IGNORED

Why didn't anyone tell me ......

Dave334478

Dave334478

Why didn't anyone tell me your supposed to fill the gas tank from the right side?

You'd think this basic information would be right on the sticker by the filler cap that tells me to use 'super' grade gasoline.

FFS! I live in the US, we drive on the right side of the road and the gas caps on our cars are on the left. So I was naturally pulling my bike into the gas station with the pump on the left. I always had to hold the 'vapor recovery tube' on the nozzle back with my hand because the filler tube wouldn't go far enough into the tank.

Today, the gas light came on after only 150 miles on a full tank so I decided to peek inside the tank with a flashlight. To my suprise, I find a labyrinth of baffles inside there that made it obvious that I, and the owner before me, have been filling the bike from the wrong side all along. There's a spot where all the paint has been scratched off were the end of the nozzle hits the baffle when you insert it from the wrong side.

So when I went to fill it up today, I pulled up to the other side of the pump and to my suprise, and dismay, the nozzle locked right in place like it is supposed to! /facepalm

Cat w.o meds.jpg

Dave334478

Sitting, standing, bike leaning or not, that's all irrelevant. 

The fuel nozzle won't go far enough into the tank on my 1997 R1100r-ABS  to allow the gas pump to pump gas unless it is inserted perpendicual to the bike from the right side. (I've been holding back the vapor recover sleeve with my other hand all this time so the pump would pump gas)

This is what I see, sitting on the bike, looking into the tank.

FYI: Where I live, all gas pump nozzles look like this  Capture.JPG

IMG_20210605_165045573.thumb.jpg.fee5b405d128ac105f9d322fa64f5789.jpg

• Thanks 1
szurszewski
6 hours ago, Dave334478 said:

I live in the US, we drive on the right side of the road and the gas caps on our cars are on the left.

The filler tube for your cars may be on the left, but that’s definitely not universal. Both our cars fill from the right - one is domestic and one is foreign. 

18 hours ago, szurszewski said:

The filler tube for your cars may be on the left, but that’s definitely not universal. Both our cars fill from the right - one is domestic and one is foreign. 

Afternoon szurszewski

On cars with single exhaust tail pipes they usually set the re-fueling side to be opposite the exhaust outlet.  On cars with dual tail pipes (one on each side) they typically set the re-fueling side to be the same as the cars in the same model line with single tail pipes. 

OK ... have to say ... I've been on BMW's since 2000 and have owned 1150 oil head, 1200 hexhead, 1200 camhead and now 2 warheads and have never heard this right side thing.   In fact having had a tip over at a gas station many years ago filling on the right where the bike tipped into the pump and I needed help to right it I ALWAYS fill from left side now so that I am standing between the bike and pump.  Also,  i am always off he bike and take my time.  I am never in a rush getting gas so never sit on the bike.  But that is just me and YMMV. 

• Like 1

I always sit on my bike with the bike on the side stand. Pump nozzle hanging over the left side.. Never had an issue filling it this way or any previous bikes this way.

and did you know that for many years in cars and trucks, the gas gauge will point to the side to fill.....learned that many years ago on rental cars.  There is a little arrow or other symbol that points.

roadscholar

Porsche’s (LHD) have always had the fuel filler on the right, BMW’s and MB’s from the 70’s on have it there too pretty sure.. with the exception of the 1st gen 98-05 ML series which are made in Alabama. Any American cars or trucks I've had (none late model) it was on the driver's side. One thing I always thought interesting and possibly dangerous, as I recall the older gen Chevy vans (70's-90's) had the exhaust pipe exit almost directly beneath the fuel filler at the left rear corner, fortunately never had a problem though. 

MontanaMark

After a year of owning my G650GS, I'm still having trouble remembering to pull up to the pump on my right side.  OOPS!  Dang, gotta drag the hose across the seat again!!!

:4317:

Cheers,

Mark

• Haha 1
On 6/5/2021 at 4:27 PM, Rougarou said:

I sit on the bikes while filling, dont know about any baffles

Really?  You have to get off to run your card or run into the building to pay.  Why risk getting a crotch full of premium?

I get off and put my RT on the center stand.  I think I get more fuel in the tank that way.  

• Like 2

I have to agree, I am not a fan of sitting on the bike while fueling. Too much potential for danger and injury.

5 hours ago, Red said:

Really?  You have to get off to run your card or run into the building to pay.  Why risk getting a crotch full of premium?

I get off and put my RT on the center stand.  I think I get more fuel in the tank that way.  

Nope, I don't have to get off to swipe the card, just reach in my pocket (my wallet is always in my front pocket or if I'm wearing the aerostich and know I need to fuel up, the wallet goes in the arm pocket, either way, I can get to it without getting off the bike), pull a card out, swipe, fill up.  I've never had an issue and I don't see where any "danger" lies by staying on the bike vs getting off the bike.  If you are paying attention, you will never get a crotch of fuel.   I keep the bike straight up during fuelling.

