IGNORED

911 Seems to Work

Rougarou

This morning, as usual, I set my iphone in the RAM x-mount, but failed to put it in the "sweet" spot so as not to be clamped on the buttons.

During the secondary roads portion of my morning commute, I see the phone getting flashed on and off due to the not so smooth roads.  After a few of these, I notice the phone displays the SOS message and starts dialing,...."uh-oh".  I couldn't pull over in time to stop the dialing, so I got to disturb a nice 911 operator and 'splain that my phone did this by mistake.   After the hang up, the phone then displays that it wants to send a message to my emergency contacts,......that'll went over well on a fine Monday morning,....so I canceled that one.

So for those that don't know, depending on which iphone you have, the SOS can be triggered by either holding the side button and volume button or pressing the side button five times quickly,..... I dunno about the androids.

image.png.e096b51d4e4ee3d2b18399d7a8056f02.png

Moral to the story, if'n you are using the X-clamp, put your phone in the sweet spot,.......this is a first for me.

John Ranalletta
2 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

This morning, as usual, I set my iphone in the RAM x-mount, but failed to put it in the "sweet" spot so as not to be clamped on the buttons.

During the secondary roads portion of my morning commute, I see the phone getting flashed on and off due to the not so smooth roads.  After a few of these, I notice the phone displays the SOS message and starts dialing,...."uh-oh".  I couldn't pull over in time to stop the dialing, so I got to disturb a nice 911 operator and 'splain that my phone did this by mistake.   After the hang up, the phone then displays that it wants to send a message to my emergency contacts,......that'll went over well on a fine Monday morning,....so I canceled that one.

So for those that don't know, depending on which iphone you have, the SOS can be triggered by either holding the side button and volume button or pressing the side button five times quickly,..... I dunno about the androids.

image.png.e096b51d4e4ee3d2b18399d7a8056f02.png

Moral to the story, if'n you are using the X-clamp, put your phone in the sweet spot,.......this is a first for me.

The same key combo (volume/on-off) creates a photo of the screen...duh!  Hold them too long, and the SOS screen appears.

Bill_Walker

Note also that you can turn this feature off if you don't feel like you need it.

And BTW, the Apple Watch also has this feature.  Hold the side button long enough (with default settings), and it will call 911 and send an emergency message to your emergency contacts.  It turns out it's really easy to do this if you're wearing ski gloves and lean just right on your ski pole while you're stopped.  DAMHIK.

My iPhone froze up the other day for no apparent reason. Pressing all the buttons to try and unfreeze it the darn thing called 911 on me. :classic_blush: I had to explain that I was perfectly safe sitting on my couch and it was the malfunctioning phone that triggered the call.

• Smile 1

AFAIK all cell phone 911 calls go to the state police and they then transfer you to the town which you’re in. Funny though, the guy asking questions had a pretty heavy British accent. Thought I was being punk’d for a second. :classic_biggrin:

• Smile 1

I was glad to learn of one mistake I had not found yet.  "Learn something new every day."  Got that over with early.

image.png.69cb52babb0c2bc0a542378b2b5b1597.png

• 5 weeks later...

I had the exact same experience last year…placed the phone in my X-Mount, and the first time I hit a bump, it went into emergency mode. My wife and son also receive these notifications, so by the time I stopped the RT and pulled the phone out of the mount, I was getting calls from the two of them, as well as the county sheriff’s dispatcher. 

This prompted me to switch to a Quad Lock mount, which I think is a better product overall…more secure, wireless charging capable, and no unintended 911 calls. 

LOL!!  I warned someone about that in the Oilhead section!  Same thing happened to me when I put my phone in the X-Mount.  Luckily I cancelled the call with 1 second to spare.