IGNORED

Motolight Replacement Bulbs?

Laffo IBA#34115

Laffo IBA#34115

I had a failure of a motolight bulb recently and instead of returning said bulb to motolight for a free replacement, I decided to investigate the world of MR16 halogen bulbs. I ordered a GE (ANSI code EZY) 42W 9degree Very Narrow SPot (VNSP) only to discover that this a "Long Life" bulb, meaning the true light color out was not representative of a 42 watt "Color Correct Bulb" but somewhat more yellow. Even more yellow than the Sylvania 35W 8degree VNSP. I am told that Motolight offers a 50W bulb upgrade but have been unable to locate one with an 8degree beam. As it stands, My headlight is a PIAA Xtreme white H7 (4000K) and High beam is a PIAA Xtreme white H3 (4150K). Bottom line...I would like my motolights to be whiter (yes, it sounds juvenile). Has anybody else been toying with this?

I picked up a half dozen 12 degree 50W MR16's on EBAY for about $1.50 each. I tried some 75W bulbs as Motolight also says the harness could handle it, but after only a few hours use, the lens got all chalky colored, which was hard to clean off. So, I dropped back to the 50's.

Seems pretty white and very bright! Bright enough to get me stopped by a local ill informed Deputy Sheriff who said they were so bright he couldn't tell what kind of vehicle I was (in broad daylight). I think he just had a woody for stopping a bike that afternoon. I do have them properly aimed. When I recited the statute to him and suggested we take it up with his patrol supervisor he quickly became officer friendly and started asking questions about the bike (before I even mentioned being President of my class at the police academy...).

I digress.... you should be able to fins some 12 degree 50's, not sure about the 8's.

When I recited the statute to him and suggested we take it up with his patrol supervisor ...

For my own personal, and hopefully never have to use knowledge, what statue is this, and is it a "common" one?

When I recited the statute to him and suggested we take it up with his patrol supervisor ...

For my own personal, and hopefully never have to use knowledge, what statue is this, and is it a "common" one?

I doubt it'll be of much use to you in Ohio, since it's a Maine Statute, but Title 29-a, Chapter 17, §1909-B. Optional auxiliary lighting.

Archived