IGNORED

Riding Mower?

I have had a very trustworthy John Deere riding mower for the last 18 years. It has served me well but unfortunately, the Kohler engine just crossed over, it is no more, it is an ex engine, it has gone to the great mechanical waste site, it is done. I have found a replacement Briggs engine (certified by JD to replace this old one) that will run about $875 (tax shipping etc included). That said, with the age of the machine, I looked and the transmission (should it go next) would cost about $650. So what are your thoughts about replacing these parts or just biting the bullet and purchasing a new machine for around $2k? Is it worth trying to keep this older machine going?

I could just replace the engine and see how long the rest would make it, but is it worth it?

realshelby

There have been some really nice improvements in riding mowers over the last 10 years. I don't want another Briggs engine. But I do like Kohler and Kawasaki. I bought a new Cub Cadet RZT about 3 years ago to replace an aging Cub Cadet zero turn. It goes twice as long on similar amount of fuel with more power. It mows so much better it is hard to believe. Does other things well. A couple things not so good...but there is always a tradeoff. 

What I am getting at is that the "good" mowers are not $2K. $4K and up gets the stuff not sold at Lowes. But it also gets stuff that may hold up longer...and be worth replacing parts on. 

And there is the dilemma. If the frame is good, deck not rusted or needing  a bunch of work, overall the machine is in good order it will be cheaper to get the engine. Worry about the transmission if/when it fails. If a manual shift it may outlast the machine. If hydrostatic...figure about 800 hours as reasonable life. 

I don’t own a lawnmower or any yard tools. Made myself a promise about 20 years ago to just hire it done so I’m not real up on current tech, however 18 years is a long time. What else might be near life limits like wheels/bearings, deck, pulleys, pto, etc. if I were faced with the decision I would buy new and put the worn out one on Craigslist as parts. $2000 over 18 years is just over a $100/ year. You diserve a new mower so your neighbors will be envious

3 hours ago, Sonor said:

I have had a very trustworthy John Deere riding mower for the last 18 years. It has served me well but unfortunately, the Kohler engine just crossed over, it is no more, it is an ex engine, it has gone to the great mechanical waste site, it is done. I have found a replacement Briggs engine (certified by JD to replace this old one) that will run about $875 (tax shipping etc included). That said, with the age of the machine, I looked and the transmission (should it go next) would cost about $650. So what are your thoughts about replacing these parts or just biting the bullet and purchasing a new machine for around $2k? Is it worth trying to keep this older machine going?

I could just replace the engine and see how long the rest would make it, but is it worth it?

Find a used John Deere 318 with the Onan.  You'll spend anywhere from $1500-3500 depending on condition.  Mine was $2200 at a dead guy auction about eight years ago with 2000+ hours on it.  It is still going strong with about 3500hrs on it now.  A little tinker here and there, but overall, I'm good with this one (30+ year old rider).  Plus, you can get many attachments and even a three point hitch.  I currently got a steal of a deal on a front push blade that comes in handy.  Any JD dealer will tell you that the 318 is the residential workhorse of riders and will last forever.  Right now, mines been downgraded to lawn trailer hauling duties as I purchased a 2019 JD 1025R (I needed a loader and backhoe),.....and even if you don't have a huge yard, a 1025r would be good too as just a residential mower (read about it on the Weekend Fun Machines and Green Tractor Talk)  You can find those used for about $10k +/- with just the deck.

2 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

Does HF have a Predator that fits?  If so, I'd try it.  If it doesn't work return it.  Buy the warranty.

https://www.harborfreight.com/engines-generators/gasoline-engines.html

I've read good things about the predator motors and if my Onan on the 318 finally dies, a Predator re-power will be in the works.

