IGNORED

Hot Time in the Summer on an RT1150

Beagles

I have a 2002 RT1150 and its gets pretty warm on it down here in Florida. It actually pulls hot air up from the engine through the space between the fuel tank and the dashboard (where the handle bars are). Doesn't seem to matter whether the windshield is up or down. The normal lack a breeze because the fairing is greatly exacerbated by this inflow of hot air. Any ideas on how to get some additional circulation in the cockpit?

Being from England I feel heat even when you would still have a sweater on grin.gif

When I take my bike touring to the south of France or Spain, I take the screen off when I get to the hotel and leave it there until the return trip. (keep hold of the little rubber washers)

A no-cost option to get much more air into the cockpit, with no buffeting either.

Andy thumbsup.gif

For summer I have a Cee Bailey's mini-shield that puts a lot of air on you! I also wear ear plugs as it's noisy on the highway.

Here in Texas, I ride regularly with temps in the 90's with no problems. I wear wicking undies, MeshTex riding gear and a Shield Safety Cooling vest underneath..... thumbsup.gif

This may sound dumb but here goes. I know on my 1100RT there are 'heater' vents that direct heated air from the oil cooler to just behind the windscreen (nr the speaker mounts) Okay I admit dopeslap.gif I spent my first summer all last year with the air directed at me tongue.gif duh....Are your vents open or closed? ooo.gif

gratefulJED

I took off my very expensive non functioning knee pads in the fairing for a totally air conditioned ride. Have not figured out a replacement for winter though when I imagine I will pay dearly for my ingenuity.

Any ideas on how to get some additional circulation in the cockpit?

It is simple, get more bikes! Tigers are great in the heat, and so are Guzzi's with a small windshield. Of course, for maximum airflow, both volume and velocity, you need to ride a ZRX! clap.gif

Bob

I have a 2002 RT1150 and its gets pretty warm on it down here in Florida. It actually pulls hot air up from the engine through the space between the fuel tank and the dashboard (where the handle bars are). Doesn't seem to matter whether the windshield is up or down. The normal lack a breeze because the fairing is greatly exacerbated by this inflow of hot air. Any ideas on how to get some additional circulation in the cockpit?

Live here in florida as well. not stopping and avoiding cities (or us1 type roads) with stop lights. i do get hot, but to compensate my rides start at 6am and home by 11-12. i also do not attempt to avoid rain! grin.gif

I found that by soaking a t-shirt and then wearing a light wind blocking jacket with the vents zipped open part way allows enough air to circulate through the jacket and cool me down. If you use a mesh jacket the shirt dries out very quickly, but with the vent method the shirt usually stays wet til my next gas stop. The other alternative is air conditioning. Use a small styrofoam cooler that will hold a bag of ice. Get a used 12v fan, cut a hole in the top of the cooler to mount the fan over. Run a 1" hose out the side of the cooler (near the top to prevent water running out). Make sure the hose is long enough to run under your jacket. I run it up my back and over the shoulder. Drill small holes along the length of the hose where it fits under your jacket and cap the end of the hose. Run electric to the fan, throw in a bag of ice and turn the power on. The effective cooling is amazing and a bag of ice lasts a day. thumbsup.gif

Man,

Boy, you guys really like to complicate things....the less "stuff" I have on my bike the better grin.gifgrin.gif

Seriously, if you have never tried a cooling vest, may I suggest you do so!

We have had our Shield Safety vests for several years now and they work really well and last about 2 to 3 hours. All you do then is rehydrate them at any fresh water source for about 30 seconds and then put them on again. These are the same vests supplied to firefighters and other emergency personnel.

thumbsup.gif

This may sound dumb but here goes. I know on my 1100RT there are 'heater' vents that direct heated air from the oil cooler to just behind the windscreen (nr the speaker mounts) Okay I admit dopeslap.gif I spent my first summer all last year with the air directed at me tongue.gif duh....Are your vents open or closed? ooo.gif

Has anybody ever figured out a way to rig the 1150 with deflectors like the 1100????

Riding here in Florida in the summer is a bitch but those beautiful January days... thumbsup.gif The cooling vest don't work well with the humidity but does cool alittle. I put on a smaller screen in the summer. We generally try to ride earlier in the day and in the evenings. More speed helps too! I use a sheep skin on the seat and that really helps.

D

If you are not using the speakers, remove them. It won't give you a lot more air, but it seemed to help the airflow a little when I had my RT out on a hot summer day.

Well it's already running over 100 here in S NV. Thankfully the humidity is around 9%. I'm slowly putting the plastic back on after considerable work and, just today, was thinking about some way to route the hot air from the back of the cooler to somewhere besides the vents.

One vent is closed and the other is missing it's flapper. I'm thinking about removing the vents, retaining the plastic cooler shell, and using some corregated plastic tubing to route the heat near some appropriate exit in the large side panel. I'll post photos if I come up with anything worthwhile.

A few years ago I was riding back to S NV from camping in Great Basin Natl Park (near Ely). I was so hot that I stopped in Alamo NV, parked the bike, left my wallet in it, and jumped into the community "pool" which consisted of a spring in the middle of "town". Forty miles down the road I was dry and clothes were stiff with calcium.

BTW, Phil, where does one buy one of these cooling vests?

Bob

bladerunner

I have built a prototype cooling vest that runs on DC current and will power off of the BMW outlet(s) with plenty of room to spare.

I don't have the money at present to get a patent and my concept comes very close to 2 existing patents so I may not succeed in that respect.

No one excep NASA has one along the lines of what I have built.

And I built it using off-the-shelf parts.

If I can keep from burning out the electric pumps, I can get the prototype to work. Me and electricity have this love/hate relationship.

Stay tuned.

Oh, and I live in California and ride in the 105+ degree weather.

Damned if I can find it on the Internet now!!

Bought mine back in 2003 from Shield Safety Products and they were $69.99.

Now I can't locate them anywhere bncry.gif

Archived