IGNORED

15W-50 or 5W-40 for RTW?

Rob Nowell

Rob Nowell

Living in So Cal, my dealer gave me 15W-50 motor oil, even though the manual calls for 5W-40.  It's for a 2016 RT.  Thoughts?  Comments?  Suggestions?

alegerlotz

Did you ask them why they gave you something other than what the manual specs?  If so, what was their answer?

I'm guessing laziness is the reason (I think that older air/oil cooled bikes use the heavier weight oil).

2 hours ago, Rob Nowell said:

Living in So Cal, my dealer gave me 15W-50 motor oil, even though the manual calls for 5W-40.  It's for a 2016 RT.  Thoughts?  Comments?  Suggestions?

Afternoon Rob

Comment: _____ I don't see any mention of So. Cal in the riders manual under engine oil specifications so I don't see what that has to do with the recommended oil specification. 

You need to find another dealer with people on staff that are knowledgeable about the BMW motorcycle. 

Take your riders manual (about page 173) AND that oil back to the dealer & ask them to exchange it for the correct motor oil shown in you riders manual, or at least give you a full refund. 

"SAE 5W-40, API SL/JASO MA2, Additives (for instance, molybdenum-based substances) are prohibited, because they would attack the coatings on engine components, BMW Motorrad recommends BMW Motorrad ADVANTEC Ultimate Oil"

• Like 2

Whew, I was nervous this was going to kick off another oil thread of circular discussion in league with some threads on Full Throttle!!!  

Yeah, that oil ain’t right for your motor. 

So, this is what unanimity looks like 😎

14 hours ago, Rob Nowell said:

What do you mean by the dealer giving you that oil?    Did you ask for a specific weight or just stated that you needed oil for a '16 RT?   Just wondering.

Guessing the latter and maybe the counter guy just gave it a quick glance and grabbed the wrong oil from the shelf. (?)    

Thanks.

7 hours ago, Paul De said:

Whew, I was nervous this was going to kick off another oil thread of circular discussion in league with some threads on Full Throttle!!!  

Morning Paul 

I kind of enjoy the oil threads on this site___

Unlike other web sites with pure BS  this site does a pretty darn good job on oil & filter related subjects. 

You just need to breeze through the BS & hearsay entries then  look to  the ones that contain credibility. Our typical oil thread on this site usually evolves into oil sample test results, lots of independent oil spec research (with sources given), oil container label  comparisons, riders manual oil recommendation debate, some BMW dealer quotes that are good for a laugh, & the oil thread usually stays on subject. 

• Smile 2
Rob Nowell

Dealer apologized and will exchange for free.  I should have been more specific, and they should have been more inquisitive.  Thanks for your input, gentlemen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Rob Nowell
20 hours ago, dirtrider said:

I don't see any mention of So. Cal

lol....I was just thinking of the climate