2 hours ago, Skywagon said:

I don’t own a lawnmower or any yard tools. Made myself a promise about 20 years ago to just hire it done so I’m not real up on current tech, however 18 years is a long time. What else might be near life limits like wheels/bearings, deck, pulleys, pto, etc. if I were faced with the decision I would buy new and put the worn out one on Craigslist as parts. $2000 over 18 years is just over a $100/ year. You diserve a new mower so your neighbors will be envious

And the Clampett estate speaks :clap:

• Like 2

And here is a fine example of a 1025r.   This one was purchased at an auction that I happened to attend in May.  They were also selling a 1026 as well as many implements/attachments to go with them.  Everything that sold went for more than I was willing to pay, but the stuff was extremely well taken care of.  This tractor has 51 hours on it, the 54" deck, the loader and, and, and, the controls for 3rd function (grapple) $$$ option.  I believe this tractor sold at auction for $11k.   I told the wife, that if bidding had stopped at $8-9k, I'da bought it to re-sell (as did this guy).  It also has the quick hitch on the back.

I was in the same spot this year. Bit the bullet and bought a new one from a JD dealer. Night and day difference. 

My 25 year old Craftsman was running fine when I sold it to a younger guy.  Due to back pain, I was no longer able to get my leg over the shift box area below the steering wheel.  We picked up a new Cub Cadet with the walk through seating.  Had it for a few years now, and it is really nice.  The reverse by second pedal really speeds up the mowing of our yard, and the bagger works pretty well.  Hoping to get as much service out of this one as the last one.

Also, if you consider Husqvarna, Craftsman or Poulon, know that they are essentially the same machine built by American Yard Products.

In anycase, I'd never, ever get another rider that didn't have either cutting brakes or a locking rear differential.  Nothing like being on a slop and that wheel on the upside of the hill just spinning cause it ain't got enough weight on it.

Roug...my guy cost me $1060/year.  Hmm...lets see versus a $20k mower or even a $9k mower you described in an auction, chainsaw, weed eater, rakes hoes, building to store them in, gasoline, oil, yard bags,  maintenance on the machines....Texas heat of 100+ for months.  I'm at worst case break even financially and probably ahead.  He comes rougly twice a month for 9 months( a little more in summer)  when stuff is growing and once a month for 3 months when it isn't. He comes on average 30 times a year.  He use to charge me $1000 payable in 2 equal installments of Jan and June.  He said he needed a $60 raise this year after 15 years so I said ok.

He pulls up in his truck, backs out the mower, son weed eats, other son does edging, and literally 15 minutes (I've timed him several times out of curiosity) then off they go 2 doors down and throughout the neighborhood.  Hardly a clampett deal.  More like a Larry the Cable guy deal.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Roug...my guy cost me $1060/year.  Hmm...lets see versus a $20k mower or even a $9k mower you described in an auction, chainsaw, weed eater, rakes hoes, building to store them in, gasoline, oil, yard bags,  maintenance on the machines....Texas heat of 100+ for months.  I'm at worst case break even financially and probably ahead.  He comes rougly twice a month for 9 months( a little more in summer)  when stuff is growing and once a month for 3 months when it isn't. He comes on average 30 times a year.  He use to charge me $1000 payable in 2 equal installments of Jan and June.  He said he needed a $60 raise this year after 15 years so I said ok.

He pulls up in his truck, backs out the mower, son weed eats, other son does edging, and literally 15 minutes (I've timed him several times out of curiosity) then off they go 2 doors down and throughout the neighborhood.  Hardly a clampett deal.  More like a Larry the Cable guy deal.

Texas heat, blah blah.  Houston ain't that far from where I grew up and it's essentially the same heat.  NC is similar to the climate down there too.  Staying outside acclimating allows me to keep my home thermostat at 77-78 vs many places that run it much lower.  Coming in from being outside all day, 77 is quite cold. 

So, your guy takes 15 minutes on a rider (I'd guess a zero turn), so I'd also guess not a huge yard to cut for the amount of time it takes,....with that, I wouldn't even get a rider, I'd pop for a good push mower and get my walking in.  

I don't weedeat at this house,....I round up.  I do have a weedeater, but I use the edger attachment for the driveway (and the cultivator as needed). 

When we lived in our previous house, it was a 3/4 acre yard.  I'd push the mower (3.7 miles of walking), the wife would do the edges.

