IGNORED

I-70 Glenwood Canyon (Glenwood Springs)

I-70 has been subject to periodic unscheduled closures the last few days due to mudslides in the burn scars from last year's fire.  Monsoonal moisture has entered the area.  Check road status before you go.  With US-50 subjected to scheduled closure most of the weekdays, it can be tough to route through western CO right now.

• 1 month later...
roadscholar

Take Hagerman Pass from Basalt to Leadville, problem solved.

Untitled photo

Untitled photo

Untitled photo

Man I bet Aspen is a zoo, even moreso.

6 hours ago, roadscholar said:

Take Hagerman Pass from Basalt to Leadville, problem solved.

Untitled photo

I chickened out right about at this spot, fear of the unknown I guess. (GS) :dontknow: This may need a do over sometime in the future! :yes: 

They've opened US-50 for detour traffic now.  Had been closed all but a few hours weekdays for construction.  

roadscholar

Wouldn't be surprised if this conundrum results in the complete paving of Kebler Pass (it's partially paved now) to open another corridor for future situations now that Cottonwood Pass is fully paved to Buena Vista. Or just take 135 down to US50 in Gunnison. Come to think of it Ohio Pass Rd skirts south of Crested Butte with a straight shot to Gunnison and is mostly paved except the top 5 or so miles.

IMG_1499.JPG

IMG_1482.JPG

Calvin  (no socks)

I did unpaved Kebler pass years ago on the K12s... Packed my radiator grille with Mag Chloride mud and it took $12 worth of quarters in Gunnison car wash to clean bike! Can't imagine it paved...😒

roadscholar

I've done it in Winter (4wd pickup) at night (SUV) and two-up on bikes, no problem. It's well maintained and used by everything from minivans to 18-wheelers because it's a necessary corridor between CB/Gunnison and points north. 

2013-10-02-Kebler-Pass42.jpg

Get ready for more problems in the same area.  What's waiting to come down in the next heavy rain is frightening. 

Danceswithdeer

What a drag. I-70 being closed isn't doing Laramie any favors. I swear, the truck traffic on I-80 has doubled since the road closed. I almost did a loop through Steamboat the other day, but after watching a newscast of bumper to bumper traffic crawling through town, I'm glad I changed my mind.