IGNORED

Lolo Pass from Great Falls

Currently at the MOA rally in Great Falls.  I've been told that Lolo pass is a must ride. My question is how far 

Must I go into Idaho to get the benefit of the ride. I don't have a deadline Aston when I need to be home but because I haven't been home sin e June 2, I am a bit hesitant to travel too much further west.

Since no one replied, this may be too late but here goes. 

The Lolo Pass ride is super.  The short jaunt from Missoula to Lolo Pass is only 45 miles.  Pic 1 shows a moose warning only 7-8 miles up.  A nice little visitor center sits at the summit.  Pic 2 shows one of the interpretive signs.

From there you can descend highway 12 along the Lochsa River. This was near the route of the Lewis and Clark party, who were close to starvation in the fall of 1805. 

If on time constraints,  turn around after a 20 mile descent and return to Highway 90 to stay in Missoula or head back SE to Bozeman. Both are cool towns, though I prefer Bozeman's lighter traffic. 

Enjoy your ride back home

1.jpg

2.jpg

On 6/29/2021 at 2:23 AM, BendBill said:

Since no one replied, this may be too late but here goes. 

The Lolo Pass ride is super.  The short jaunt from Missoula to Lolo Pass is only 45 miles.  Pic 1 shows a moose warning only 7-8 miles up.  A nice little visitor center sits at the summit.  Pic 2 shows one of the interpretive signs.

From there you can descend highway 12 along the Lochsa River. This was near the route of the Lewis and Clark party, who were close to starvation in the fall of 1805. 

If on time constraints,  turn around after a 20 mile descent and return to Highway 90 to stay in Missoula or head back SE to Bozeman. Both are cool towns, though I prefer Bozeman's lighter traffic. 

Enjoy your ride back home

1.jpg

2.jpg

Yes, it's too late but thanks for the reply anyway.

• 5 weeks later...
Danny caddyshack Noonan

The most clear day in awhile and you can just make the east end of Lolo pass out over the Taj Mahal shop under construction.

6589580_Lolowithlowsmoke.thumb.jpg.14b65e99b3cadf4e1434c1e3e53a4c28.jpg

szurszewski
3 hours ago, Rob Nowell said:

I froze my ass off on US 12 just a few weeks ago (July 16) on my way home from Missoula.

It was plenty warm the weeks before and after the rally!