This house, I have about 5.5 acres, 3+/- are for the horses, so about 2ish to cut.  Then I also have my daughters property which is 2.7 acres.  Her's sucks to cut since it has obstacles that were previously there that were not thought out of how to cut around when planted.  I generally cut while the dew is still on the grass so as not to create a dust storm.  Oh, and cutting my grass is, to me, like riding a bike, it's "my time",......I'm with my thoughts and tunes.  When I cut both yards on the same day, it's four to six hours of peace and thoughts ;)

• Like 2

I solved the conundrum of lawn maintenance years ago.. Move to a hunk of sand and let nature do it's thing   

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, taylor1 said:

I solved the conundrum of lawn maintenance years ago.. Move to a hunk of sand and let nature do it's thing   

Ain'ta gonna happen, sand and I do not agree!!!

• Like 1

I almost cried when I had to leave my 3yo Cub Cadet at the house I sold (now have postage stamp size yard) Model LT-46 had a 632ml v-twin Kohler (enter Tim the tool man grunts here!) with hydrostatic tranny. Great machine imho.

I must admit that I do miss the lush  ,soft , green lawn we had up in P.A.  Lawn work has never been my thing. The only part that I liked about it was the extra cold beer when through for a job well done  LOL

Sonar - 

Like you, I had a 21+ year old Craftsman tractor that was (in my case) getting long in the tooth. So I decided it was time to retire it and get something new. 

Bought a new JD x370 for about $3600 - more than I wanted to pay but like others have pointed out, the $1K versions are not going to last long. JD told me the 100 series are meant to last 5-7 years and the 300 series are more like 12-15 years. 

I also went for the 370 because it had a better transmission, engine, and I can change the transmission fluid on it myself. In theory, this will help it last longer. 

I will also tell you the updates between my old and new tractor are incredible - this has power steering! Removing the deck is super simple. Much better gas consumption. Quieter. Better grass cutting. Bigger, more comfortable seat. In short, totally worth the upgrade. 

It was a hard decision to make at the time but I'm very happy about it now. Go for it, you won't be disappointed. 

Jim

I have about 1 to 1 1/2 acres to mow. I use my tow behind for mulch, hauling dead trees out, etc. Just curious what do others use their lawn tractors for and how much lawn to whack?

I've used my 318 for cutting all the above acreage as well as pulling a semi-full 6x12 utility trailer of yard waste around.  I also picked up the push blade and removed the snow with it (200+ft driveway), bout six inches or so.  I've used it to push/pull dirt, but its really not designed for that.

The 318 is shaft driven, so no belt to slip or stretch or replace.

I did put these tire belt/chains on the tires, and they provide phenomenal grip.  They stay on year round as I've got slopey ground.  One day, I may fund some Ag tires, but these chains work good enough at less than half the cost of Ag tires.

If I was simply looking for a new garden tractor, I'd lean into the X-series (3, 5, or 7) from Deere.  Something shaft driven, power steering, diff lock or cutting brakes, various attachment capable.

For 1-1.5 acres, I'm tellin ya, the 1025r will do ya good, it is a sub-compact tractor. 

Plenty info here

Thanks everyone for the info, it has been most helpful. Due to Covid or something else (like Briggs and Straton going bankrupt) no one has ride on mowers except the higher priced or Home Depot low priced.  Having been thoroughly warned by many tech's in the area that fix mowers, I stayed well away from the HD (Home Depot, not Harley) mowers. One John Deere dealer had an X350 and an X570 (I believe). So we purchased the 350. More than what I need and wanted to spend but it will last longer than I will.

Thanks again...

• Smile 1

And oh yeah, Richard, not sure what I would do with a 1025R other than have a gas of a time with it. Course my wife and neighbors would think I had gone completely bonkers, even more so than they do now. But i like the way you think. :beer:

Well, you shouldn't be disappointed with the x350.  The dealer JD's are more expensive, but also, in my mind, better built machines.

Someone asked me about why I got a backhoe,....."duh, to dig holes" was my response.  In this foothill county, you can't stick a shovel much past a few inches before you hit a rock!!  My wife has broken two shovels digging holes, so I bought her this one a couple of years ago, she hasn't broken it yet, although, I coulda swore I saw a slight bend..........I got the backhoe!!

1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

In this foothill county

The Piedmont. ;) Learned that word at START. Thanks, DT! :)

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

The Piedmont. ;) Learned that word at START. Thanks, DT! :)

Ya, but that includes the entire central part of the state.  One county south, at my previous house, I never hit a rock.

