IGNORED

Driveshaft

davesk1200lt

davesk1200lt

I've just been told I need a new driveshaft and a bunch of bearings on my 09. I told them to reassemble and I would think about it.

I took it in because I think I hear a bearing noise all the time and worse if I lean either way.

Dealer quote $5115.51

I just bought the bike and only put 3 or 4 hundred miles on it. The noise has been there since I got it. Bike has 70,000 lm or about 42,000 miles on it.

So.. question.  is it dangerous to drive in this condition ?

40 minutes ago, davesk1200lt said:

I've just been told I need a new driveshaft and a bunch of bearings on my 09. I told them to reassemble and I would think about it.

I took it in because I think I hear a bearing noise all the time and worse if I lean either way.

Dealer quote $5115.51

I just bought the bike and only put 3 or 4 hundred miles on it. The noise has been there since I got it. Bike has 70,000 lm or about 42,000 miles on it.

So.. question.  is it dangerous to drive in this condition ?

Afternoon davesk1200lt

Probably not dangerous BUT that is just a guess based on (basically no inspection or riding that motorcycle).

We don't even know for sure what BMW model you are talking about. You are posting in the hexhead forum but your name is 1200lt?

davesk1200lt
1 minute ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon davesk1200lt

Probably not dangerous BUT that is just a guess based on (basically no inspection or riding that motorcycle).

We don't even know for sure what BMW model you are talking about. You are posting in the hexhead forum but your name is 1200lt?

Sorry first time on this or any forum. It is an 09 K1200LT

3 minutes ago, davesk1200lt said:

Sorry first time on this or any forum. It is an 09 K1200LT

Afternoon davesk1200lt

OK, thanks, still can't give you much until we know what bearings need replacing & how bad the  present ones are.

davesk1200lt

Thank You.

They are calling pinion and ring gear bearings along with the driveshaft. I am going to pick it up this afternoon. I would think they are using overkill on the differentail to cover thier behind. The noise is noticeable but then I've been an automotive technician for forty years so maybe I'm more attuned to it.  It's not like it is grinding and the wheel is falling off ( I hope cause I do wear hearing aids :) )

First time with a european bike, regular ride was/is a ZRX1200R Kawasaki I've had for 20 years.

46 minutes ago, davesk1200lt said:

Thank You.

They are calling pinion and ring gear bearings along with the driveshaft. I am going to pick it up this afternoon. I would think they are using overkill on the differentail to cover thier behind. The noise is noticeable but then I've been an automotive technician for forty years so maybe I'm more attuned to it.  It's not like it is grinding and the wheel is falling off ( I hope cause I do wear hearing aids :) )

First time with a european bike, regular ride was/is a ZRX1200R Kawasaki I've had for 20 years.

Afternoon  davesk1200lt

On your final drive (single track vehicle so no differential) ride it to get the drive warm, then drop the final drive gear oil into a clean pan, then strain the removed gear oil through a paper towel. Then take the paper towel out into the sunlight & look for sparklies (this will tell you a lot about what is going on inside your drive).

Even more important, if the drain plug has a magnet, or if you capture the stuff from the paper towel, run that debris between your thumb & forefinger feeling for sharp pieces. Anything sharp feeling is bad news as far as bearings go. 

I took it in because I think I hear a bearing noise all the time and worse if I lean either way.-- This almost always points to tire wear not bearings. A little tire edge feathering or cupping can make one heck of a serious sounding bearing type growl.  

Just something else to check is the tires , when they wear they can howl and the sound changes when you lean. 

davesk1200lt

Yes I've experienced tire noise, especially the front on my ZRX from tire scrub every time it lands !  These tires are new last year just before I bought it and I don't feel any scalloping front or rear.

Thank You

davesk1200lt

I am picking it up and will check the rear fluid after a 100 kilometers. Taking it over to a friends father-in-law who is a retired Bimmer and Harley tech for a test drive to see what he says.

Thanks again all