IGNORED

Rear Brake help after bleeding and ABS bleed test

cowchip

I have been performing my two year maintenance on my 2011 R1200RT.  I performed a front and rear brake fluid change and bled the brakes.  I then used my GS911 to perform the ABS bleed test for front and rear.  The front and rear brakes feel great.  However, when I went for a test ride, the rear brake would not stop me.  The rear brake pedal went all the way down and did not stop me.  Performed another ABS test with the GS911 and no faults were shown.  Re-bled the brake and once again without the engine running or with the engine running the brakes work and feel good.  As soon as I am at speed I have no rear brakes. Pads are good.

Open to any and all ideas before I have to have my bike towed to the dealer.

Thanks,

Don

Mar Vista, CA

21 hours ago, cowchip said:

I have been performing my two year maintenance on my 2011 R1200RT.  I performed a front and rear brake fluid change and bled the brakes.  I then used my GS911 to perform the ABS bleed test for front and rear.  The front and rear brakes feel great.  However, when I went for a test ride, the rear brake would not stop me.  The rear brake pedal went all the way down and did not stop me.  Performed another ABS test with the GS911 and no faults were shown.  Re-bled the brake and once again without the engine running or with the engine running the brakes work and feel good.  As soon as I am at speed I have no rear brakes. Pads are good.

Open to any and all ideas before I have to have my bike towed to the dealer.

Thanks,

Don

Mar Vista, CA

Afternoon Don

That is a strange one indeed.

Did you at any time during your brake service run the rear system out of brake fluid? 

Difficult to tell much from here but if no air in the system then it sort of sounds like a possible struck rear crossover valve (this switches rear brake apply from the front-controlled servo pump assist to the rear brake pedal direct hydraulic apply. 

You might try-- Putting the motorcycle on center stand, turning key to on (do not start), then while turning the rear wheel with your foot apply the front brake lever.  This should cause an instant rear wheel lock-up (does it?)

Try it a few times as this might  re-set your rear crossover valve (if that is even the problem).

Thanks for your suggestions.  Never ran the rear dry.  I did try your turning on ignition, turning wheel and applying brakes.  Works.  Rear wheel stopped instantly.  No fade.   Ran the ABS bleed test again for rear and went for a short ride around the neighborhood.  I have brakes again and all is sort of well.  Doesn't seem to stop like before but not loosing brakes.  I tried a few panic stops and the ABS kicked in.  That's good. I will try again tomorrow before I do  the trans oil replacement. 

3 minutes ago, cowchip said:

Thanks for your suggestions.  Never ran the rear dry.  I did try your turning on ignition, turning wheel and applying brakes.  Works.  Rear wheel stopped instantly.  No fade.   Ran the ABS bleed test again for rear and went for a short ride around the neighborhood.  I have brakes again and all is sort of well.  Doesn't seem to stop like before but not loosing brakes.  I tried a few panic stops and the ABS kicked in.  That's good. I will try again tomorrow before I do  the trans oil replacement. 

Afternoon Don

You need to quit running that darn ABS test.

Just ride the bike normally for a little while as the  ABS system on your motorcycle probably needs to re-learn the front rear braking bias after the ABS test.