When I had the flag pole planted up here, the guy coming from Ft Bragg area asked if I would start digging 'cause he knew there be rocks in Stokes county :dontknow:

• Like 1

I live in the Piedmont, not the Piedmont Triade area, just one county to the East of it. We have rocks, but worse than that is the RED CLAY. Ya haven't dug until you dig that stuff. If dry, it is like a rock. If wet, it is the heaviest crap you will ever deal with. But here again, I grew up in the country of Penn and the only thing that really grows there are rocks. 

So Richard, are you in the wine region? I ask because I keep reading about the wine region just never spent the time to look at a map. More of a bourbon guy myself. 

43 minutes ago, Sonor said:

I live in the Piedmont, not the Piedmont Triade area, just one county to the East of it. We have rocks, but worse than that is the RED CLAY. Ya haven't dug until you dig that stuff. If dry, it is like a rock. If wet, it is the heaviest crap you will ever deal with. But here again, I grew up in the country of Penn and the only thing that really grows there are rocks. 

So Richard, are you in the wine region? I ask because I keep reading about the wine region just never spent the time to look at a map. More of a bourbon guy myself. 

My ground is rock and clay (I tell the wife she should start pottery lessons again),.....clay as a top soil(ugh), I poke holes in my lawn a few times a year and now that I'm composting horse manure for free, I'll be top dressing with it to hopefully, aid in making it "gooder".  Kernersville house had sandstone about six inches deep, that sucked to dig in.

From the original realtor ad picture for the house, you can sort make out the 3 feet of rocks that line the perimeter of the house.  I'm quite certain that those rocks were gathered from when the house was built.  There were also two large maples in the very front that had a 12-14 diameter of these rocks around each trunk and the four white oaks had the same thing in the back/side yard.

730661_15_3.jpg

I think the wino's are a bit more to the east of me.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Cub Cadet, JD, Simplicity all are great choices.  They all use hydro static drives from the same manufacturer which tend to be very reliable. Motors are typically from Kohler, or Briggs, sometime Kawasaki (Simplicity now only has Briggs because Briggs owns Simplicity these days).  For the most part Kawi motors are solid across their product range, but I would avoid any units that use Briggs Intek and Kohler Courage as they use bushing bearings in place of ball bearing where they can get away with it. 

Regards

Forrest Gump

John Ranalletta

Had a Toro Z4200.  15 years w/o a problem.  It had the two cylinder Kaw engine.  Don't care for single-cylinder mowers.  I believe John Deere does not make lawn mowers and they might be MTD mowers.  They just have them painted green.

10 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

I believe John Deere does not make lawn mowers and they might be MTD mowers. 

Nah, they still made by Deere.  I think a Deere is still a Deere and have not fallen into the AYP/MTD grouping (craftsman (now Black and Decker/Stanley built), troy-bilt, cadet, bolens----all the same machines)

In 2007, when i returned to the states, a Marine moving gave me his Husqvarna with a Kholer engine (2001 model).  While everything around the motor would need "adjustments" to keep it going, I could not kill that motor and I was trying so I could "excuse" myself into getting another rider.  I ended up giving that Husqvarna away to a guy starting his own grass cutting gig in 2013 'cause I got my dream JD318.  That damn Husq is still going, that Kholer can't be killed off.

Tractordata.com is a good site to get specs on riders, tractors and other ugh, ugh bits of stuff.

Knowing what I know now,....I would never get a belt driven hydrostatic rider again,.....I don't want to be trying to go up a hill and the belt be a'slipping.  Also, I would never get a rider without either a locking rear end or cutting brakes.......told my buddy at work not to buy one without, he did, now he has to deal with side hill cutting and leaning to keep traction going.   And wheelweights or fluid filled tires+++++

My dad bought a Ford garden tractor with a 10 hp Kholer about forty years ago .Used it  for about 25 yrs. then gave it to me. I ran it for another 5 and then sold it for $500.
That motor was as bullet proof as it gets.

I bought a used 2005 JD L130 lawnmower, 48" cut,  400 hrs, all the service receipts at the local shop, all the acc including the pink parasol sunbonnet, used belts, and extra blades, from the mother of a customer for $1200 in 2013.  Found the receipt in the manual, she paid $2,728 at HD in April,  '05.  First thing was to crossover all the JD filters and belts to Fram and Gates.

