IGNORED

4 day weekend trip. dumped stuff on highway.

Redman

SGYL0M2l.jpg

Here I am about to depart, all three bags stuffed. Look at the shiney side cases.

Heading to southern Indiana (just over 300 miles) to an annual rally I have been going to since 2005. Bedford Indiana, rally organized on GSResources (1970s- 1980s Suzukis).

IS at a small old (but clean) motel intown on what is now the business route, and the group pretty much fills up the place. Any more, about only a half of the bikes are old suzuks. THis year was folks there from 8 states. THe roads there in south western Indiana are great, and most areas are fairly low population, a lot of the roads just follow the lay of the land, and have not been brought up to current standards.

Some misc pics of goings on there at the motel. Is a great place for the group in that the parking lot is away from the road.

gR1fqwtm.jpg

PhtDGuOm.jpg

Two FJRs, Two RTs, Two GSAs,  and FZ1, Bonnieville, Tiger1050, Tiger 800, and a few more.

And one or two or three each of GS450, 550, 650, 850, 1000, 1100.

(And not my GS1100GK.) 

YuILW6Lm.jpg

GS850G that he has mounted 1100GK sidebags that he takes off for track days.

mGlNbk5m.jpg

Not any catering cheff carving prime rib like have I seen posted for some BMW rallys.

THis night was pizza and salad. Other night was grilled chicken and brats and such.

IIjBkdqm.jpg

This FZ09 seemed to gather a lot of attention. He got it after starting looking for Tiger 1050. Somewhat similar specs, and can be found for lot less.

Zwqlspll.jpg

Maybe about half the group.

• Like 2

and some pics of when out for a ride on Friday and Saturday (a bit abbreviated by heavy rains)

7CJA3XDl.jpg

kH1APbSl.jpg

IN-135

wLv40vBl.jpg

Williams Bridge out just off IN 450.

nLLhRaVl.jpg

Tulip Trestle off IN43.

eNhcQFkl.jpg

Medora brick plant kilns. Off Tunnelton RD and FT Ritner Road

Also look on map at IN 62, IN 66, IN 43, IN 45, IN 46, IN 150, IN 39 and about any smaller more local road.

Becks Mill Road for example.

I had more pics of some of those roads, . . . .  but more about that later.

• Like 3

gf0rDjAl.jpg

Me with camera.

to be continued...... (maybe tommorow)

the real story is the ride home.....

Headed home Sunday.

Diverted into Grand Rapids to head to a family gathering.

On I-131 at interchange of I-96, a nearby car is blowing horn repeatedly and pointing at back of my bike, I look and I see side case hanging open, Yikes, I pull over and stop on narrow shoulder of road up against a cement wall. Traffic wizzing by. Cover is hanging all the way down, dragging on pavement, with the lanyard pulled out of the retractor thing. Is still a couple things in bottom of the case, but it had been stuffed full of stuff. THis is all unnerving. I look back and dont see any of my stuff. I walk back aways and still dont see any of my stuff. And traffic is wizzing by and is only about 2 1/2 foot of a shoulder there in a curve. I was unnerved, and could not even think of what was lost. SOme gloves, rain suit, misc spare Suzuki spare parts that I had habit of carrying to such a rally (and sometimes some get used by someone at the rally). I then thought this aint a good place to stop, whatever I lost is gone, get out of there. SO continued to the interchange and to the exit to my daughter's, then it occurred to me , oh, pouiee, my camera was in that bag, ah, anguishing.

So I turned around, got back on i96 the other way and then south on I131 and found, and exit, then back north on 131 back about 3/4 mile from where I stopped before I started to find some of my stuff , but not the camera. Is cement walls on both sides, so wasnt asnywhere for it to go that would be out of sight. Am walking along on narrow shoulder with just enough room for the bike. I walk back and forth a couple times. I cant belive someone would stop there, isnt any room for a car to stop. But I can not find the camera nor anything else that was in the camera bag. Afterawhile I figure it is lost, and I better get out of there.

