IGNORED

Wadda ya call that stuff?

WRP

That stuff one applies on the head of a screw to keep it there. Not really thread locker , much lighter duty. For instance, when reassembling my front master cylinder, the manual directs me to apply "paint"  (interior, exterior, latex?) to hold the lever pivot bolt in place (there was some red stuff on it originally). There must be a product out there, if I knew what to call it.

6 minutes ago, WRP said:

That stuff one applies on the head of a screw to keep it there. Not really thread locker , much lighter duty. For instance, when reassembling my front master cylinder, the manual directs me to apply "paint"  (interior, exterior, latex?) to hold the lever pivot bolt in place (there was some red stuff on it originally). There must be a product out there, if I knew what to call it.

Afternoon WRP

Purple (222) LockTite is very light duty but still holds pretty good on small light duty screws,  a little fingernail polish on the last couple of threads also makes a light duty thread locker  (I sometimes use this on firearm smaller screws).

Even things like pipe or fitting thread sealant makes a nice light duty thread locker. 

Maybe you are talking about tamper detection laquer - a common brand is Dykem.  Not necessarily used for fastener locking, but more as an indicator that the screw/nut has been disturbed from it's original torqued-down position.  Usually painted on the head, or outside body of the fastener, not the threads.