• Like 2
  • Smile 1

The danger is spilled fuel, it has the potential to light when hitting hot engine parts. And skin burn from spilled fuel. I have had the nozzle drop fuel out of the nozzle before it was all the way into the tank, spilled a bit on the tank, or if lucky, on the ground. If flames start, I want to be able to get away as fast as possible.

I know, nobody has ever had any problems sitting on their bike and fueling. I'm still not taking the chance.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

The danger is spilled fuel, it has the potential to light when hitting hot engine parts. And skin burn from spilled fuel. I have had the nozzle drop fuel out of the nozzle before it was all the way into the tank, spilled a bit on the tank, or if lucky, on the ground. If flames start, I want to be able to get away as fast as possible.

I know, nobody has ever had any problems sitting on their bike and fueling. I'm still not taking the chance.

Morning Hosstage

Actually spilling gasoline on a hot engine is usually not as dangerous as people think. Upon the gasoline hitting a hot engine it usually evaporates before it ignites (gasoline is basically designed to require a spark or flame to ignite).

Actually diesel fuel or antifreeze is much more likely to ignite on a hot engine as it stays in place until ignition. 

But as you say  "I'm still not taking the chance"_____

21 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

I've yet to have fuel come out of the top of a motorcycle as I watch when I'm filling and don't use the automatic lock.......I'll take the chance.  When I fuel, I keep the nozzle tipped up until it's at the tank, I too have had nozzles that have had a bit left in them drip, so I made it a habit to keep the nozzle tipped up before inserting and give it a "shake"  before extracting.

2 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Hosstage

Actually spilling gasoline on a hot engine is usually not as dangerous as people think. Upon the gasoline hitting a hot engine it usually evaporates before it ignites (gasoline is basically designed to require a spark or flame to ignite).

Actually diesel fuel or antifreeze is much more likely to ignite on a hot engine as it stays in place until ignition. 

But as you say  "I'm still not taking the chance"_____

Yep, as many times as I've overfilled a hot lawnmower, I've yet to burst it in flames.   On the wife's superduty some years back, the fuel filter was not properly aligned, thus spewed diesel all under the hood and puddled on the top of the engine, wasn't for several hundred miles that we realized this fiasco and I readjusted the fuel filter,.........called the shop that did the work to biatch them out about it........I hate having other people do simple work.

John Ranalletta
22 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

I've yet to have fuel come out of the top of a motorcycle as I watch when I'm filling and don't use the automatic lock.......I'll take the chance.  When I fuel, I keep the nozzle tipped up until it's at the tank, I too have had nozzles that have had a bit left in them drip, so I made it a habit to keep the nozzle tipped up before inserting and give it a "shake"  before extracting.

Yep, as many times as I've overfilled a hot lawnmower, I've yet to burst it in flames.   On the wife's superduty some years back, the fuel filter was not properly aligned, thus spewed diesel all under the hood and puddled on the top of the engine, wasn't for several hundred miles that we realized this fiasco and I readjusted the fuel filter,.........called the shop that did the work to biatch them out about it........I hate having other people do simple work.

Had the nozzle shut off fail while doing an on-bike fill on the Multistrada.  No flames but soaked the bike and me in gasoline.  Scared moment.

In the film, Ewen/Charlie adventure, McGregor had fuel splash back into his eyes that almost ended their trip.  Since watching that, I still fuel while onboard but never use the auto shutoff and always place free hand around the nozzle and leave my face shield down.

Morning__ 

I just can't understand filling while sitting on the motorcycle, at my age NEVER pass up a chance to get off the motorcycle &  pee! (my mileage never varies in that regard). 

Plus it is pretty darn difficult to fuel my 800GS while sitting on it (unless I turn around & sit backwards).

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
12 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning__ 

I just can't understand filling while sitting on the motorcycle, at my age NEVER pass up a chance to get off the motorcycle &  pee! (my mileage never varies in that regard). 

Plus it is pretty darn difficult to fuel my 800GS while sitting on it (unless I turn around & sit backwards).

I don't even get up in the middle of the night to pee,....strong bladder;)

You guys have all read your bike's users manual right? You all know that we're supposed to place the bike on its center stand before refueling?

I never do but hey, it's nice to know. :classic_tongue:

ps. All my cars have had the fuel cap on the right hand side. 

The only gas that I spill is a small amount that splashes around the filler and gets on the tank.   Ugh! Then I have to get something to wipe it down!  :ohboy:

I never worry about getting any on the motor, but.........