Next day, Is still bothering me that I cant find it.

THEn I get the idea tha maybe the bag came open lot furter back, but maybe was a while before the lanyard broke loose. So I retrace my path all the way back to i-196 then i 131 north,,,, and about 2 miles from where I first stopped I started seeing stuff like sunscreen tube squished on the road, misc earplugs scatterd about. so I stopp on shoulder and am walking along, see one rain boot about 3 lanes over that I aint about to try to retrieve. I walk along for a while, then go back and move bike. Andf then a state tropper stopps with lights aflashing. ASks me if I lost something, I tell him that my side case opened up and dumped stuff out, see there is one of my boots, but I cant find my camera, hoping I can find at least some of it that would have the memory card (SD, not micro SD). Right then I notice something and step over to it.... it is reminate of my camera

IOSpKj8l.jpg

I look around some more but not seeing anything else.

Cop asks me something about how I think I can walk on narrow shoulder of interstetehighway, and I tell him I used to work for country roadcommisssion so I kinda got used to be being near traffic. He kinda nodded his head in understanding. Then he asked me about "side case opened up" and he walks over toward the bike,  which I thought was peculiar, so I showed him the skuff and the broken layard, and that I just got the bike last week and maybe I didnt latch it up well or maybe something was jammed in the latch so it didnt fully latch or something. He then say those are the same bags as his 06 RT. And then he helped me decide -ahem- that I should abaondon my search for the memory card and get off the shoulder of the road.

Am still abit annoyed that I lost the camera, more so the memory card with pics of the weekend. But was satisifed in that I did figure out why I could not find anything of the camera on 1st and 2nd search. Apparently the bag came open, and must have road along hanging on the lanyard for a mile or so spilling out some stuff, and then a little later the lanyard broke and dumped out more stuff closer to where I stopped.

(Oh, this is lot longer story that I intended.)

Iu8uJeXl.jpg

About that skuff area.

Anybody know If I need to be concerened about it soaking up water and deforming furter or anything like that?

I took off the retractor mechanism, to see if I could reattach the lanyard or something, which I did.

But then when trying to wind up the spring... this happened

PDpABrvl.jpg

Doah, maybe I wound it up the wrong direction. I ant fussing with it any more. Just put it back together with out the spring. It doesn't retract, but the lanyard is there. 

I see news ones are available for $28.

I tell you all this about the side case opening up and dumping stuff out, so you can laugh at me.

szurszewski

I’m not going to laugh at you - that’s lame :(

Bummer to lose the pics, and the camera, but glad you didn’t get hurt when it spilled or looking for your stuff. 

• Like 2

Sorry you lost so much.

Those panniers are not known for popping open. They do tend to accumulate dirt and grit in the internal mechanism, which can make them very stiff to operate. The latches should operate easily with just a finger. If not, then they would benefit from opening them up for a good cleaning and lube. It's a fairly complicated mechanism, but we do have pictures somewhere here on the forum that can help.

Unless there is an actual hole or crack in the double wall lid, the scuff will not hurt anything except the appearance.  Bondo and paint can fix that, if it bothers you.

On 6/20/2021 at 11:41 AM, lkraus said:

Those panniers are not known for popping open. ........

I do suspect it was my own fault.

Leading suspect is that maybe something was jammed in one of the latches or something so it didnt latch up completely.

Or maybe I had not pressed the lever back down all the way, my mental malfunction.

I had stopped and got gateraid bottle out of that case, and maybe I didnt latch it all the way intending to get back into it. But I finished the gatoraid, tossed the bottle in trash can, went for a walk, and rested in shade for a while. THen came back to bike and took off. THe side case opened up about 60 miles later.

I had a saddlebag open up on my Harley (not a clam shell), most stuff stayed in, but lost two of my favorite cold weather hats, on a busy 4 lane divided hiway. I was bummed, I loved those hats.