This JD has the Kohler "Command CV23S" twin cyl that has been flawless, best part of the whole thing.  The only oil it "uses" is when I wipe the dip stick (every time I get it out).  The only "engine problem" I've read about seems to be that the fuel pump gives out eventually. This one has not yet.

It gets used for the 1/3 acre lawn, pulling a little garden trailer with dirt or firewood, and pulling my big utility trailer (way too heavy, really) out of the trees and putting it back.

Two years ago I had to replace the drive belt to the trans and an axle seal.  The transaxle is a #K46 (one of the best #'s) by Tuff Torq in Morristown, TN.  While I had the transaxle out I opened the cases to see how it was doing.  It was a very simple design and in very good shape.  Changed the oil and seal and reassembled it.  Still going strong.  (All of the components NOT made by JD are really good.)

The rest of the mower is not that great.  The undercarrage, steering gear, and mower deck are kinda crappy, design and construction, and does not cut that well even with new spindles, belts, and blades.  The steering gear is particularly crappy.

As with most stuff, I'd rather have a used top quality whatever than a brand new cheapo.  Maybe I should have listened to my own advice.

On 7/10/2021 at 5:50 AM, Rougarou said:

I got my dream JD318

That is indeed a very nice mower.  In collage I worked for a couple of summers at a shop that sold JD mowers and set up a few 316s and 318s for sale.  Never had to do repair work on any 31x series as they went out the door never to be seen again.

Also, if you buy vintage be aware some are lacking in overall safety.   Case in point Simplicity's original Wonder Boy lawn tractor.  

_19571958_Simplicity_Wonder_Boy_575_Mower_5f6105437f07a.jpg.c46c839ba004d2cfb6257dd8eec4151a.jpg

It was a novel concept to have a joy stick to control this mower. Push forward to stop, pull back to go, left and right all in one hand. My father's Wonder Boy nearly killed me on more than one occasion and that is not an exaggeration. If you happened to catch low branches on shrubs or trees it would pin the joystick in the go position.  More than once I found myself about to flip as the unit tried to climb the shrub, or being dragged off the back of the unit because you couldn't stop.  Scary unit to mow lawn with.  Although without the deck, the rear engine configuration made for monster wheelies that would go across the whole yard (when dad wasn't around). It was a death machine to ride!

9 hours ago, Paul De said:

That is indeed a very nice mower.  In collage I worked for a couple of summers at a shop that sold JD mowers and set up a few 316s and 318s for sale.  Never had to do repair work on any 31x series as they went out the door never to be seen again.

She's old, plenty hours, and I doubt that Onan has ever been rebuilt.  Right now, she's pushed to trailer duty, pulling yard trailers around full of stuff.  When it gets hot, it shuts down, so I'm a thinking I gotta pull the motor and replace the ignition module (likely culprit), but it may just be the circuit breaker that gets hot shuts it down.  One of these days, I'll get round to doing that, but since I don't mow with it anymore, there's no hurry to keep it running for hours on end.  The 1025r does all that now.

9 hours ago, Paul De said:

Also, if you buy vintage be aware some are lacking in overall safety.   Case in point Simplicity's original Wonder Boy lawn tractor.  

_19571958_Simplicity_Wonder_Boy_575_Mower_5f6105437f07a.jpg.c46c839ba004d2cfb6257dd8eec4151a.jpg

It was a novel concept to have a joy stick to control this mower. Push forward to stop, pull back to go, left and right all in one hand. My father's Wonder Boy nearly killed me on more than one occasion and that is not an exaggeration. If you happened to catch low branches on shrubs or trees it would pin the joystick in the go position.  More than once I found myself about to flip as the unit tried to climb the shrub, or being dragged off the back of the unit because you couldn't stop.  Scary unit to mow lawn with.  Although without the deck, the rear engine configuration made for monster wheelies that would go across the whole yard (when dad wasn't around). It was a death machine to ride!

My daughters yard has some low slung apple trees that I have to massage around to get the grass cut (need to do leaf mulch to the drip line).  Anyway, I can easily see those branches catching that joy stick,,........as well as the damn willow oaks ugh!!!