IGNORED

oil: to change or not to change

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

Wife's car got an oil change in September 2019.  Then the pandemic hit, and it got parked.  As of today, the oil only has about 1500 miles on it (mostly highway), and the official recommended change interval is 7500 miles or once per year.  

Should I change the oil?  Seems like a waste with only 1500 miles on it, OTOH it's getting close to 2 years in the crankcase.  WWMHD?

I'd run through with the mileage and take the chances.......but more folks will tell you to change it.

I bought a '73 MGB that had been sitting for several years.  Paid the man, checked fluids, shot starter juice in the stromberg, jumped it off and drove it home (wife followed me if I ran into issues).  I don't know when I actually changed the oil out, but it was several months and miles later.

What does the owner's manual recommend?

Synthetic or conventional oil?

You did not state the mileage on the car, is it high or low?

Newer model, or years old?

How far was it last driven before being parked?

Most manufacturers recommend x,xxx miles or xx months - whichever comes first.   OF course, they will always go a little above and beyond what real world conditions can handle.

If it were me, I would change it - especially if it will go back to being used reguarly, but if it sits, then let it sit.   Crank the motor over periodically and circulate the oil.   The dipstick should show you what it looks/smells like.

2 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

7500 miles or once per year.  

I think the key here is the manufacturer has apparently already taken into account infrequent usage  by specifying either a mileage or time interval.  Coming up on 2 years anyway, so yeah, I'd run it a few miles to get everything back up to temp and then change it.

• Like 1

I would change it. $100 (probably less) for peace of mind. My wife's new car, 2 years old, only has about 5000 miles, it's been changed at least three times already, (maybe 4) including the first at 500 miles which the dealer didn't want to do, 'cuz, 7500 miles.

Even my old truck, which gets about 1200 miles a year, gets changed once a year 

If it's a POS and you don't care, then just run it.

3 hours ago, Hosstage said:

My wife's new car, 2 years old, only has about 5000 miles, it's been changed at least three times already, (maybe 4) including the first at 500 miles which the dealer didn't want to do, 'cuz, 7500 miles.

Even my old truck, which gets about 1200 miles a year, gets changed once a year 

If it's a POS and you don't care, then just run it.

I have done the same on all of my new vehicles. Overkill I know, but,

“it’s my money and I need it now!”

Id vote for start driving it, get the temp up, use the money for entertainment, move on.

Change it.  You will be surprised how difficult it will be to remove the oil filter after 2 years if it was put on real tight.  Oil and filter maybe $50-75.  Engine $4000-$10,000.  I suspect your cam will have corrosion already.  I know it's different but I've taken many airplane engines apart that had little usage and sat for long periods of time e.g. A new engine with 100 hours that sat for 1-2 years.  They all needed new cams.