The next morning on the way to work, I was driving the opposite way on the road, and swore I saw one of them. Went up and back around, saw both, stopped in the work van with hazards on, gathered my prizes and reveled in my luck! No damage at all to either one.

Since then, I always lock my bags. I mention this story to others often as they are setting out on their ride, the wife throwing her purse in the bag. Most of them lock their bags before they set off.

So sorry to read about your trip having such a mental stain from the loss of goods. At least you are physically good and otherwise, it looks like you had a good trip.

My wife gave me some very old pen and ink drawings to mail via registered mail of her hometown (Upland, CA)courthouse buildings to the county clerk there. Nice day, so I decided to take the RT. Just crossed the Arkansas river via I-430 bridge when a Good Samaritan honked and pointed to my bike. 

Same as your experience only no lanyard mess or damage. I searched and searched but they have probably made it to the Mississippi River or Gulf of Mexico by now. Pretty tough day back at the hacienda. I double/triple check my latches every time now. 

On 6/19/2021 at 11:21 PM, Redman said:

Headed home Sunday.

Diverted into Grand Rapids to head to a family gathering.

On I-131 at interchange of I-96, a nearby car is blowing horn repeatedly and pointing at back of my bike, I look and I see side case hanging open, Yikes, I pull over and stop on narrow shoulder of road up against a cement wall. Traffic wizzing by. Cover is hanging all the way down, dragging on pavement, with the lanyard pulled out of the retractor thing. Is still a couple things in bottom of the case, but it had been stuffed full of stuff. THis is all unnerving. I look back and dont see any of my stuff. I walk back aways and still dont see any of my stuff. And traffic is wizzing by and is only about 2 1/2 foot of a shoulder there in a curve. I was unnerved, and could not even think of what was lost. SOme gloves, rain suit, misc spare Suzuki spare parts that I had habit of carrying to such a rally (and sometimes some get used by someone at the rally). I then thought this aint a good place to stop, whatever I lost is gone, get out of there. SO continued to the interchange and to the exit to my daughter's, then it occurred to me , oh, pouiee, my camera was in that bag, ah, anguishing.

So I turned around, got back on i96 the other way and then south on I131 and found, and exit, then back north on 131 back about 3/4 mile from where I stopped before I started to find some of my stuff , but not the camera. Is cement walls on both sides, so wasnt asnywhere for it to go that would be out of sight. Am walking along on narrow shoulder with just enough room for the bike. I walk back and forth a couple times. I cant belive someone would stop there, isnt any room for a car to stop. But I can not find the camera nor anything else that was in the camera bag. Afterawhile I figure it is lost, and I better get out of there.

Next day, Is still bothering me that I cant find it.

THEn I get the idea tha maybe the bag came open lot furter back, but maybe was a while before the lanyard broke loose. So I retrace my path all the way back to i-196 then i 131 north,,,, and about 2 miles from where I first stopped I started seeing stuff like sunscreen tube squished on the road, misc earplugs scatterd about. so I stopp on shoulder and am walking along, see one rain boot about 3 lanes over that I aint about to try to retrieve. I walk along for a while, then go back and move bike. Andf then a state tropper stopps with lights aflashing. ASks me if I lost something, I tell him that my side case opened up and dumped stuff out, see there is one of my boots, but I cant find my camera, hoping I can find at least some of it that would have the memory card (SD, not micro SD). Right then I notice something and step over to it.... it is reminate of my camera

IOSpKj8l.jpg

I look around some more but not seeing anything else.

Cop asks me something about how I think I can walk on narrow shoulder of interstetehighway, and I tell him I used to work for country roadcommisssion so I kinda got used to be being near traffic. He kinda nodded his head in understanding. Then he asked me about "side case opened up" and he walks over toward the bike,  which I thought was peculiar, so I showed him the skuff and the broken layard, and that I just got the bike last week and maybe I didnt latch it up well or maybe something was jammed in the latch so it didnt fully latch or something. He then say those are the same bags as his 06 RT. And then he helped me decide -ahem- that I should abaondon my search for the memory card and get off the shoulder of the road.

