IGNORED

Ram Tough-Charge with X-Grip Tech Waterproof Wireless Charging Motorcycle Mount Review

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

Ram X-Grip Wireless Charge Mount intro

RAM Mounts were first introduced in 1995, and over the last 25 years their ball and socket system has become the most ubiquitous way to mount devices wherever you need them. Recently they increased functionality to include Qi wireless charging with the Tough-Charge line of mounts.

As with other RAM Mount offerings, Tough-Charge Mounts are available with a glut of options and kits. My kit came with EVERYTHING I could possibly need to complete the installation on my bike: Tough-Charge X-Grip, a short arm, U-bolt handlebar mount, two-part wiring harness, and zip ties to secure wiring. However, if you already have a RAM Ball and USB outlet convenient where you’ll be mounting the charger, save a few bucks by getting the Tough-Charge X-Grip only. Installation time varies based on your needs, but it’s a job just about any rider should be able to manage.

RAM ToughCharge XGrip FB

Opening the box, I was surprised at how large and heavy the unit is and wondered if it was a little overbuilt. But after riding with it for several months in all conditions from dry and dusty to torrential rain, rough trails, and a few tumbles, I realized it’s built just right. This unit lives up to the capital “T” in Tough-Charge, it stays put when tightened down, but easily adjusts to any position and has never failed to keep my phone secured, fully charged, and ready. Qi wireless charging is compatible with a wide variety of modern smartphones and can put out up to 10W for fast charging if yours supports it.

I did find a couple of concerns with the unit, primarily the need to have it either wired to switched power or remember to turn it off when parked to prevent parasitic drain of the bike’s battery. Less commonly, the wireless charger puts out enough energy to disrupt the immobilizer system of my Tiger 800 when it’s mounted close to the ignition key. After at first being alarmed by my bike's refusal to turn over, a simple relocation of the mount farther from the ignition resolved the problem. This will be less of a concern for older bikes, but those with “chip” keys may be affected, as both the charger and the security system use an inductive coil to operate.

If you’re looking for a wireless charging solution that can hold up to rough adventure riding, the RAM Tough-Charge X-Grip is certainly up to the task.

RAM ToughCharge XGrip 2

MSRP: $129.49–$212.49

RamMount.com

PROS:

• Convenient and easy to use
  • Waterproof
  • Comprehensive kit options

CONS:

• Strong parasitic draw
  • Possible interference with other electronics

Where to Buy: 

Revzilla btn

Amazon btn

FEuI5lvQxzk

View the full article

It’s good to see alternatives for wireless charging on a motorcycle. I made the switch to a Quad Lock system for my BMWs. I’ve never felt that the X-Grip system was quite as secure as it should be, and indeed I have read a few accounts of folks’ phones bouncing off their bikes. The extension on the bottom that’s part of this mount looks like it may address some of those concerns.

The Quad Lock, which uses a 1” ball that’s compatible with RAM arms is about as robust as you can imagine, and the case is fully locked into the mount. An optional vibration damper offers additional peace of mind that you’re not going to shake your phone to death. However, the Quad Lock case is not all that readily compatible with other magnetic charging systems, so you may find it necessary to switch cases if you don’t have Quad Lock mounts in your cars or trucks.