Baffles??  That's the frame tunnel you're bumping the nozzle on.  If there are any baffles in newer bikes they surely have pass- thru's top and bottom and should not prevent filling.  There are some smaller vent and overflow tubes, maybe some floats on wire arms in my old tanks but no baffles.  Used to be that frame tunnel would separate the last quart or two as a reserve, hence the petcock on each side and a crossover tube.  Airhead vintage stuff.

Could you have a stopped up crossover tube not letting you drain the other side??

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Lowndes said:

Baffles??  That's the frame tunnel you're bumping the nozzle on.  If there are any baffles in newer bikes they surely have pass- thru's top and bottom and should not prevent filling.  There are some smaller vent and overflow tubes, maybe some floats on wire arms in my old tanks but no baffles.  Used to be that frame tunnel would separate the last quart or two as a reserve, hence the petcock on each side and a crossover tube.  Airhead vintage stuff.

Could you have a stopped up crossover tube not letting you drain the other side??

Morning Lowndes

No crossover tube on the OP's 1100R motorcycle. The closet thing BMW used for a crossover tube in fuel injected Boxer  bikes is some BMW GS bikes (large deep tank wings)  used a jet type pump in the off-side to transfer fuel back over to the primary fuel pick-up side.     

• Thanks 1
szurszewski
On 6/6/2021 at 11:23 PM, Red said:

How does having the bike on the center stand get more fuel in the tank than having the bike upright with someone sitting on it?

szurszewski
7 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Lowndes

No crossover tube on the OP's 1100R motorcycle. The closet thing BMW used for a crossover tube in fuel injected Boxer  bikes is some BMW GS bikes (large deep tank wings)  used a jet type pump in the off-side to transfer fuel back over to the primary fuel pick-up side.     

The R1100Ss have tube that runs from one lobe of the tank to the other, in a horizontal U shape, passing just in front of the front portion of the saddle. It’s fuel hose and I assumed it was a crossover (I feel like I’ve even disconnected one end from the barbed fitting on the tank to drain fuel) - is it something else?

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, szurszewski said:

The R1100Ss have tube that runs from one lobe of the tank to the other, in a horizontal U shape, passing just in front of the front portion of the saddle. It’s fuel hose and I assumed it was a crossover (I feel like I’ve even disconnected one end from the barbed fitting on the tank to drain fuel) - is it something else?

Afternoon  szurszewski

Yes, I forgot about that one, those old S bikes have those deep tank wings so that is a crossover hose. 

• Thanks 1

In Mexico, the attendants pump the gas. They are always extremely careful not to spill any. I never get off the bike before getting gas. Sometimes I will move the bike to a parking spot and take a break, but I always stay on it at the pump.

9 hours ago, szurszewski said:

How does having the bike on the center stand get more fuel in the tank than having the bike upright with someone sitting on it?

Same way you can get more water into a cup if the rim is level.  I could be wrong.  :5147:

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Red said:

Same way you can get more water into a cup if the rim is level.  I could be wrong.  :5147:

Honestly it’s such a small difference I don’t bother with the center stand at gas pumps.  They are usually greasy areas and putting it up on the center stand just adds more risk.  But that’s just me.

• Like 1

No crossover tube on my 1998 R1100R.  I always use to put my bike on the center stand for refueling, but it doesn't seem like it makes much difference.  However, the old bike leans over much more than the new RS, so that may make more of a difference.  It has always seemed to me that the 1998's center stand is a bit too short, while the 2020 RS is a bit too long.  I'm careful about any crown on the road while parking on the RS.

On 6/5/2021 at 8:00 PM, Dave334478 said:

Sitting, standing, bike leaning or not, that's all irrelevant. 

The fuel nozzle won't go far enough into the tank on my 1997 R1100r-ABS  to allow the gas pump to pump gas unless it is inserted perpendicual to the bike from the right side. (I've been holding back the vapor recover sleeve with my other hand all this time so the pump would pump gas)

This is what I see, sitting on the bike, looking into the tank.

FYI: Where I live, all gas pump nozzles look like this  Capture.JPG

IMG_20210605_165045573.thumb.jpg.fee5b405d128ac105f9d322fa64f5789.jpg

Looking at that pump handle, it is not the bike but the fact you need to hold that surrounding rubber back with your other hand to fill the bike. I have not seen one of those 'emission' hoses for years in the Northeast. But I do remember I had to manually pull the hose back to get the filler far enough into the tank. There is something in that evaporative surround that needs to go back x mm for the pump to continue running. Same effect is you need to fill a gas can. You need to push the nozzle in far enough to push back the surround. Thus only partially filling a gas can.

szurszewski
12 hours ago, Red said:

That makes sense if you’re comparing to filling on the sidestand, but I don’t see how the centerstand would make the bike more level than me standing astride it. In fact, if the ground is sloped, the centerstand would just emulate that, where a rider could adjust to true level. 