Am still abit annoyed that I lost the camera, more so the memory card with pics of the weekend. But was satisifed in that I did figure out why I could not find anything of the camera on 1st and 2nd search. Apparently the bag came open, and must have road along hanging on the lanyard for a mile or so spilling out some stuff, and then a little later the lanyard broke and dumped out more stuff closer to where I stopped.

(Oh, this is lot longer story that I intended.)

Iu8uJeXl.jpg

Granted, mine little scar is on the side, but it's been that way for a few years now and I've no issues.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/bmwstcom/monthly_2019_09/559198467_IMG_0829(002).jpg.bdff90edba8a1b29bce819f44ff5ba66.jpg

I’ve had a hex head side case pop open on me. You’re not alone. Prior to it opening I heard a snap/pop and then I couldn’t get it open, and on the way to the dealer it flopped open and I lost some stuff. Some dealers will fixem and others will not. 

• 1 year later...

I've put a nylon wire tie where the lanyard attaches to the lid.  If then lanyard pops loose the lid call reach the pavement when you open it and get scratched.

I once lost the bags on a Harley Dyna.  They had a poorly designed mount.  Loosing bags sucks.

I rode from San Francisco to Lake Tahoe.  Imagine my surprise when I arrived with only one bag.  Never found it.  I think Jethro Tull in my ears didn't help.

lawnchairboy
On 6/21/2021 at 4:28 PM, Redman said:

I do suspect it was my own fault.

Leading suspect is that maybe something was jammed in one of the latches or something so it didnt latch up completely.

Or maybe I had not pressed the lever back down all the way, my mental malfunction.

I had stopped and got gateraid bottle out of that case, and maybe I didnt latch it all the way intending to get back into it. But I finished the gatoraid, tossed the bottle in trash can, went for a walk, and rested in shade for a while. THen came back to bike and took off. THe side case opened up about 60 miles later.

My '06 cases on the RT over 10 + years got taken apart twice and regreased, cleaned on the innards.  Only the germans could design something that complex.  It is a PIA job but pretty necessary as the mechanisms almost invariably seem to get gunked up and stiffen over time.  If you have these cases and have never done it I would encourage you to do so.  There is a good pictorial post on this site that I used.   Pack your patience.  If I can do it anybody can.  

the case locking mechanisms worked like butter after some new teflon grease and degunking the mechanisms.  sorry about the loss of stuff. 

• Like 2
On 8/5/2022 at 8:23 AM, lawnchairboy said:

. . . . . .

....... . . There is a good pictorial post on this site that I used.   Pack your patience.  If I can do it anybody can.  

the case locking mechanisms worked like butter after some new teflon grease and degunking the mechanisms.  ...

I should find that.

Sometimes the top case is difficult to open, have to try different things like pushing in on the lever before/while pushing the button.

And I have learnt that if any of the latches are presenting any difficulty when trying to latch, to not push harder,  but stop and check to determine if anything in interfering with the lid fully closing.

lawnchairboy

when you do it, carefully keep track of the locations and numbers of screws.  On the 06's anyhow, there were several different sizes and make sure that when you split the inner case from the outer case that the mechanism is on the down side.  DAMHIK.  

Wow ….. first that looks like a great event.  Would love to have been there (maybe next year) as my first 2 bikes were Suzuki …. My first was a ‘82 GS650g and my next was the very rare ‘85 Madura 1200.  It’s great seeing those great bikes!

So sorry to hear about your side case incident. I would have done the same as you only I’d probably still be looking for the memory card:ohboy:

Thanks  for sharing the great pictures!

And like I always say “if that’s the worst think that happens to me today then life is not so bad!