IGNORED

Removing minor scratches from windshield?

Mike O

What's your recommendation for removing minor scratches from the stock windshield of a 2003 R1150RT?

Regards,

Mike O

Firefight911

Plexus!

That stuff is awesome. Originally created for military application to canopies on military aircraft. Does a wonderful job.

ShovelStrokeEd

Mike,

Plexus is good stuff and a nice protectant. It won't remove any scratches though.

For that you are going to need a polishing compound and some elbow grease, or better yet a soft polishing widget mounted on an electric drill. I use Zymol HD Cleanse on both my face shields and windscreens.

Be aware that BMW windscreens come with a coating and the polishing compound is likely to remove same. A good wax afterwards will help and then use Plexus and a microfiber cloth, kept as clean as you can, to clear off accumulated grunge. If the stuff is heavy before hand, soak a hand towel in warm water and drape it over the windscreen for awhile. Then wipe very gently with a wet micorfibre towel first before applying the Plexus.

Toothpaste works well in a pinch, like when you are on the road for weeks on end (I wish). Most hotels will supply you with free toothpaste if you forget yours, that and a face cloth works well! thumbsup.gif

MicroMesh aircraft canopy scratch remover kit works for me. It is a series of reducing grades of abrasive papers, ending up with abut 5000 grit.

Available from your local friendly aviation supply store.

Andy thumbsup.gif

These are minor scratches...3 in all. While preparing my bike for Torrey, I decided to wipe down the windshield. I laid the towel I was using on my workbench to grab the can of Plexus, and when I picked it up, I also picked up a metal shaving. crazy.gif

I proceeded to wipe the shield, and fortunately noticed the scratch I was delivering right away! It's minor, not in the line of sight, but I figure if its not too much trouble, I'd try to 'buff' it out.

Keep the suggestions coming...

Regards,

Mike O

P.S. I guess we could have a 'buffing-out' party in Torrey!

Check out the "Novus" brand of polish. They make 3 grades with #1 being pure polish/cleaner. #2 has a light buffing compound and #3 has a more aggressive compound.

I've successfully used Novus #2 on a foam polishing bonnet attached to a 5" random orbital sander. Be sure to keep the orbital speed low and the pressure even and you'll be pleasantly surprised at what can be buffed out. thumbsup.gif

I am curious if the folks suggesting the polish treatment for scratches are speaking of doing so on the stock screen?

The reason I say this is that the stock screen is polycarbonate coated the same way most all faceshields are.

You can have your eye glasses coated the same way "anti scratch" option.

Well once that surface is compromised exposing the plexiglas below it's a tough fix.

While buffing the polycarbonate surface will be buffed down until you reach the plexi thus revealing a halo of two surfaces. That is even worse than a scratch!

When I bought Bounces bike I noticed some flaking of the poly surface on the screen. I wanted to believe it wasn't coated but it was thus turning into a massive wet sanding adventure to remove all the poly coat on both sides just to buff it clear. What a job.

So when I picked up a CB summer screen I called and made sure their product wasn't coated. Nope so it's a easy fix down the road when it gets scratched up.

ShovelStrokeEd

The Cee Bailey's stuff is Novus #1.

And Tony, I did mention the coating but, since most folks lack the facitlity to replace that coating, what's a poor boy to do?

The reason I say this is that the stock screen is polycarbonate coated the same way most all faceshields are.

You can have your eye glasses coated the same way "anti scratch" option.

Well once that surface is compromised exposing the plexiglas below it's a tough fix.

While buffing the polycarbonate surface will be buffed down until you reach the plexi thus revealing a halo of two surfaces. That is even worse than a scratch!

Yep. Due to the coating on the screen a polishing attempt may well do more harm than good unless you employ exactly the right products and techniques. Unless the scratch is so unlivable that you're willing to risk that... frankly I wouldn't mess with it...

I am the poorest boy of them all!

That's how I got into my resurfacing predicament! clap.gifdopeslap.gif

I just wanted people to know that there is no easy fix so be careful with which way you go with it as the end result may not make you very happy

I think I'm going to leave these be. I have a feeling that what are 3 minor scratches at the peripheral of the shield, with my luck, will result in 3 major blemishes.

Thanks for you help. As always...!!

Regards,

Mike O

Somewhere I saw a post about a material used on aircraft that was claimed to be the second coming. Cannot remember the name, although Repel seems to ring a bell. Did a search for the stuff once and found a source in MO but could not get a reply to my inquiry. Watch out for anything that removes the coating that comes on our face shields or windscreens as Ed mentions. Once that coating is removed you will have a long term regimen of dealing with the residual scratches. Good luck.

There is a laminated coating 'or film' on the inside. After a few years it may start to 'crackle'. Just remove the screen, take it to a high pressure coin car wash and blast it away. The screen will look great afterwards.

Archived