What are people doing that would result in a fuel spill?  Pay attention to what you're doing.

And where are you going that another 1/4 cup of gas is gonna make or break your trip?

4 hours ago, elkroeger said:

What are people doing that would result in a fuel spill?  Pay attention to what you're doing.

Things happen. I'm a first hand witness. A friend of mine turned on the pump and the handle was stuck on, shot gas everywhere, scary as hell. Soaked his bike, him, and a friend that was with us on a bike near him as he tried to swing it out of the way. That could have gone real bad real fast. As it was, both friends got some fuel burns from the clothes as they rode home to change.

I've also seen people have overfill issues and have it spill out.

Besides, I don't want to have to deal with balancing the bike while fighting the hose and paying with the card.

Nope, won't sit on a bike while fueling.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Things happen. I'm a first hand witness. A friend of mine turned on the pump and the handle was stuck on, shot gas everywhere, scary as hell. Soaked his bike, him, and a friend that was with us on a bike near him as he tried to swing it out of the way. That could have gone real bad real fast. As it was, both friends got some fuel burns from the clothes as they rode home to change.

I've also seen people have overfill issues and have it spill out.

Besides, I don't want to have to deal with balancing the bike while fighting the hose and paying with the card.

Nope, won't sit on a bike while fueling.

You've also seen car accidents, yet you still drive.  You've likely seen or know about motorcycle accidents, yet still ride. 

My 30" inseam, I have no problem holding the bike/s up and paying,.......either sliding the card in or the preferred proximity reader.

The nozzle doesn't face me when I chose the grade, its already inserted, so the chances of it being "on" are quite remote and if it starts as soon as I select the grade, it's already in the tank and I watch it fill. 

'bout three minutes from the time I stop to the time I leave.......depending on pump speed.

12 hours ago, Rougarou said:

You've also seen car accidents, yet you still drive.  You've likely seen or know about motorcycle accidents, yet still ride. 

Indeed. Understand and assess the risk, then (to spin a phrase) fill your own fill.

I am only grateful that I don't lead a life so pressurised that saving three minutes on a fuel stop matters.

I like to get off the bike, fill it up & walk to the cashier, where I may buy a drink, & take a few minutes to chill out before riding off.

• Like 4
szurszewski
48 minutes ago, Martyn said:

I am only grateful that I don't lead a life so pressurised that saving three minutes on a fuel stop matters.

I like to get off the bike, fill it up & walk to the cashier, where I may buy a drink, & take a few minutes to chill out before riding off.

On a trip, sure, but filling up on the way to/from work, or stopping to top off in the morning at the start of the ride, I’m ready to be moving on. It’s not really that it takes longer to dismount and fuel up, but rather that I don’t see any need to. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Martyn said:

I'm never pressured for time, I just like to do what I need to do in an efficient and timely manner.  No sense wasting daylight walking around a fuel farm, afterall, it might blow up if someone spills gas on a hot engine;).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 6/9/2021 at 4:14 PM, szurszewski said:

Thanks, Szurszewski.

I was almost certain my R11S had that tube but couldn't find any pics and was NOT going to dispute Dirtrider!!  Even the Clymer doesn't show it or mention it.

King Herald
On 6/9/2021 at 2:43 AM, Lowndes said:

I stop whichever side of the pump is available , bike usually on the side stand, point the filler in and to the left of the tank because of the steel bit that directs it that way.

I can't possibly see how anybody could ever be on the wrong side of the bike, or the pump, to put fuel in. :5146:

• Like 1
szurszewski
3 hours ago, Lowndes said:

Thanks, Szurszewski.

I was almost certain my R11S had that tube but couldn't find any pics and was NOT going to dispute Dirtrider!!  Even the Clymer doesn't show it or mention it.

The tiny number of relevant facts in my head is, I imagine, far easier to file and recall than the number in his head. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 6/20/2021 at 5:42 PM, TEWKS said:

tenor.gif?itemid=3371069

image.thumb.jpeg.8405066c9a09ce404177be28c7b1022e.jpeg

:classic_biggrin:

Hmmm,.......two minutes of filling up (RT was under zero by 'bout 25 miles).  No sidestand, no centerstand, just sittin' on the bike, doing my bidness......in and out under three minutes.

• Smile 1

No boom? :dontknow: :classic_biggrin: 

Clarity for the previous joke.

Everybody has their own ideas on the amount of safety they wish to live with and I’m not knocking anyone for it. I don’t think Richard is either. 

On 6/9/2021 at 4:14 PM, szurszewski said:

FOUND IT!!

ACtC-3fQ_jN12jERLkf8ipOOjgqr7UWrPisshq8a

The rear end of the tank was propped up with a pair of pliars while I checked the battery.  The crossover tube is visible here: image.png.d5e3bfb35eff611d3a80456af06ad5f8.png