IGNORED

09 RT BMW Low Seat

Redman

Just got a 09 r1200rt (I'll skip the story leading up to that).

It has a lower seat. I am told it is a BMW option (not aftermarket).

Yah, its lower, but after not too long I come to realise it seems to also have me a bit further forward, and that has effect on knee angle.

Question: If I were to start a search for stock seat, what years/models should I search for? r1200rt 2005 thru 2009?  2005 thru 2013?

11 hours ago, Redman said:

Also need the dog bone thing that goes in the height adjustment notches..

11 hours ago, Redman said:

Question: If I were to start a search for stock seat, what years/models should I search for? r1200rt 2005 thru 2009?  2005 thru 2013?

Morning  Redman

My parts book shows the 2005 through  2013 should fit your 2009.  If your 2009  has a heated seat option then you might look for a heated seat (at least the front part). If no passenger then you can probably use either a heated or nonheated rear part. 

You might post on this site looking to trade a low seat for the standard seat as there might be someone that just bought a standard seat BMW 1200 hexhead/camhead that is looking for a low seat. 

You might find the standard seat attachment/adjuster parts on E-Bay (are your front seat rear stepped pockets still there?)

fourteenfour

I was under the impression that the single piece low seat was only available on the low suspension RT.

realoem.com still works to find parts and will accept a VIN

I have a 2007 that came with several seats. One is a standard heated seat and one is a standard unheated seat. Without a standard pillion seat either of these is no help to you as they are rider seats and I have no pillion seat to match but if you could find a pillion seat perhaps one of these would work for you.

On 6/5/2021 at 6:57 AM, dirtrider said:

My parts book shows the 2005 through  2013 should fit your 2009.  . . . . .

Thanks.

On 6/5/2021 at 6:57 AM, dirtrider said:

(are your front seat rear stepped pockets still there?)

In front, on the bike are the places for where that dogbone thing can be placed in 2? or 3? places for different heights. But the dogbone thing isnt there.

Am not aware that should be any such in the rear.

On 6/5/2021 at 9:13 AM, fourteenfour said:

I was under the impression that the single piece low seat was only available on the low suspension RT.

. . . . . 

ew, ouch.

When I was at the dealer, looking at the used bikes, the place was crazy busy (some sales people out at a demo day held in another city up north). THe service manager helped me out, said he had some familiarity with that bike, and he thought it was just a low seat not entire low suspension bike. But maybe he didnt really know.  I wonder if there are some other "tells".

10 hours ago, bmwnomad said:

Go to https://www.mdecoder.com/ and enter your VIN. This should tell you what options the bike came with from the factory. Option code 499 is low suspension and 776 is low seat. 

THanks.

THat list the production date and other interesting stuff.

And did list 

0350 exhaust chrome,  0449 lowering, 0519 heated grips, 0538 cruise control,  0539 on board computer

did not list 0776 low seat

Maybe the "0449 lowering" includes the seat.

12 minutes ago, Redman said:

THanks.

THat list the production date and other interesting stuff.

And did list 

0350 exhaust chrome,  0449 lowering, 0519 heated grips, 0538 cruise control,  0539 on board computer

did not list 0776 low seat

Maybe the "0449 lowering" includes the seat.

Morning Redman

In looking at your pictures above it looks like you have the "Extra Low"  Seat on that motorcycle. There was a Low & an Extra Low. 

After doing a little more research and using my favorite site for part lookups, realoem.com, I have found that option 499 contains both lowered front and rear shocks as well as the "extra low" bench seat.  Option 776 is the low 2 piece seat only.

4 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Redman

In looking at your pictures above it looks like you have the "Extra Low"  Seat on that motorcycle. There was a Low & an Extra Low. 

Okay.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, bmwnomad said:

After doing a little more research and using my favorite site for part lookups, realoem.com, I have found that option 499 contains both lowered front and rear shocks as well as the "extra low" bench seat.  Option 776 is the low 2 piece seat only.

Okay.

THanks.

So, Lowered (x0499) is lowered suspension front & back and extra low seat that is one piece. I did see in microfisch is a heated and an unheated. (mine unheated.)

And Low seat (x0776) is the two piece.

beemer chuck

Might want to look at the 1 piece comfort seat. My bike is an standard ESA model lowered for the Miami dealer principal and came with this seat. This seat is about as low as the low 2 piece seat but the bucket is farther back than the ultra low seat. Replaced it with a BMS low front and standard rear.

If your interested pm me as I no longer use the seat. It has front and rear heat.