IGNORED

R1100RT skip/hesitates on accelerating

Walter Tifental

Walter Tifental

I have a 1996 R1100RT with only 66K on the clock. I’ve been touring around the country off and on for 6 years and the bike is parked for a year at a time in different  storage units around the country. I’m away from my tools and most my repairs are in parking lots or at dealers. 

Here is my problem the bike skips/hesitates (feels like slipping clutch or grease spot on road) on heavy acceleration. Passing on a hill at 3-5K RPM, or punching it out of a curve. The hard part of the diagnoses is it’s inconsistent, i.e I can’t re-creat it. I have: new plugs, new clutch, new fuel filter, always use 90 octane. 

Any idea what I can check or do to figure this out?  

11 minutes ago, Walter Tifental said:

I have a 1996 R1100RT with only 66K on the clock. I’ve been touring around the country off and on for 6 years and the bike is parked for a year at a time in different  storage units around the country. I’m away from my tools and most my repairs are in parking lots or at dealers. 

Here is my problem the bike skips/hesitates (feels like slipping clutch or grease spot on road) on heavy acceleration. Passing on a hill at 3-5K RPM, or punching it out of a curve. The hard part of the diagnoses is it’s inconsistent, i.e I can’t re-creat it. I have: new plugs, new clutch, new fuel filter, always use 90 octane. 

Any idea what I can check or do to figure this out?  

Afternoon   Walter 

It sounds like the transmission might be jumping out then back into gear ( not unheard of on the BMW 1100 5 speeds).

Does it usually only happen in 2nd or 3rd gear?  If so then is it always the same gear? 

Give us some more (or better more specific)  information & we can probably get closer to your problem. 

Walter Tifental

No only happens in 3rd and 4th gear. Engine revs don’t drop much. The hesitation is only for a micro- second. On acceleration the RPM ramps up fast, skips, and continues to ramp up. It’s so inconsistent, and quick I don’t have time to see the tac.  

11 minutes ago, Walter Tifental said:

No only happens in 3rd and 4th gear. Engine revs don’t drop much. The hesitation is only for a micro- second. On acceleration the RPM ramps up fast, skips, and continues to ramp up. It’s so inconsistent, and quick I don’t have time to see the tac.  

Afternoon   Walter 

If it only happens in those 2 gears then it still sounds like the transmission is jumping out then quickly back into engagement. If it was engine related then you would think it could happen in any gear not just 3rd & 4th.

Unfortunately I can't ride it to verify that.

You might try holding it in gear with your foot on the shift lever during times that you think it will act up to see if that stops the skipping.  

Does it happen only after a downshift then acceleration or does it happen after both an upshift or a downshift?

Walter Tifental

I have not noticed it on a down shift? I’ll take it on another test run.

If I hold my foot on the shifter will I feel the gear slip?

9 minutes ago, Walter Tifental said:

I have not noticed it on a down shift? I’ll take it on another test run.

If I hold my foot on the shifter will I feel the gear slip?

Afternoon   Walter 

You might feel it in the foot shifter but if you hold it then it might not slip out of gear to begin with. 

Walter Tifental

Ok I’ll give it a try. Thanks for the head up. I’ve been thinking it’s injector or spark.

16 minutes ago, Walter Tifental said:

Ok I’ll give it a try. Thanks for the head up. I’ve been thinking it’s injector or spark.

Afternoon   Walter 

Don't write anything off just yet but if it was spark or fuel then logic says would probably act up in more the just those 2 gears & also on a downshift acceleration.  

One thing that you might do is drain your transmission gear oil into a clean pan,   if the oil is an iridescent or sparkling golden color when you drain it then you  can be pretty sure that you have a transmission problem.

Walter Tifental

I was just thinking about that (draining the trans)  Life on the road means lots of Napa disposable drain pans and funnels. I leave drain pans all over the country, every 4K miles oil change. 

thanks for the help. I’m in New Mexico heading for San Jose CA. 

It typically starts with a skip after a downshift form 4th to 3rd, then heavy acceleration. It eventually happens on upshifts to 3rd, and eventually migrates to other gears. The fix is to buy an M97 transmission from a '97 or later bike.

2 hours ago, Walter Tifental said:

Is the M97 from a newer year a direct bolt on. 

Yep. The change from M94 to M97 happened in early 97, so you might want to look for a '98-'00 to be sure you get an M97. I'm pretty sure a transmission from a GS, R, RT, or RS will work.

Walter Tifental

Thanks for the information. I am having some difficulty getting a 13mm socket to drain the tranny. Socket set is a bit cumbersome on the bike. Soon as I narrow the issue to the tranny, I’ll start thinking about the repair/replace/salvage yard options. I’ll be in San Jose CA, any recommendation for a salvage yard?

Walter Tifental

Finally found a 13mm socket and drained the tranny. It’s a glittery nightmare. Case is closed, used m97 replacement, new bike, or drop it off at a salvage yard. Hope it can make it to San Jose?

6 hours ago, Walter Tifental said:

Finally found a 13mm socket and drained the tranny. It’s a glittery nightmare. Case is closed, used m97 replacement, new bike, or drop it off at a salvage yard. Hope it can make it to San Jose?

Afternoon Walter

Those 5 speed  transmissions can go farther than you would think if you use caution to not do what it takes to get them to jump out of gear.   A rider can usually figure out how to lightly ride around what causes the gear jumping.

All that glittery nightmare in your transmission is usually shift fork wear particles so it isn't going to get any better but you might be able to nurse it along for a while yet.