IGNORED

Colorado, Utah, Arizona National Parks tour

I am planning to do a National Park tour to include Bryce Canyon, Zion, Grand Canyon etc... and I am trying to decide what dates to go would be better, or if it makes a difference at all.  I am going to ride out and my wife is going to fly and meet me, probably in Colorado Springs.  I am trying to determine if it would be better the last two weeks in August, or the last week in August into the first week in September.  I do not know if it matters that short of a time difference, but I am concerned about the higher elevations (for my wife's sake) and how cold it could possibly get at those times.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  

Johnny Jetson

Wow, Ron.   A lot to cover in those questions.   I used to do tours through the Utah parks and Grand Cyn, so can answer quite a bit about that area.  I'm sure someone else in the group has current Pike's Peak and Rocky Mtn Nat'l park experience. 

Be sure to catch the  Colorado Monument near Grand Junction -- it's probably on your way, on the way out or back. 

Generally, this is a very busy year for all of the western parks and always a busy time of year, and all of the Utah parks (and Grand Canyon) are remote from major urban centers, so the hotel space is limited and expensive, and I suggest you get reservations soon. 

Also, expect crowds at all the parks. Arrive early, see the park, and avoid lines and crowds. 

Specific Parks:  

Grand Canyon -- Stay in either Flagstaff or Williams. The hotels and dining inside the park are substandard.  Try to be at the rim of the canyon for sunrise and sunset.  I like Grandview and  Powell points for views, but the walk from Yavapai to Mather point is the best way to walk along the rim.  Don't take the train from Williams into the park unless you are bringing the grandkids.  As of a few months ago, the condors have moved down to the West end of the park and you won't see them.  Don't try to do the North rim unless you have a day to spend -- A very pretty place, and very quiet, but the views don't have the drama of the South rim. Might want to ride Rt. 66 while you are there.  The longest surviving stretch is west of the park about an hr off of I-40 from Seligman through Peach Springs to Kingman. 

Monument Valley -- Owned by the Navajos.  Another spectacular place.  Sunset is best views.  

Zion -- It's a problem.  I think you need reservations to take the shuttle into Zion Canyon, or you'll have to hike along the road.  No private cars allowed unless you have a hotel res. You could stay in St George if the hotels in Springdale are full. Going through the tunnel to exit the park on the East side can be very time-consuming. They shut down the tunnel every few mins for motorhomes and busses. Zion is probably my least favorite of the major parks in Utah. 

Bryce --  Incredible beauty, esp @ sunrise & sunset.  Ruby's Inn complex is a good place to stay.  If they are full, Cedar City is fairly close.  There are some small Mom & Pops in the valley below Bryce around Tropic and Cannonville, but it looks like "adventure hoteling" to me.  

Be sure you make the drive between Moab & Bryce Cyn via Torrey on Ut 12 & 24.  It's God's gift to a motorcyclists up over Hell's Backbone.  Jaw droppng country. This route passes through Capitol Reef park.  Again, hard to enjoy unless you are interested in geology or have a guidebook.  Some of the best pre-historic rock paintings were ruined a few years ago by some uncontrolled children -- terribly sad. 

Moab -- Likely to be very crowded, including the campgrounds.  Get res's early, expect $250+/night.  Cute little town, but the Salt Lake off-road crowd comes down for the weekends and they buy up hotel and campground space.  Mid week is a little easier if you can arrange it. 

Arches -- My favorite of all the parks.  Go up to Delicate Arch at sunset and take the famous picture.  It's an easy hike and you'll never forget it. Lines at the entrance get very bad from mid-morning until late afternoon.

Canyonlands --  This is a hard park to see.  It's enormous, and the 2 principle viewing areas are far apart.  Island in the Sky is easier to get to and easier to enjoy without quite a bit of hiking.  The famous sunrise picture is Mesa Arch.  It's well marked off  of Island in The Sky rd. 

Contact me off line with specific q's -- jdburton111@gmail.   Enjoy your trip! 

Johnny,

Thank you for taking the time and providing all that information.  I just might shoot you an email with some questions.  My routes  take in just about everything you mentioned, but the added information is some very good advice.  I am also interested in the weather in those locations during that time of year.  I am wondering what the weather will be like and if it would be better to go during the last two weeks in August or the last week in August and into the first week in September, or if it really does not make a difference.  

• Smile 1

September is better because some kids will be back to school so less tourists. If you need to stay near Zion, I would suggest Kanab. Try to do the North Rim of the Grand Canyon if you can. 

• Smile 1

Reservations are no longer required for the shuttle in Zion, but wait times are around 2 hours just to get a shuttle ride. 

• Smile 1
roadscholar

I like September, specifically the 3rd week, in Colorado the aspens are yellow and family vacation time is over (far fewer people). The air is cool and crisp at elevation (60’s day, 30’s night) and more tolerable/comfortable in Utah and Az. Yes snow is possible up high but it’s that way anytime.

• Like 1
  • Smile 1

Bryce is high, Zion is low, Grand Canyon in between.  Zion will likely be very hot in the time frame you mention, Bryce should still be pretty nice until late September or early October.  To do all three I would prefer the later time frame you mention, or later.  Fall color typically peaks around third to fourth week of September in the Rockies.  That does imply frosts at night at the higher elevations, but it typically warms quickly in the daytime.  

As for Zion, coming from Bryce or GC, and considering the time of year, maybe just tour the eastern portion, above the tunnel.  It's a thousand feet higher.  Still going to be hot, but not as hot.  It is my favorite park of the three, but we always went in uncrowded winter.