IGNORED

Side stand kill switch MIA

Trebor

My side stand switch just excused itself. Is this something that can be reconditioned or has points that need to be cleaned? I've got an eye out for it now, but did scrape it once. If the RT were a little lighter, I might have done a pole-vault!

PS. did the search thing and only found posts from people who want to be in my shoes. Just so we're clear, my side stand switch is not available for sale/exchange. wink.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

It is a simple and cheap replacement. If it failed shorted it is just as if it were not there. Simple procedure for working without it first involves removing head from rectal oriface and then following normal good practice and pulling in the clutch prior to engaging the starter. This is normally followed by insuring the side stand is up before riding off, see first step.

DavidEBSmith

No cleaning or fixing, just replace it. It's a semi-PITA job. You have to remove the left side fairing panel, maybe the footpeg plate?, and the sidestand itself, which has big ol springs on it that are hard to get on and off. (Some bike magazine just had an item about a spring removal tool from Cruz Tools or Motion Pro that would help). The switch is behind the sidestand. There's a little trick to getting in in place, but I don't know what the trick is, because I kept poking and prodding any trying and all of a sudden it was in place, at which point I just quickly bolted everything back together before it could disassemble itself.

On edit: it's part no. 61 31 2 306 060 (on the parts fiche under "various switches"), $31 retail, $27.48 at Hammersley, $24.80 at Chicago BMW.

ShovelStrokeEd

Had I taken the minute or so to spell check each and every post at 1 minute per, it would amount to about 109 hours out of my life. I already spend far more time on this site than I should. I apologize for my somewhat cavalier attitude towards spelling, what with failing hand coordination and the fact that spelling was never my strong point anyway, I don't much have a choice.

BTW, I'd love to see which adjective applied before your edit. tongue.gif

there was a bit about "rectal oriface" and your head being unconventionally connected to your nether-regions, but I didn't want to intrude on your rule of the roost, having almost 7000 posts and all. Of course I felt silly when it happened, but it was a system failure that I wasn't prepared for. I hardly even use the damn thing.

Failure noted, point taken. I might have taken it better had the insult been made in person, a bit tired of abuse of anomymity, this poster is.

cheers, nonetheless.

PS. You own a BMW, fork over the $ and get a Mac, you can spell check as you type.

ShovelStrokeEd

Done and done. You can with Safari but I run Firefox on my Powerbook and have never gotten the spell check add-in to work for me.

It was never intended, BTW, as an insult and the only roost I rule is my household. Think of it, rather, as a cautionary point. Rectal/cranial inversions are responsible for far too many close calls and accidents. With your switch malfunctioning, it would be far too easy to attempt to ride off with the sidestand down or to attempt to start the bike while not mounted with the bike in gear. All it takes is a bit of distraction. Late for work, focus on the ride to come rather than the present. Well, you get the idea.

I rarely insult people intentionally. I do use some strong phraseology to help emphasize a point. I confess I missed the pole vault reference and didn't realize you came close to an oopsie. Sorry about that. FWIW, you couldn't have known nor are you alone. My riding career goes back a couple of decades before such switches were mandated and includes a number of examples of similar faux pas. Silliest among them being the time the kick start lever of my '67 Sportster had, without my knowledge, gone up the leg of my bell bottom jeans. My stop at the next traffic signal resulting in a perfect imitation of Artie Johnson's classic tricycle tipover, with the exception of the language used on the way to the ground and for a considerable time thereafter.

I'd replace the switch rather than try to clean/service it. On the other hand, you could jumper the wires and bypass the switch.

Thanks for the part # David; Didn't see it down there. Looks like I'll be popping the springs off on my next service.

thanks all.

My riding career goes back a couple of decades before such switches were mandated and includes a number of examples of similar faux pas. Silliest among them being the time the kick start lever of my '67 Sportster had, without my knowledge, gone up the leg of my bell bottom jeans. My stop at the next traffic signal resulting in a perfect imitation of Artie Johnson's classic tricycle tipover, with the exception of the language used on the way to the ground and for a considerable time thereafter.

Now that's funny. Thanks for the belly-laugh!!

Archived