves warmed up for the 2021 Americas GP, sit back and enjoy five of the best races from down the years in the USA

https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2021/09/28/usa-watch-five-of-the-best-gps-for-free/395434

Bill....I've never missed a GP in Austin.  One of my favorite events of the year.  I posted here a couple of weeks back I was going to sell this years tickets.  What you heard is true.  Austin is having a local pandemic of Covid. I hate I'm going to miss it in person as this will be Rossi's last USA ride, but myself and my group decided this was not the right time.  I wrote an email to COTA...the Austin track host and asked if they would consider giving me a refund since the high risk of covid.  The refund date passed in July.  They did agree to give me a refund minus a $40 handling charge so I took it.  I'll be back next next year.

Both San Antonio and Houston are roughly an hour away by helicopter.  I don't know how San Antonio is doing, but Houston has some capacity, not much.  

Hey Chris....I wonder if we could do a  Zoom for all who are interesting with the GP app running.  I may try to do that this week with one of the older ones and see if it works.

40 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Hey Chris....I wonder if we could do a  Zoom for all who are interesting with the GP app running.  I may try to do that this week with one of the older ones and see if it works.

An interesting idea .. but probably not one that the site could  officially sponsor :cool:

4 hours ago, chrisolson said:

Yep, this sorta has become a general MotoGP topic...so in that spirit :

This is supposed to be free to view... from the MotoGP site

Can't verify it since I have a subscription ... but worth a try

https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2021/09/28/usa-watch-five-of-the-best-gps-for-free/395434

I just use a different browser where I haven't logged into the MotoGP site if I want to check anything like that. And, if necessary, register with a different email address.

Checking your link, the videos are free but you do have to register before viewing.