IGNORED

After "Mis-hap"...inspect, inspect

DaveTheAffable

DaveTheAffable

Hopefully a helpful reminder to others, because it was an oversight on my part.

Last month while returning from a 10 day trip to Arkansas and other places, I was driving down the center of the lane of the highway and the car ahead of me drove over a large piece of asphalt successfully. I didn't see it until it was too late. If I had been riding in the "Tire track" of the vehicle ahead of me, I would've missed it entirely. That was a mistake number one.

Thankfully I stayed up on the bike, but I immediately lost tire pressure and realized I had a severely damage front rim. I waited five hours at a gas station until a friend came and helped me load the bike into his truck and we drove it home. I took the damaged front rim to Dr. John's in Anaheim and they did a beautiful job repairing it. I reinstalled it this weekend and decided, "Well, I need to wash the bike now."

Guess what, I found additional damage to the bike in the rear. A moderate size chunk of rear tire was missing, and there was some minimal scuffing to the rear rim.

Hyperfocus doesn't always just occur on the road, sometimes it occurs after the fact. I was so focused on that front rim, and that damaged tire, that I didn't bother to look further. Fortunately it was nothing serious, but a lesson relearned nonetheless.

Ride well, and if you have a mishap, inspect well!

Does the rear have damage...  you might want Dr John to have look prior to new rubber.  Good luck with it Dave!

I don't know the the 1200 well enough to give specifics, but I would give the front suspension a good inspection too.  Probably not, but better to be sure that the forks weren't also tweaked by the impact.