IGNORED

Bill Mayer Saddle for 1250 GSA

Mike

I only have a little less than 500 miles on it, but i wanted to give a big thumbs up to Rocky Mayer at Bill Mayer Saddles.

It was quickly apparent that my butt and the stock set didn’t agree. I contacted Rocky, who always seems extremely responsive, and talked it over with him. I wanted to increase comfort without having a saddle that splayed my legs and made flat footing on the tall GSA difficult. It turns out that Rocky has a great deal of experience with the GS/GSA saddles and has come up with a design specifically for the owners of those models.  

He had a factory seat pan in stock, and after sending him a photo of me on the GSA, plus some other measurements, he had the new saddle on its way to me the next day! I wouldn’t expect that to be possible in every instance—for example, he’ll be at the MOA Rally in a few days and focusing on the on-site builds—but this is light years ahead of what I’ve experienced with other custom saddles.

The verdict? A huge improvement instantly, and now that I have a few hundred miles on the saddle, even better. It completely transforms the experience by making the hurt go away. It’s the same general approach used by other custom builders—a wider, more conforming saddle design that eliminates hot spots. 

Excellent product. Excellent service. Highly recommended.

https://www.billmayer-saddles.com

8F7AE215-CBE0-4B4E-82F1-9FB0C57F8DD2.jpeg

F1FC2A0B-1880-446C-BBC4-784DE791A8B7.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
Bill_Walker

I'll second this recommendation.  I've had two BMS saddles, one done for my V-Strom on a ride-in when they were in Ojai, and another built for a previous owner that came on my R1150RT.  Both were great. 

Much to my surprise, I've so far found the stock saddle on my R1200RT perfectly adequate for the kind of riding I've been doing, or I would have ponied up for another BMS.

• Thanks 1

A minor update: with about 600 miles on the saddle, it’s even better. Rocky says that his seats do this, conforming to one’s butt over a period of a thousand miles. 

• 4 weeks later...

Sad news: Rocky passed away on Friday of last week. In my brief interactions with him, he was a cheerful, positive guy. No word on the future of BMS, but I assume his partner(s) will keep the company going.

• Sad 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/19/2021 at 4:06 PM, Mike said:

Sad news: Rocky passed away on Friday of last week. In my brief interactions with him, he was a cheerful, positive guy. No word on the future of BMS, but I assume his partner(s) will keep the company going.

I’m sure the company’s future is a delicate and perhaps unsettled question at this point, but BMS is continuing to service their existing orders. This banner is at the top of their home page: Breaking News:  It is with extreme sadness that the BMS family announce the sudden and unexpected  loss of Rocky Mayer on Friday July 16 in Paonia, Colorado.   Please call Adrian at 805-212-9582 to follow up on any rally orders.  Thank you for all the thoughts and prayers.

I hope, for the sake of the company’s employees, that they will remain in business. 

I spoke with Adrian Mercado, who’s worked side by side with Rocky for several years. Adrian is continuing to build saddles, but he has not yet figured out how to access BMS’s email.

He asks that anyone who’s interested in a saddle call him at 805.212.9582. 

• 2 weeks later...

A few days ago I received the BMS pillion seat, built by Adrian Mercado. As with the front/pilot seat, the quality is excellent. I just sent Adrian a note, asking if he would continue the BMS name, or operate under a different name. I’ll update that info here if I hear back from him.

C845737B-688A-4906-89C5-96BD0C8B381F.jpeg

3 hours ago, Mike said:

A few days ago I received the BMS pillion seat, built by Adrian Mercado. As with the front/pilot seat, the quality is excellent. I just sent Adrian a note, asking if he would continue the BMS name, or operate under a different name. I’ll update that info here if I hear back from him.

I heard back from Adrian, and he will continue on, heading BMS from this point forward.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1