IGNORED

Steering Damper R1100R

Paddler

It's leaking, and hasn't provided any discernible damping in a long time.  A new one is $400??  Can it be rebuilt, or should I just take it off and forget about it? 

15 hours ago, Paddler said:

It's leaking, and hasn't provided any discernible damping in a long time.  A new one is $400??  Can it be rebuilt, or should I just take it off and forget about it? 

Morning  Paddler

I have heard of riders re-sealing them then re-filling with hydraulic jack oil. I haven't done an 1100R (that I can remember anyhow). I might have some old notes out in my shop (nothing in electronic form) if I run across them I will post it here.  If I recall the seal is an odd size & high pressure so the hard part will probably be in sourcing the new seal. 

You can ride that 1100R without  a steering damper right up to the point that it goes into a wobble & tries to toss you off. Seldom if ever does it happen but when it does it will REALLY get your attention (BMW doesn't add parts if it doesn't have to so that damper is there for a reason).  

Just be careful in taking your hands off the handlebars as that is when it can bite you. 

Just for information, years ago I had a different brand motorcycle & the steering stabilizer started leaking, I removed the seal & it looked, OK not torn or worn, so I refilled the stabilizer with hydraulic jack oil with some power steering stop leak added (basically seal  conditioner) & it stopped leaking. 

Yes, I've been riding it for a few years with a non-damping damper.  We don't ride fast so I think the risk of a high-speed wobble is low, but I'd like to rebuild it if possible.  Just don't want to spend $400 for a $20 part.  Maybe I'll try that stop leak stuff.

I tried "stop leak" in my damper. No joy, just more leaks. I tried to find seals for the damper as well. No joy there either. I did a lot of internet searching to no avail. 

Euro businesses didn't stock the seal any longer or wouldn't sell to a non biz entity.

That said, I never had a speed wobble but truthfully don't break the ton. I'm old.

I'd start looking for an aftermarket damper that could be adapted if you can't find seals.

One would think a seal would be easy to find: Last lead I had was a UK concern Dichtomatik. Not sure if I contacted them.

10mm x 20mm x 7.5mm  (NAK brand) is what my research told me the size is. Good luck.

Dave

King Herald

Mine was a rattling relic when I bought the bike, so I took it off. In the 40,000 miles I've done since then I've never felt it was needed.

• 1 year later...

Hi... May be a bit late as you posted that in 2021....

Seen this video...

I have done it on mine...  and was ok to do.

Good luck

King Herald
On 6/7/2021 at 3:28 PM, Paddler said:

Yes, I've been riding it for a few years with a non-damping damper.  We don't ride fast so I think the risk of a high-speed wobble is low, but I'd like to rebuild it if possible.  Just don't want to spend $400 for a $20 part.  Maybe I'll try that stop leak stuff.

I think BMW were covering all bases when they fitted the steering damper, from small single riders canyon carving, to two full grown adults with loads of luggage, and everything in between. Mine was totally worn out, rattling loose, so I took it off. That was 50,000 miles ago and I've never had any sort of a tank slapper. That's just my experience, but I'm not a hard and fast rider.